Just had botox injections

Botox injections

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Just had botox injections

Postby sugarspice » 31 Oct 2013, 12:23

Hi everyone,

I'm new and have just had botox injections for my chronic anal fissure.

My doctor told me that the sphinctorotomy surgery was not possible because although my sphincter is long, my fissure is very long too :cry:

I was wondering if anyone on here has had the botox injections? This is day 2 for me, I haven't had BM yet today I had one yesterday and it was still very painful, it made me want to crawl out the toilet on my hands and knees :roll:

Hoping to hear from someone who has had the botox and how they are a few weeks on :pray:
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Re: Just had botox injections

Postby JHH » 31 Oct 2013, 12:45

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

I had botox 4.5 month ago, and the first 4-5 days was the worst. I was sore, but BMs were OK (except the first ones), and the burning was almost gone from day 1.

I wrote a diary, you can find it here: botox-diary-t6816.html

Good luck, and happy healing.

P.S. Botox worked for me. Im healed now.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby sugarspice » 31 Oct 2013, 14:45

Thank you JHH that reply just made me cry!...just the thought that I 'might' finally be out of pain, I'm going to log onto your diary right away. Thank you so much for your reply :-)
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby JHH » 31 Oct 2013, 15:02

You are welcome :)

Just remember, the most important thing is to keep the stools soft, and not to strain. You need to avoid those dreaded retears. Botox will only help you so much, and healing must take place while botox is still active.

I will let you browse around now, but remember you can ask us anything, or just use us for emotional support!
- Got botox Jun '13
JHH

Postby sugarspice » 31 Oct 2013, 15:21

I'm taking Lactulose twice a day, morning & night, 15mls per time. Before the injections I was using Senokot which made my BM a bit too explosive! However, I haven't been today so thinking of taking another Senokot tonight. I am drinking tons of water and eating lots of fruit, vegetables, wholewheat pasta & rice and nothing white at all!! I am still eating wholemeal bread, but not sure if bread is ok?

I am terrified the botox won't work because as I said before when my surgeon looked he said he would be very reluctant to do the surgery (for fear of making me incontinent...which I obviously dont want!) but where does that leave me if this botox doesn't work? :-(

Sorry to sound so moany, but the pain takes over my life, I plan my life around my BM's and I have a gorgeous 8 month old baby (who I feel I am missing out on) and a lovely 3 year old who is very clingy and needs her mummy!
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby JHH » 31 Oct 2013, 15:52

Sounds like you are doing the right things. Lactulose also did the trick for me. For me, bread and pasta in small quantities, has not been a problem, but some experience otherwise.

Botox has about 50% chance of success, and if it fails, another round has 33% success rate. Thats a 66% chance of healing combined. Not bad I think. Besides, Im sure the more you help botox with soft stools, sitzbaths and excercise, the more chance you have for being in the success group.

If botox fails, and you are unable to have LIS, there are other options like flap and SAD, but even without surgery, chronic fissures can heal in time.

Moany??? Noooo, read my first posts on this forum, and you will see moany. I was in terrible pain, and felt my life was on hold. I know the pain, and how you feel, but remember, it will get better :)
- Got botox Jun '13
JHH

Postby sugarspice » 01 Nov 2013, 10:53

Thanks JHH, I have tried to be more positive today and have taken your advice. I went for a short walk last night, it was quite fun actually as I saw all the little kids dressed up in their Halloween outfits, they looked so cute!

This morning I was really worried as had still had no BM and was approaching the 48 hour mark :cry: So I went for another walk, it was only 45 mins as my little one started crying so I had to come home. Unfortunately the walk didn't help so I had a strong coffee (good old caffeine!) which didn't work either so I had another one and that did the trick!

Would you mind if update you with my BM's?....this is seriously the most bizzare question I have EVER asked a stranger :lol: I hope it's not too weird for you, but I want to hear if you think this is progress? Having read your diary it sounds quite similar to your first few days....

Wed (day after injections)

13.30 - Very painful BM, but no pull-up pain (this is how I describe the muscle contracting in/up after you have finished a BM...sorry if TMI!) Painful as ever afterwards, lying on floor in agony.

17.00 - No pain with BM (wow) painful pull-up but no after pain! Quite a lot of blood present.

Thur

NO BM :cry:

Friday (today)

12.30 - No pain with BM (wow) and no pull-up pain (wow) pain afterwards that lasted about 20 mins (as opposed to 7 or 8 hours) but not the level of pain I had before injections. The pain level has gone from "If you could put a bullet in my head I would be most grateful" to "Ok, this hurts but leave me alone for 5 mins and I will be ok" Not sure how else to describe it lol. I have had mild discomfort this afternoon and a few of those horrible shooting pains that take your breath away, these have worried me quite alot :pray:

I have also followed all my BM's with a sitz bath, which seem to really help.

I know you can't tell me for sure whether you think I might be on the mend, but just to hear your thoughts would be great. Thank you in advance!
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby JHH » 01 Nov 2013, 12:41

Please do not feel strange discussing BMs in here, its far from too weird for me. If you read my threads, you will find me sharing how I crapped the floor and myself while applying ointments before a BM. Also how I crapped in my sitzbath once. LOL sorry, its just so gross and unreal, but really, we talk about anything in here.

I agree, your experience does indeed sounds like mine so far (which is a good thing), and the next few days, will give us much more info, about how botox works for you. So far, I reckon you are making great progress.

Ahh yes, those shooting pains that comes out of the blue and stop you in your track... I had those too, but after a while you will get used to them. Just part of the healing I guess.

I hope you will continue your log, and I will add my comments as you come along :)
- Got botox Jun '13
JHH

Postby owmybum » 01 Nov 2013, 15:02

Hi sugarspice,

I had Botox back in June. I remember it was a good 10 days until I felt the Botox had really kicked in and made everything relax properly. It sounds like you are doing everything right in looking after yourself. I really feel for you having to look after two little ones in such pain.
I would just like to add that too much fibre... As in brown pasta, bread and rice can make fir larger stools, that may be painful to get out. Smaller portions of these bulking foods would be a good idea for now.

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby sugarspice » 02 Nov 2013, 15:36

Thanks OMB that's great. Do you mind if I give you a food diary snippet of a couple of typical days to see what you think or what I could change?

Day 1

B) 1x wholemeal toast with egg and a few mushrooms & tomatoes

L) Jacket potato with coleslaw and cheese and salad on the side

D) Salmon with vegetables (mediterannean style) and brown rice.

Day 2
B) Bran flakes with fruit

L) Vegetable soup and a brown roll

D) Cottage pie with vegetables in and carrots on the side.

How is this looking to you, is there too much bulky stuff in it?

Thanks in advance
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist