Losing Appetite

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Losing Appetite

Postby smiles18 » 05 Nov 2013, 16:52

I have noticed that for the past few months I haven't really craved any food... I don't have any desire to eat, and when I do eat, I don't really enjoy it. Has this happened to anyone else? I realize the connection it has with my AF, but it's hard to eat healthy and keep a good diet when I don't even feel like eating.

Does anyone have any good recipes for a vegan who is gluten free?
smiles18
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Losing Appetite

Postby east_1234 » 06 Nov 2013, 04:47

Hi Smiles18, is it because of AF you have had to suppress your appetite previously, and after a while 'classical conditioning' made you not want the food anymore? At the moment, I am struggling with controlling my appetite - I love my food but I am cutting out all meat, cheese, chocolate from my diet.. AF is taking away my pleasure in life! :(
I hope you find some good recipes.
east_1234
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Scientist2516 » 06 Nov 2013, 11:11

I'm sorry, Smiles, that must be depressing. I'm not a vegetarian, but I love Indian food, and I love rice and dal. There are lots of good recipes for cooking lentils with spices and garlic. I cook red lentils with turmeric and slices of fresh root ginger. When the lentils are done, I heat oil to high in a little frying pan, and quickly sizzle garlic, whole cumin seeds or mustard seeds and maybe some other whole spices like cloves. Then tip the oil and spices into the lentils, stir around and eat. This is great with brown rice, very fissure-friendly, and the smell of the spices cooking might give you an appetite. You can also fry ground turmeric - it smells wonderful heated up. Garlic and turmeric are supposed to be great for wound healing too.
Good luck!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby owmybum » 06 Nov 2013, 12:15

What about a nice vegetable soup?? My favourite is sweet potato and mushroom...
Gently sweat off some onion in olive oil, add chopped clove of garlic if you like, add a large chopped sweet potato and a handful of chopped mushrooms. Cover with veg stock and simmer until tender. Then I blitz with a hand blender.
I usually stir in a spoon of ground flax and a glug of olive oil... Because they are good for you, and give extra needed calories.
I know what it's like to loose your appetite because of the fissure.... Food becomes a bit of an enemy... But remember, we need good healthy food to help our bodies to heal.. Just remind yourself of that.

OMB xxxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby smiles18 » 08 Nov 2013, 14:35

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have been trying to eat healthy, and for the most part I think I do..but I mainly only crave comfort food.. I guess that makes sense since these things can be quite emotionally draining.
smiles18
Fibre Addict

Postby guest1 » 09 Nov 2013, 22:12

I also find that my appetite is not great these days and I lost a lot of weight since I have changed my diet drastically. I was eating vegetables and dairy products for a while and just recently started to go back to eggs and fish. Protein is very important in healing wounds. so now I am trying to add protein products to every meals. After not eating fish for about month and a half, I have enjoyed it a lot. But I need to watch my BM consistency , hopefully I won't need to restrict myself again. My dietician suggested to eat more soluble fibre.
So far the recipe that I like is a stew from sweet potato, zucchinis , onion and crushed tomatoes or tomato paste.
I think loss of appetite is also affected by anxiety, so it probably should be addressed first. I try to meditate and make positive affirmations. Wish you to heal soon!
guest1
Salt Bather

Postby Turk the cat » 09 Nov 2013, 23:15

Here's a question for Scientist2156 -- or anyone else, please and thanks!

You mention you love Indian food (who doesn't) but I envy you can eat it with problems. I find if I eat anything with curry or mustard (especially mustard actually) or other spices that get pooped out pretty much as they came in, that my bum hurts plenty hard.

I don't know if it is the spice rubbing against the fissure or skin tags or what, but it has been a real drag not being able to eat spicy foods. I still have some on occasion, and really should try again, I guess it is just when the fissure it at its worst.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Postby Scientist2516 » 09 Nov 2013, 23:25

Hmm, Turk, I'm not sure.
I don't cook with chili, or any hot spices. I just use cumin, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, garam masala, and so on.
I hadn't thought about whole spices being a problem, but I think it's easy just to use ground spices. They still taste really good, especially if you heat them in oil for a few minutes. It's not quite the same, but better than nothing.
I don't find the mustard to be a problem but I've noticed that a lot of people on this board have to be very careful what they eat, while I don't - I can eat anything. I just have to make sure I drink enough, and get plenty of fibre.
Well, I think I had a problem with steak once, but I don't eat much meat so I don't mind not having steak.

Hope that helps!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516