First time

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

First time

Postby Annette24 » 29 Oct 2013, 16:47

Hi I am knew to this site, but have been reading posts that have helped me considerably not feel so alone.
I was diagnosed in March this year and given rectogesic by Gp, tried but made no difference , at this time I just had immense pain when BO , saw colorectal doc in July who prescribed diltazem , felt a lot better when going to the loo, but since started immense spasms , firstly started straight after BO and went on for about 5 hours, reducing me to tears and had no ideas what to do, struggled thru at work, but each dreaded bowel movement brings these horrendous spasms, , finally seemed to get these for less time until jus left with an uncomfortable bruised feeling, , I thought I had beaten it, I started going to the loo no pain with a smile on my face, felt like I had my life back, but low and behold for no reason , went to the loo yesterday and blood there and spasms back not quite as bad but still enough to effect every thing in your life, why would it just come back like this, still taking movicol and diltazem, is this common for it to come back for no reason, I feel so down by this, I can't bear to live like this, any advice would be greatly appreciated, they have offered me botox but I am really not keen at all due to side effects.

Thanks
Annette24
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: First time

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 30 Oct 2013, 10:52

Hi Annette24

Sorry to hear about your suffering as what your describing is classic complications from these
darn fissures. Yes for no reason your fissure spasm can act up but there are a few things you
can do to try and lesson this and ease the discomfort.

Good to hear that the Diltiazem helped you. Its all about getting the blood to flow in that
region. So even hopping in the tub or shower after a bm will calm a spasming fissure. Also
not straining and having very soft stools will help greatly too. Some here have success
with taking in olive oil with their meals as this will coat the bm on the way out lessening
the need to push.

There are quite a few more tips and tricks to help cope with spasms you will find here.
Sitting on a heating pad or water bottle can also help. Yes we know its tough, we know
how awful you feel. But things will get better for you Annette24.........yes they will.

Good luck to you...
Last edited by Deleted User 2950 on 31 Oct 2013, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 2950

Postby Scientist2516 » 30 Oct 2013, 14:38

Hi Annette, I think it's really common to relapse. Hopefully each time it's less and less painful, and longer between relapses. Eventually you will heal completely, but it takes time. Try to take things easy, don't over-exert yourself.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Peppermint Patty » 05 Nov 2013, 14:00

Hi, Annette!

Welcome to the forum, and as you can see you are definitely not alone! So sorry you've had a setback - most of us have been there, and you will get through this. I was also diagnosed with my fissure back in March, and this whole year has been one huge rollercoaster ride with so many ups and downs. One day you feel okay and think things are getting better and then you wake up the next morning, have a BM and notice some blood or feel some pain. Talk about getting depressed! But as hard as it is, I'm trying my best to believe that things will get better. (I know, easier said than done!)

However, when I look back at how I was doing in March compared to how I am now, there is a world of difference. Are things perfect? Far from it! In fact I actually noticed some slight bleeding from my fissure over the weekend. Don't know why - I haven't changed a thing. Like you, no reason at all! So upsetting! So I sat myself down in a warm sitz bath, took some deep breaths and tried very hard to stay calm. (Once again, not easy!) The bleeding continued for a few days but fortunately no sign of anything today. (I'm trying to take that as a good sign!) But it is frustrating knowing that this AF can flare up at any given moment. Buttastic offered some great advice, though, and Scientist2516 is right, try to take things easy. One day at a time, as they say...

Anyway, hang in there, Annette, and know that you're going to be okay. We all will be! And also know that we're all here for you, too! Good luck!
Peppermint Patty
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Annette24 » 08 Nov 2013, 06:32

Thank you all for your support and kind words, been to see consultant yesterday, he says even tho it's lots better , I still had pain when he examined me, he wants to do put me under general and have a look around and do the botox at the same time, I am so worried as I know there is some awful side effects to botox, has anyone had botox? Not sure what to do? Thanks
Annette24
Fibre Addict

Postby JHH » 08 Nov 2013, 16:29

I wrote you a reply in your other thread, but can you tell me what awful side effects you are worried about regarding botox?
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Postby Annette24 » 08 Nov 2013, 16:56

Yes uncontrollable gas, leakage, what would you do if you got that, you couldn't work or function normally, scares me
Thanks JHH .
Annette24
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 08 Nov 2013, 16:59

I don't want to put you off even more, Annette, but another thing you hear about with Botox is hemorrhoids caused by the injection. And it really seems to matter how skilled your CRS is. I was quite keen on Botox until I read some of the accounts here, so I know where you are coming from.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby Annette24 » 08 Nov 2013, 17:22

Thanks for your input
Have you had botox? Or did you decided against it ?
all seems a bit hit and miss when you read all the stories .
Annette24
Fibre Addict

Postby Annette24 » 08 Nov 2013, 17:25

Hi peppermint patty

Thanks for your reply, have you had any other treatments apart from creams , botox or other?

A 24
Annette24
Fibre Addict