Fiber and water intake.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fiber and water intake.

Postby knitter89 » 30 Aug 2013, 14:26

Hello,
I'm wondering about how much water is too much water...as in if I consume more fibre and drink a lot of water, BM should be formed correct? But what if you're taking fiber, and you drink an excessive amount of water....lets say 3-4 litres of water a day. Would that cause BM to be more loose? I'm just wondering because I was doing my regular fiber diet, but the last week has been incredibly hot so I've been drinking all that water to stay hydrated, but over the last week, I have my BM in the morning (usually in afternoon/evening), and it's very loose. But then yesterday I tried something, regular fibre but less water, and today was ok, regular BM.(also, no pain today, YAY!)
Has anyone else experienced this? I know there is such thing as too much water, but would it have an effect on a persons BM if they are eating extra fibre?
knitter89
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Fiber and water intake.

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 06 Sep 2013, 10:18

Depends depends depends.... knitter89.
The type and amount of fiber corresponding with your water intake can indeed affect your stools consistency. Drinking too much water can be an issue as you suggest as it can cause an electrolyte imbalance among other things. The amount your drinking does not sound too ridiculously high though to worry about this.
So it does not sound like your in too much danger from the amount you drink though. I would question as to when your drinking most of those 3-4 litres as that may play a role in some of your concerns.
But, yes water definitely has an effect on a person bm consistency with or without fiber.
I agree with this sites quote....
"It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!
The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time."
chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm
Deleted User 2950

Re: Fiber and water intake.

Postby Zeesh » 06 Sep 2013, 14:03

If you take enough water, your stool will tend to be more watery as in soft rather than hard. It won't be like diarrhea though. As for fiber, there's difference between soluble and insoluble fiber. Both cause slightly different effects. Insoluble causes your stool to pass quickly through your intestines, thereby making sure that not much water is absorbed by your colon. It also bulks up your stool, so you form nice big but soft stools.
Soluble fiber causes things to slow down. It attracts water and causes stool to form into a gel. Although longer time spent in colon can cause you to absorb more water. So it's best to eat both type of fiber in good amounts. Also important is to drink ample water with your fiber supplements (if your taking some).
Zeesh
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2