Questions about LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Questions about LIS

Postby msimon » 20 Aug 2014, 14:58

Hi all. Things continue to worsen for me and I am thinking that when this botox wears off it's time to get the surgery and finally put an end to this (no pun intended), hopefully. But I have some questions for those who have gone through it.

1) Did you have trouble having a BM (spastic muscles) and this was corrected with LIS? My sphincter is so tight right now I can hardly pass the softest BM. In my mind, unless the tight muscle (and I really don't know which muscle(s) are the problem) is addressed, my fissures will continue to reopen I am sure.

2) Did any of you notice other muscles get more tight when the IS was cut? Like the external sphincter?

3) Did any of you notice feeling too loose down there, like uncomfortable or unsupported or do you really only just feel a lack of spasm?

4) do you know how much of your IS they cut? ie., how long/deep?

5) did you have manometry done first?

This is such a hard decision for me as it seems that everything I have tried makes things worse (botox mainly-once into the pelvic floor-much worse, botox into IS-worse) and since surgery is permanent...

:thankyou:
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Re: Questions about LIS

Postby Jbl22424 » 20 Aug 2014, 23:23

1) Yes, things were tight before and difficult to pass.
2) No
3) No. I still had spasms for a week after surgery then they went away. Things were oddly loose the first few days after surgery specific to gas only. I couldn't hold it in. That went away. I had no trouble holding in a bm.
4) My surgeon said she did a conservative cut. I believe the current mindset is to cut as deep as the fissure up to the dentate (sp?) line?
5) No, not sure what that is.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have other questions!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9