questions from a newbie

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: questions from a newbie

Postby Guest » 07 Dec 2007, 21:02

Got another question. I've been taking sitz baths for awhile now and my husband suggested adding Epsom salts to help with the healing. I called my doctor and he said I didn't need to. He didn't say why. Just guessing here, but I think he just thinks it's not necessary. From what I know about Epsom salts baths, they help you relax, which I could definitely use. Is there any problems with using them when you have abrasions? Or are they strictly for relaxing your muscles?
Thanks again for your help!

Postby motherluch » 07 Dec 2007, 21:07

I would look into Natural Calm, it is what I take every night before bed to make me go in the morning, it is a powdered magnesium that you drink like tea, I really like it. I also, know that if I don't go by 9:00 am, it won't happen that day, so sometimes I go every other day as well, I feel much better if I go every day though. Also, if I do not feel the urge in the morning I definitely drink warm water and it helps.
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby Guest » 07 Dec 2007, 21:17

I use Epsom salts occasionally and notice a difference with them. It does help with inflammation so I would give it a try.

In fact, thanks for the reminder, I forgot I had some-I might try it out next bath!!!

Where do you get Natural Calm at? I may try that so I don't get constipated with the painkiller I am taking. I buy most of my stuff on line. Let me see if I can find any!

Postby bherna1 » 07 Dec 2007, 23:50

Try using non scented wipes not tolit paper. See if it clears up as far as bleeding. I also use aloe with out alcohol before and after BMs. CVS brand wipes and aloe in a tube, clear stuff.
Lecia wrote:It is very common for people to get abrasions in the anus. They tend to heal quickly and do not turn into fissures which are deeper. It sounds like from your exam you don't have anything to worry about. I would maybe see if adding some flax seed oil or fish oil supplements would help ease stool out for you and coat your anal canal so it doesn't sting.

I know when I have runny stools, it burns!!! Trying to find the balance is crucial so try different things until you find what works for you.

I think a probiotic supplement is important in keeping things balanced so you aren't constipated or have diarrhea. You can get this by adding yogurt with live cultures in your diet or by taking supplements like acidophilis.

It is possible to see a fissure from spreading the butt and pulling it apart a bit for the most part. My doctor generally doesn't do internals for fissures as it can irritate it more.

I think you caught your problem early enough that it may not really turn into a fissure issue. Take warm baths and maybe lube up the anus a bit when you go to protect it with something like KY Jelly or A&D ointment.
bherna1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby val » 08 Dec 2007, 13:14

You could try pure fruit juice half mixed with boiling water in a large mug every morning, that could help. And wheatgerm oil or vitimin e oil applied before you go to the bathroom, and another couple of times a day will be soothing and healing.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 10 Dec 2007, 11:39

Thanks again for all the help. I'm just getting a chance to get back on and read some of the board. Well, I've had the same kind of stool for the past few days and always a little blood on the toilet paper and now a couple of streaks on the stool itself. When I go, I can never figure out exactly where the sting is coming from. Yesterday, I took a bath with Epsom salts and it stung a little, but it helped me to very carefully feel down there and figure out where the cut is.
When my husband came home, he took a flashlight and looked for me. He found it right away before I even told him where it had been stinging. He said it's right above the anal opening, but not into the opening. It's in a straight line in the crack. He said it looks wet, like a wound that hasn't healed yet. I keep wondering how it can even heal. It would seem it would burst open everyday with a bowel movement no matter how soft it is. I did add the stool softener a few nights ago, but it really hasn't helped. Actually, the stool today wasn't fluffy or very soft at all! So, I don't know. My stomach is messed up from the Metamucil, I guess. I don't feel like eating much and have lost a few pounds. And I am thirsty all the time! I'm drinking way more water than 8-10 glasses. Just noticed this since I started taking the fiber. I've always been a big drinker, but now my mouth is so dry and I feel like I need to drink all the time. Which of course is making me get up one or two times a night to go to the bathroom where before I may get up now and then to go to the bathroom, not very often.
I'm trying to hold off until Jan. 8th for my regular yearly appt. with my doctor, but I may give in and go see him sooner. Anybody else really thirsty from taking Metamucil? Here it's only 11:30 in the morning and I've been up since 7. I've probably drank about 48 oz. already and I'm still thirsty. It's so coincidental that the thirst started with upping the Metamucil to 3 times a day or I'd say I was showing signs of diabetes.

Postby Guest » 10 Dec 2007, 12:06

I would urge you to go see your doctor now. There is no reason for you to suffer until next month if there is something that can be done or at least get you moving in the right direction.

A fissure is very hard to heal as it does get reinjured everytime you go to the bathroom. I would maybe put a little A&D ointment on it before you go to try to occlude and protect it when you go.

Fiber can make you very thirsty and you do need to increase your water intake while you are on it.

Postby buttgirl » 10 Dec 2007, 16:27

If it is on the outside, could you squat over a mirror and apply some liquid bandage? that might help the stretching, stuff getting inthe wound, etc... I've heard it works for some people.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67