AF Diary - Botox & Tag Removal

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: AF Diary - Botox & Tag Removal

Postby vdb324 » 17 Oct 2013, 17:47

Day 8 Post-Surgery:

Today was painful in the morning. However, my BM was rather short (4 on scale), so either I didn't have enough fiber to empty out or yesterday was a full cleanse. I am feeling a little constipated this evening, so i am thinking it may have been the former.

Still some slight bleeding from the tag removal site. The rash felt really itchy at some points today, as did the tag removal site. In addition, I felt continued pulling/tearing throughout the day. I called the nurse, who I am sure by now thinks I am crazy, and she said that they did give me some internal stitches and that may be what I am feeling. I guess I didn't know they used stitches for the tag removal. So, in my defense, my call was worthwhile. She also reaffirmed that the continued light bleeding and some pain is nothing that should be uncommon at this point still. Yesterday was just so extremely difficult, and the pain was radiating even with underneath the pain pill.

I go in tomorrow to pick up a prescription refill, and I'm sure I'll have about 20 new questions for the poor nurse and assistant by that point. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like they have a constant relationship with their CRS' team? I hate to be that person, but at the same time, I have no idea what's going on or what to expect. They need to give you a "What to Expect" pamphlet that covers what's normal and what's not.

That's part of the reason this board is so good. For example, my skin tag. I visited my doctor in mid-September and nothing was there other than the fissure. A week later, I felt a pea-size lump when applying my cream. From this board and other sites, I was able to deduct that the lump was most likely a skin tag and not some scary cancerous growth.

:afsmile:
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby vdb324 » 18 Oct 2013, 16:40

Day 9 Post-Surgery

The last 24 hours have been dreadful. :(

First, last night was terrible. I had the worst BM in months, probably a 2. It must be the pain meds kicking in, but I wonder why so late with this side effect. I was in tears last night and had a hard time falling asleep from the pain, so back to the pain meds. It's like an endless cycle. And, I woke up in night sweats last night. This never happens to me. I got so little sleep last night.
I upped my Miralax dosage to a full cup in the morning and night (up from a half) and add in an extra Colace, but I'm not convinced Colace does a whole heck of a lot. My salad for lunch had so many veggies on it, and I took my full scoop of Metamucil again. But now, I have gone the bathroom twice today within 8 hours... I don't want that either, but I suppose I prefer it to last night. Perhaps, 75% full is the magic number for Miralax?

To top it off, I have am not feeling well generally. I have a headache and some other problems, so I think I am going to go to the urgent care center later. I don't think any are fissure-related, but I am very hesitant going to a regular doctor just a week out of surgery. I guess I'll just have to be very thorough in my briefing of my recent surgeries and problems. UGH.

When will it end?! :groan:
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby vdb324 » 20 Oct 2013, 09:14

Day 10 Post-Surgery:
Also, a rough day. The BMs were a bit better - a 5-6, which I prefer at this point to a 3-4. Had to go twice, as I do whenever I take more than two cups of Miralax in a day, so that part isn't ideal, but I'll take it to the pain. I still have some pain afterward, which feels located higher up - near my coccyx bone. I didn't take any of my real pain meds today, and instead, I only took two Tylenol Extra Strength pills. I went for a mile walk, and my rash was bothering me, so we had to turn back, which was frustrating, seeing two weeks ago, I was running four miles. I suppose I need to keep in mind I am recovering. Sometimes, I am too ambitious. I did manage to get groceries later, but that a challenge. Also, I made it out for dinner with the husband and had no problems there - other than just worrying about whatever I was ingesting...

Took a nice, warm sitz bath with calming music, candles and tea to help relax after my long day, and hopefully, lower the high blood pressure I have seemed to develop alongside the AF.

Had trouble falling asleep initially due to some itching feeling, but after a few desperate prayers and pleas, I was fast asleep for the rest of the night.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rachael 1984 » 20 Oct 2013, 09:23

Keep going VDB, you can do this.....
Those god damn re-tears are so disheartening, I have had plenty of them. The Botox took 3 weeks to kick in for me. You have time yet, just keep the routine. Are you taking stool softener and adjusting your diet? They also told me to keep the area dry, so I dried my bottom with a hair dryer! Xxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby vdb324 » 20 Oct 2013, 21:30

Thanks, Rachael. I am taking stool softeners and Miralax. Lots of veggies, fruits and whole grains throughout my diet and over 100 ounces of water each day.

Day 11 Post-Surgery
Today was one of the best days yet. Woke up later, thanks to the weekend, and had a bm right away, and it was probably a 6-7. This seems to be better for me than the 3-4, so I'll take it. Really little pain afterward, but an hour later, I had to go again. I'll take going twice over two nights ago... There was some radiating pain for the following hour, but the main issue of my day was the rash. The rash was really working itself up over the weekend. I think it might be all of the sitz baths drying it out. I went to the doctor for a female problem, and he said it is really dry down there. I imagine all of these creams, baths, etc. are just drying it out and making it miserable. I tried adding in some Aquaphor and Desitin, so hopefully, that will be help.

When I did apply my nifedipine lidocaine down there today after the first bm, it felt really tight, which made me nervous about the Botox not working properly. But, I am now attempting the low stress lifestyle, so make no mistake, it will heal! I found my "chill" music list has been helping quite a bit in relaxing me and not worrying about things, as well as distracting myself with other events and things to do, as well as my trust in that God will come through for me on this, as He always has in the past.

Hoping and praying for an equally good, if not better, day tomorrow!
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby vdb324 » 22 Oct 2013, 20:48

Day 12 and 13:

So, good news: the fissure seems to be under control. I hesitate to even mention it (:::knocking on wood:::), but my muscle spasms seem to be gone. My BMs have been in the 5-6 range.

Unfortunately, the bad news: another Women's Only part of this. I have seemed to develop a host of problems in the lady bits from the rash that spread from post-surgery. It's nearly unbearable. I have been told to hold on my sitz baths, too, which is frustrating, but they were uncomfortable.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby vdb324 » 23 Oct 2013, 20:16

Day 14:
BMs are still 5-6 and comfortable with no muscle spasms. Knock on wood. Continuing to take fiber supplement (1 tbsp), eating high fiber foods, drinking more than 100 ounces of water, 1 cup of Miralax at night and in the morning, 4 Colace.

Still having rash near surgery site and women's problems, but some marked improvement. Discontinued sitz baths in the meantime.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 24 Oct 2013, 16:32

Keep on going vdb.... Things will get better.
Are you using any creams with lidocaine in?? This always gives me an itchy blustery rash. It could also be a reaction to the Botox.... Have you tried taking any anti histamine s??

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby vdb324 » 24 Oct 2013, 19:07

Thanks, OMB. I am taking lidocaine, but I have been taking it for a few months now without a reaction. I called the NP again today for my CRS, and she had talked to the CRS, and he said it was probably the "perfect" storm of factors - bowel prep, surgery and the tag removal site, and then my bacteria infection, which gave me the rash. Today was stillr painful to walk, but other than that, I don't notice it. It feels very dry, so the NP said to lay off the steroid cream (seeing I am no longer itchy) and start using some some Balmex. I have my follow-up appointment on November 14, so I am going to try to hang in there until then.
Pain is a funny thing. I have a cold today. The cold takes my attention away from the rash pain. The rash took the attention away from my fissure pain. I guess it reminds me to be thankful when I only have an AF, and hopefully that day is right around the corner. I think my body is just so overworked right now. With the rash letting up some, I noticed the fissure pain again, but nowhere near as bad as it was right after surgery. I am still keeping between a 5-6 with a cup of Miralax at night and morning and Colace. And that's what I'll continue to take until my follow up. It means that I have to use the bathroom 2 to 3 times a day, but for me, this is better for cleaning out my system and doesn't give me harder bms. I don't dare cutback after a week or so ago when I was in agonizing pain when I cut back to a half cup in the morning and evening. I suppose that was too ambitous while on painkillers (constipation inducing) and just a week and a half out of surgery.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby vdb324 » 26 Oct 2013, 21:10

Day 17 Post-Surgery:

It's pretty much the same story. It seems like the Botox is working, but I did have some good runs with the AF before it acting up again before.

I am having bms about 2-3 times a day with a 6-7 on the scale. I know this isn't ideal, so I'll probably scale back on some Miralax. Right now, I am at a 3/4 cup in the morning and full cup in the evening, along with Colace. I am worried that the frequency is what might be irritating my rash.

After a bm, I have pain for about a minute - mostly a burning, which I assume is the rash. I have been extra careful to clean with wipes right now, seeing the skin is so sensitive. I don't really get much pain after that or any muscle spasms anymore. In fact, when I go to apply the cream, it is really easy now. When my AF was at its worst, it would be difficult to get cream in past the sphincter muscle.

In terms of the rash, the dry/cracking feeling has gone away. I have stopped taking Nystatin and moved to Balmex, per the recommendation of the NP. She recommended Balmex over Desitin, because it's supposed to be a less tacky consistency than Desitin, but they're really one in the same. The Balmex seems to be working a little better, but maybe that's just because I used Nystatin before it. The rash is still there, however, but it mostly just bothers me now after a bm or when I try to walk really fast - almost like a chafing.

My follow up with the CRS is in just two and a half weeks. I am hoping for some good news, and hopefully, to be able to at least attempt to run in a race. I'm sure I won't make the full 5K, seeing I am hardly walking much distance these days, but I at least want to try and walk it, if need be.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist