soft stool

Need diet advise for fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

soft stool

Postby Claudia » 23 Sep 2013, 16:56

Hi to all,
I'm new to this support forum but am SO excited to LEARN and hopefully treat my fissure before it becomes chronic. It is the third fissure that I have and the last one was just in May. The new one started about three weeks ago. I've been to the doc and got the Diltiazem ointment. Drinking at least 4 (16once) glasses of water a day. Taking bath three times per day and colace twice a day (am and pm). Unfortunately I retear, bleed and hurt so badly everytime I pass stool. I'm trying to eat more fiber like Bran and veggies but so far I have the same problem. Someone said to get the stool to Bristol 6. I looked up what it meant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_stool_scale) but am unsure how to change my diet to get there. Matter of fact I really don't want to eat at all anymore since I'm in too much pain. I would be so happy to learn how to handle this. Please help
Claudia
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: soft stool

Postby England » 23 Sep 2013, 17:04

Try Fybogel a powder which u mix with water, not a cure by itself but it makes it easier and regular to have a BM
England
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 23 Sep 2013, 17:55

Claudia said

I'm trying to eat more fiber like Bran...

Screeech!!!

While bran is a good source of fiber and good for us, it is considered an insoluble fiber, the type that bulks us up. That may be why you continue to experience large stools and to re-tear. Now your job is to balance the soluble fiber with the insolubles to produce more manageable size stools.

Yes, this is a bit tricky at first, but once you find the right diet and or other help-a-longs, like stool softeners or olive oil, water intake, then you can really control the likelihood of re-tears or large stools.

Its the soluble fiber that you may now want to try to bump up a little, this will help lessen the bulkiness in your stools.
Perhaps the hardest part for you now is learning what are the soluble and insoluble foods to eat. In the next several months you will become familiar with what your body needs to keep those stools just right. Its a learning process, but you will get there with persistence and patience.

Heres a good thread in this site to get you started on "what to eat/what not to eat."
http://anal-fissure.org/foods-to-avoid-foods-to-increase-t5796.html

Hthelps & GL
Deleted User 2950

Postby Claudia » 23 Sep 2013, 20:23

Thanks England for the suggestion of using Fybogel. I'll googled it and will order it online. I can't get to the store, too many stairs and no elevator.

Big Thank You to Buttastic. I stopped with the Bran right away. Saw a good site for Fiber (insoluble and soluble) and will change my diet asap. :lol:
Claudia
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 23 Sep 2013, 21:25

Are you in the USA?
Fybogel is the same as psyllium fibre, which is the main ingredient of Metamucil. You can get metamucil or own-brand psyllium from any pharmacy or grocery that has basic health products.
Oatmeal is a good source of soluble fibre.
Keep drinking!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby dent1 » 24 Sep 2013, 01:53

I found that movicol/laxido worked better than fibogel for me. Not sure what the US version is - but it works really well where other laxatives did not work for me.
dent1
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Claudia » 24 Sep 2013, 11:00

Thanks so much for your suggestions Scientist and denk1.! I'm in the USA and will look into Metamucil and psyllium. This morning all hell broke loose again. I can't walk or sit or stand for long. Arrrgh! The bed has become my sanctuary. I'm a freelancer and had to turn down work for the 3rd week. Anxiety and worries are now creeping up. I have to get better. I've changes my diet to only eat veggies and tofu with olive oil for the last couple of days. I'm aiming at Bristol 6 BM so I won't tear again and again. I only eat once per day. Is that okay? My heart goes out to all the brave worriers that battle the pain every day like me.
PS. The doc gave me a cream as for pain relief but it has no effect and Ibuprofen does not do it either. Any thoughts?
Claudia
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 24 Sep 2013, 11:06

Oh wow, I'm sorry ibuprofen is not helping you. When I was at my worst it really only took the edge off, but it was better than nothing. Sometimes I'd take 3 pills, which is more than I should, but you do what you have to do, right?
Be careful of tylenol. Acetaminophen is easy to OD on, and the consequences can be fatal for some.
What cream did your doctor give you?
When you say you only eat once a day, do you mean one big meal a day, or do you mean you are eating very little - only one meals-worth per day?
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby Claudia » 24 Sep 2013, 11:29

I was drinking a protein shake to try out a liquid diet in the morning and then a real meal at night. Today I had a Mango instead. The cream the doc gave me is called Lidocaine Hydrochloride Jelly 2%. It does not help me, it just burns. What does work is taking a warm sit bath right after a BM. Otherwise I'm burning and hurting so much that I can't think of anything else but curse words while crying and limping around the room. I'll give Advil another try.
Claudia
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 24 Sep 2013, 11:43

Yeah, lidocaine was useless for me too. The nurse also prescribed a stronger version, lidocaine/prilocaine, and that didn't help either. And it did burn.
I'm a great fan of warmth. The baths are good, and you can also sit on a heat pad or warm hot-water bottle.
It doesn't just help the pain, it also relaxes the anal sphincter to improve blood supply for healing.
I don't know much about diet, but my stools are soft. I take 5 psyllium capsules twice a day - total about 5 grams. I eat oatmeal in the morning, with some fruit like grated apple, raisins, peach etc. I avoid banana because I'm afraid it might be constipating.
I love bread, but have really cut down on it.
I always eat a lot of fruit and veg - always have. Drinking a lot of water is key - you already know that - and if things aren't going well I take Kondremul mineral oil laxative, which lubricates the BM. You have to order it, as few pharmacies carry it.
All in all, I've had only one hard stool since May, so that diet has been successful for me. I don't worry too much about what I eat, but just make sure to get enough fibre.

Good luck! If you are like me, you'll have browsed this forum extensively and picked up a lot of hints and tips for your diet. You have to experiment, and it may take a while. Supplemental fibre and laxatives will help you while you sort out what you can and can't eat.

If your BMs are soft, eventually the pain WILL fade. It seems like forever while you are still in the bad phase, but it DOES end, or at least improve. Hang in there!
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516