Pregnant with fissure

Anal fissure during pregnancy

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Pregnant with fissure

Postby Peggydoo » 07 Dec 2021, 16:03

Help!
I’m only 5 weeks pregnant and have had a fissure for 4 weeks. My GI dr gave me nifedipine with lidocaine, and I’m doing sitz baths, colace and Miralax (approved by my OB) but it keeps bleeding every morning and causing so much pain for hours afterwards.

I’ve been dealing with fissures for years now and had a small one in my last pregnancy but it cleared up in a few weeks with nifedipine. Then I had 2 years of no fissures after my son was born (c-section) so I thought I was in the clear! This time feels different and I’m terrified. Any tips or success stories on moms who went through this in pregnancy?
Peggydoo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Pregnant with fissure

Postby Fissure UK » 23 Dec 2021, 19:06

If you are not already using salt in the sitz bath, I can highly recommend it. Get the water nice and warm and it helps to dissolve the salt. Not too hot though- back of hand temperature. Salt is good for cleansing the area of open wounds.
Fissure UK
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Peggydoo » 23 Dec 2021, 23:47

Yes! I try to do 2 epsom salt baths a day! Definitely helps. How are you feeling? Still healed up ok? How long did you say you had your fissure for? I’m going on 5 weeks now so I feel like it’s chronic and I’m so scared it won’t heal :(
Peggydoo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Fissure UK » 24 Dec 2021, 08:51

Hi,
Not Epson salt. Epsom salt is a completely different compound to table salt. Put a heaped table spoonful of ordinary  table salt in the warm water. Also known as cooking salt.

To answer your question, I had managed to avoid fissures this year.

Then I started to eat some pasta, and it caused the fissure. It clumps together and does not absorb enough moisture. It does not move through the system like other food types. It is food type that is too processed.

It has only been 16 days since this  fissure. Being internal, it is obviously going to take longer to heal. The table  salt helped a lot though from the day I started using it.
Fissure UK
Salt Bather

Topics: 7