What type of surgery will i be having?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

What type of surgery will i be having?

Postby jpg2502 » 30 Aug 2013, 11:03

Hi All.
I am pretty sure i am going to need surgery for my issue.
Its been on and off for what feels like years, but for the past few months is has most definately been ON non stop!
I have a tear above my anus, which just will not heal. Some days its OK, some days its very red and sore.
I also have what feels like loads of very sore very small tears around the anus.
I have been on GTN cream for nearly a month, and its not made much difference, apart from subsiding the itching - what is it actually supposed to do? Image 
What sort of surgery am i looking at having here? And do you always need to be 'put to sleep'?
I read a story on the net not long ago of someone talking about there surgery and how the nurse was 'talking to them throughout', so they must have been awake....
jpg2502

Topics: 2

Re: What type of surgery will i be having?

Postby Ever the Optimist » 30 Aug 2013, 14:23

Hi Jpg,
Have you received a proper diagnosis from a CRS (Colon & Rectal surgeon) yet? because only a medical professional will be able to confirm the best course of action for you......
It really depends on what they diagnose which will determine what type of surgery you may/ may not undergo.
You say the tear is above the anus?? Is this external on the skin or internal and causing you spasms, bleeding, pain during & after BMs?? If you have been prescribed GTN and it's not helping, I can only imagine that what you describe is not an internal fissure or you need an alternative treatment? I think I would definitely be going back to ask more questions.......I really wouldn't worry too much about about be putting to sleep just yet - I would be wanting a better diagnosis of what's going on. Generally though, if that is what is required, most people are given a general anaesthesia to completely put them to sleep for the duration of treatment. It's easier for the surgeon to work properly and far kinder to you so you don't suffer any unnecessary discomfort or stress.
I wish you all the very best in getting your issues resolved.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Re: What type of surgery will i be having?

Postby jpg2502 » 31 Aug 2013, 03:57

Ever the Optimist wrote:Hi Jpg,
Have you received a proper diagnosis from a CRS (Colon & Rectal surgeon) yet? because only a medical professional will be able to confirm the best course of action for you......
It really depends on what they diagnose which will determine what type of surgery you may/ may not undergo.
You say the tear is above the anus?? Is this external on the skin or internal and causing you spasms, bleeding, pain during & after BMs?? If you have been prescribed GTN and it's not helping, I can only imagine that what you describe is not an internal fissure or you need an alternative treatment? I think I would definitely be going back to ask more questions.......I really wouldn't worry too much about about be putting to sleep just yet - I would be wanting a better diagnosis of what's going on. Generally though, if that is what is required, most people are given a general anaesthesia to completely put them to sleep for the duration of treatment. It's easier for the surgeon to work properly and far kinder to you so you don't suffer any unnecessary discomfort or stress.
I wish you all the very best in getting your issues resolved.

thanks.
yes i had an appoint with the rectal surgeon and he is the on who prescribed me the GTN. he said if there was no healing by my next appointment in october, then he would have to operate.
the fissures are not internal, and there is no blood. infact bowel movements dont hurt too much. just a little uncomfortable.
the pain usually comes throughout the day and it was VERY bad at night and stopped me from sleeping - though it hasnt been as horrendous since the GTN cream. its still red and sore though.
jpg2502

Topics: 2