Saw CRS yesterday/surgery?

surgery decisions

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Saw CRS yesterday/surgery?

Postby sotiredofthis » 01 Oct 2013, 07:46

Hi everyone,

Quick background: I've had this stupid fissure for one year now. Wow I can't believe I've been dealing with this for so long! Typical heal/re-tear rollercoaster. I've used nitro with much success just can't get it to heal completely and stay healed!

Here's the latest. I saw another CRS yesterday as the one I was seeing has taken off a year to go back to school. This appointment was awful. Really awful! The CRS was very rough and yesterday and today I am in more pain. I am dreading my BM this morning. Not a great bedside manner either. He does have 25 years experience as a board certified CRS though. I really miss my original CRS!

Anyway, the first CRS recommended Botox as a first treatment and tag removal. He was much more conservative especially since I have IBS. This new CRS however says I need LIS, tag removal, and hemmie surgery. He thinks the Botox would just be a band-aid. He claims in 25 years he has never had anyone have long term incontinence. He also says if by chance that would happen he could go in and fix it. He thinks after the surgery I would be up and about in less than a week. From the stories I've read here, I don't think a week is any where close to correct!

To say I'm scared to death is an understatement. I know I can't do anything until January. I have so much going on in the next 3 months that I can't risk any further problems. After reading all the posts on here of surgeries and complications, I am so afraid of something going wrong. Be it either incontinence or more pain or worse yet surgery failure. I'm so tired of this controlling my life!!!!

I have 4 kids at home. 2 who work and go to college and 2 that I homeschool. How on earth am I supposed to take care of myself and them after surgery?

I just don't even know what to do or where to start. Please offer any advice you can.

Thanks for listening.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Re: Saw CRS yesterday/surgery?

Postby suzyljank » 01 Oct 2013, 09:09

Hi, and I'm so sorry you're suffering. That's a bunch of procedures to contemplate. My hemmie surgery is what sent me on my journey with anal fissures. The scarring from it narrowed my anus so much I just kept retearing. I would tell everyone to avoid hemmie surgery if at all possible. LIS is a simple surgery that works for most people and the chance of incontinence is very slim and if you do get a bit of it it usually goes away. I had LIS but it didn't work for me but the recovery wasn't bad. I finally had bilateral advancement flap surgery this past april and this procedure removed the scar tissue from two side of my anus. In the process the tags were removed too. New tissue was stitched in to replace the scarring. It was a long recovery and there was pain but it was all tolerable. I think what's happening with you could be that while you start to heal when you retear you are creating more scar tissue and it's cumulative. Scar tissue doesn't stretch like healthy tissue and that's why you retear. Surgery is a big step. I can't tell you what you should do but I will tell you if you opt for surgery be comfortable and confident with your CRS. If you don't like the one you just saw and he's got a bad bedside manner it might be worth getting another opinion. Even LIS while a relatively simple surgery, is a delicate surgery and you need to be confident in the person performing it. As far as recovery goes it if you had all the procedures your CRS suggested I don't think you'd be up and fully recovered in a week. Recovery takes time. Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the best. Take care. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby sotiredofthis » 01 Oct 2013, 09:27

Thanks, Suzy. I've been following your story and praying for you. I'm so happy for you to be on the road to recovery. What a long journey.

My biggest concern is all those surgeries at one time. I've also heard people say to avoid hemmie surgery at all cost. I mentioned that to him and he said he's never had someone tell him they wish they hadn't had it after it was done. Still very unsure about that one.

I'm sure he knows what he's doing with all his years of experience but his bedside manner was awful! I wonder if I would even feel comfortable calling him if I had any problems after the surgery. I'm not sure he would even care! How far do you take expertise over caring?

The thought of another opinion makes me cringe as I know that will mean another exam. Right now, I can imagine that.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 01 Oct 2013, 11:03

Hi, experience is important but so is bedside manner. I was fortunate to have a very knowledgable and kind CRS. I had to call him or his office a few times. I started to bleed heavily one evening and had to call. I was lucky they were able to help me without me having to go to the emergency room. I was a mess and my poor husband was more upset than I was because of all the blood and the entire office was great with both of us. Surgery is a big decision so take your time. Read up on the hemmie surgery. The most common cause of anal stenosis is from hemmie surgery.

Not all CRS's will do a rectal exam right away. My doctor took one look at me and decided the only way he would do an exam was if I was under anesthesia so that's what I did. We talked about the type of surgery I would probably need. He drew me pictures to show me what might be done and explained in detail. We scheduled the exam and possible surgery and we discussed beforehand what would and would not be done during the procedure. Details are very important. I woke up with a double flap and a few nights in the hosptial but I knew this was probably going to take place. I knew what types of pain meds I would have available and what type of diet and stool softeners I would need. I was scared out of my wits but I knew I had no other choice because I had let things go too long.
Someone told me to stop being scared and do what I had to do to get my life back and to remember when I took that first step I was starting on the road to recovery. I told myself that everyday. Good luck, be brave and know that there are people here to help you along the way. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby bumtastic » 01 Oct 2013, 11:09

sotiredofthis
I just had all three done about a week back. My Hem surgery was very minor and was not even bothering me at that time except for little blood when i had a really hard stool but has been the most painful so far. I am not sure how bad your hems are. The doctor said he fixed up the hem because he saw a little blood.
My recovery from LIS/Fissurectomy has been pretty straight forward/ painfree so far. I dont know if i am healed but i think i am getting (No more spasms,pain and blood) there. I did have some incontinence (gas- the first day and Stool once or twice when the stool was very liquidish) but it is getting better.
If your hems are really bad and you are getting the LIS then you can probably get it done. But try and get some support at least for the first week. If your hems are not really bad, you can probably avoid that for now. Having said that you and your CRS are probably the best judge of what to do in your condition.
Defn get a second opinion about getting all three done together and whether you really need it if you are not sure about your CRS.
bumtastic
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby sotiredofthis » 01 Oct 2013, 16:15

My hem isn't bad at all. I didn't even know I had one until he said something.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 02 Oct 2013, 13:49

I would exercise caution when having external hem surgery..... Myself and another few boardies have suffered even worse since having tags/hems removed. If its not bothering you.... Leave well alone!!!
If you are not happy with the new CRS could you look for a new one?? It's not nice when they are rough.... I hope things settle down for you soon. X

Omb
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby sotiredofthis » 02 Oct 2013, 17:30

Thanks, OMB. I am seeking another opinion. I just want to wait until things do settle down some. Right now I'm just too sore for another exam. What a jerk!! I want to see what another CRS says and then decide. I know I'm waiting until January to have surgery as I just have so much going on these next 3 months. I'm praying I can get it under control again until then. We have a trip scheduled to Disney World in December with our kids. Probably our last with all the kids together so I really, really want to be able to go.

I'm thinking I probably won't do the hem surgery either way though. I never even knew I had one until this CRS said something so it wasn't ever bothering me.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby bumtastic » 02 Oct 2013, 20:24

Find out from your CRS where the hems are and see if have ever felt pain or burning in that area. Another thing that i did was i got into a routine like two weeks before the surgery food wise. Used to have a balanced meal but also didnt really switch it too much. The trick is make sure you keep your stools as consistent and well formed as possible. You can probably start using Miralax like a week before your surgery if your stools are hard.
bumtastic
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby sotiredofthis » 03 Oct 2013, 07:10

Thanks bumtastic. I will definitely ask about where the hem is located. Unfortunately, I have IBS and keeping my stools consistent is so difficult. I have loose stools for the most part and had that one bout of constipation back in September last year that started all of this. The IBS is why I've been so afraid of surgery and have tried to avoid it at all cost. I'm to the point though of just wanting to end this cycle of pain and surgery seems to be the only long term option. I've been on and off nitro since January and while it works it's only short term before another tear or irritation begins. I just want off the rollercoaster and want my life back!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist