What does your Diltiazem look like? Cost?

Wondering if mine is going to be effective.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

What does your Diltiazem look like? Cost?

Postby leahnola » 29 Sep 2013, 16:25

So I called a local, well known pharmacy to ask if they compounded Diltizem. They said they did, that it was very common and inexpensive; so I had my doc's office fax the prescription to them. Once they had the prescription, they quoted me a price of $15.98. I thought that was great but also a little concerning. My doctor didn't want to prescribe it for me, because he said the price is "through the roof". Another poster here said that she paid $40, and I saw someone else who said $50.

Anyway, my prescription label says "Diltiazem 2% Gel". It is the consistency of hand lotion and is a pale orange/peach color. It was dispensed in a pill bottle, so I have to scoop it out with my finger. (I see several people saying it should be in a petroleum jelly base.)

The first time I used this (3 nights ago), I woke up thinking it was a miracle drug! Overnight, my sentinel pile (which has been very swollen and aggravated the whole 4 months of this agony) had shrunk down to its pre-fissure size! I was actually able to easily insert some vaseline internally for my morning BM, which has been difficult because the sentinel pile had the rectal opening very closed off. I still had some pretty bad spasm pain that day for several hours, but I was encouraged by the pile shrinkage.

Well, since that first night I have seen no more dramatic improvements. The pile swelled up again later that day and has remained swollen. I'm not really feeling any improvements, although it has been only 2&1/2 days. Someone said that when they apply their ointment their spasms stop. That is certainly not happening with me.

Has anyone else used Diltiazem that was made like mine? How much did it cost? Did it work? Regardless of the type you have, how long did it take to feel a real difference? Do you use it externally only, or do you apply it inside?

It seems like the active ingredient is all that should matter, but I am just wondering about these things.

Thanks!
leahnola
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: What does your Diltiazem look like? Cost?

Postby Mommaof1 » 30 Sep 2013, 09:44

Hi. Mine was clear. It looks just like vaseline. Its called 2% diltiazen ointment. I paid $40. It did not work at all for me. Not much help, sorry.
Mommaof1
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Mommaof1 » 30 Sep 2013, 09:48

I should also add, that diltiazem comes in different colors, shapes, sizes, strengths, so that's likely why its orange. They probably used the orange tablets. Not sure about the hand cream consistency.
Mommaof1
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby pinpin » 30 Sep 2013, 10:06

The one I got from dear owmybum!!!

IMG_20130930_180410.jpg
IMG_20130930_180410.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 4613 times
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Savaici » 30 Sep 2013, 10:17

In the States, it is compounded in many different forms. Mine was also in a gel formula because I am allergic to vaseline and lidocaine.

Here is info from wikipedia on its use:

'When applied topically, it is made into a cream form using either vaseline or Phlojel. Phlojel absorbs the diltiazem into the problem area better than the vaseline base. It has good short term success rates. Like all nonsurgical treatments of anal fissure, it does not address the long term problem of increased basal anal tone and does not decrease the subsequent recurrence rate that can vary between 40 and 60%.' Hope this helps, leahnola. :sunny:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby lefthanded » 30 Sep 2013, 13:05

Mine is also compounded @ 2% with 5% lidocaine in an aquaphor base.
lefthanded
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby leahnola » 30 Sep 2013, 14:05

Thanks for all of the answers! I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Savaici, thank you for that information. It is very helpful.

My bottle does not say if there is lidocaine in it. Is that standard?

Now, to igrik, savaici and lefthanded: Did the Diltiazem work for you? If so, what improvements did you see, and how long did it take? If anyone else would like to respond, that would be great, too.
leahnola
Fibre Addict

Postby rw76 » 30 Sep 2013, 22:05

Mine is just the diltiazem with a vaseline base on a little tub. No lidocaine in it - although I did get a separate Rx for that and honestly it doesnt do that much for me - I barely ever use it.
rw76
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby knitter89 » 01 Oct 2013, 08:47

Is the only way to get this with a prescription?? Just curious, I have a prescription for it :)
knitter89
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby leahnola » 01 Oct 2013, 11:54

Thanks for your input, RW76. Are you saying the Dilziatem or the lidocaine doesn't work? Or neither?

Knitter, as far as I know, a prescription is required in the States and other countries as well.
leahnola
Fibre Addict

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion