questions from a newbie

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

questions from a newbie

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2007, 08:41

Hi everyone, I was doing some research this morning on the net and came across this wonderful board. I've been reading alot of the posts. I just started having problems in October and haven't had near the trouble that alot of you have had. But, I'm concerned and want to figure out how to handle things before they get worse.
I have had IBS for a few years, mainly very soft to slight diarrhea 3-4 times a day (mainly mornings). It used to be once a week or so, but in the past year it went to 3-4 times a week. Anyway, lots of burning afterwards. Now and then, I wouldn't go for a few days and the stool would get hard and difficult to go. In October, that's what happened and when I went there was streaks of blood on the toilet paper. The next day, even though the stool was soft again, a little more blood on the TP. Scared me because I've never had that before. So, I went in to see my GP. I thought maybe it was hemorrhoids or a fissure because I read up on those before I went. He said he didn't see any signs of either and it was just scratches. And that I needed to soften up my stool with Metamucil 3 times a day and he gave me a prescription for Anusol cream for a couple of weeks. He also said not to worry about it.
Well, things really softened up. I gave up drinking caffeine diet soda and started drinking lots of water. And I upped my fiber alot with bran cereal, wheat bread, etc plus the Metamucil. I had some very slight bleeding now and then for a few weeks. But, things were looking better until around Thanksgiving. I think I ate wrong and I had a couple of days of not going. When I did go, it was stinging and there was blood on the TP and the next day blood drips in the toilet. So, I'm religiously taking the Metamucil and drinking alot of water. But, I've noticed in the past 2 weeks that the stool is very lumpy. Not smooth like it was when I first started the Metamucil. I did some checking and the stool is definitely soft, just really lumpy with twists and turns in it. When I go, it stings and a little bleeding on the TP everyday now. I've been taking sitz baths to help calm things down.
Sorry this is so long, but I'm wondering if this is a sign of a fissure? Is this how yours started? I don't hurt really bad other than the sharp sting when I start to go. And then burning and itching most of the day. Then, it starts over the next day. I go see my GP for my regular yearly checkup in January and will ask him about it if it's still causing the bleeding, but I'd really be interested to hear what you all have to say. I know I don't hurt near as much as you all have. Did yours start out like a small tear and get worse? Not sure what the doctor meant when he said scratches. Could he have seen a fissure by just looking? I know he spread my rear end apart some and checked with at least his fingers I guess. I don't know if he used anything else to look or not. I do know it was uncomfortable and he kept saying he was sorry it was hurting.
Thanks for listening to me!
Julie
Oh, I've asked a couple of my friends and relatives about if they ever had something like this. They all say they have it now and then, some more than others. And they've never done anything about it, like go to the doctor. They just say it's nothing. I just think it's scary and so uncomfortable. I've just been really nervous about it and I'm sure that hasn't helped anything.

Re: questions from a newbie

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2007, 10:18

It is very common for people to get abrasions in the anus. They tend to heal quickly and do not turn into fissures which are deeper. It sounds like from your exam you don't have anything to worry about. I would maybe see if adding some flax seed oil or fish oil supplements would help ease stool out for you and coat your anal canal so it doesn't sting.

I know when I have runny stools, it burns!!! Trying to find the balance is crucial so try different things until you find what works for you.

I think a probiotic supplement is important in keeping things balanced so you aren't constipated or have diarrhea. You can get this by adding yogurt with live cultures in your diet or by taking supplements like acidophilis.

It is possible to see a fissure from spreading the butt and pulling it apart a bit for the most part. My doctor generally doesn't do internals for fissures as it can irritate it more.

I think you caught your problem early enough that it may not really turn into a fissure issue. Take warm baths and maybe lube up the anus a bit when you go to protect it with something like KY Jelly or A&D ointment.

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2007, 10:34

Thank you, Lecia! I appreciate your help. I think I worked myself up after seeing blood for the first time at my age, 48. From what I've been reading, a fissure would hurt more than what I have. This burns, it stings, uncomfortable to sit and definitely feels sharp when the stool is coming out. But, I don't have the spasms and terrible pain that I've been reading on the board. I wonder if having the diarrhea for all this time irritated and thinned the skin. I, also, wonder how long abrasions take to heal or if they are recurrent once you start getting them. The doctor didn't say how long it would take and I didn't think to ask. I'm going to do the best I can at healing this for the next month until I go in for my reguar appt. with him. And I'll have those questions ready for him if I'm still having problems.
Thank you for the help in explaining that he could see a fissure. Of course, that day and until today, I was thinking the worst even though he said not to worry. Worry! Me, nah! LOL . I wish I could relax more and not get worked up over things, I know that would help alot. Just hate to let things go and think later on I waited too long to get something fixed.
Oh well, rambling again. Thanks again for the clarifications and the advice. I will check out the board now and then and when this goes away, I'll write a short post to let you know that I worried about nothing, as usual. :-)
Julie

Postby Deleted User 5 » 06 Dec 2007, 11:07

Did yours start out like a small tear and get worse? Yes, most people start that way. I know I did. If your doctor does see a fissure, ask him to prescribe ditiazem or nefedipine 2% cream which will keep your anal canal from getting too tight -- if that happens the fissure won't heal properly and will get worse.
As for the twisty, lumpy stools, you just need to experiment with what you are eating by leaving things off until you find out what is causing it. One of the most difficult things anyone can ever try to do is make their stools the same consistency everyday, it is nearly impossible. But sooner or later you will hit on the right combination of healthy foods that give you the stools you're after.
But it's VERY hard...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2007, 13:06

HI Kim, I think it's just the same as it was in October. I don't think it's worse. I just got back from running errands and while I was out I decided to really work hard at relaxing about all this. I'm still going to eat fiber and take the Metamucil, but not go overboard like I've probably been. I think I was up to between 30-35 grams of fiber a day and maybe that was too much for me. Before I was lucky to eat 10 grams. I think I'll just cut back a little and see if the stool still stays soft but not as lumpy.
I'm not constipated, I go every day to every other day in the morning. Usually, though, if I miss a day, it's not as soft and hurts more. As a matter of fact, I went this morning and there was the sting and a little blood. But, it didn't feel like everything was out. I just think I worked myself up and needed to relax. So, coming home I decided to really try to relax. Got home, put the groceries away, and got the feeling to go which is unusual in the middle of the day for me. It was soft except for that very first part. So, of course, a little stinging and a little bleeding. A friend said she's had that for many years, every couple of months. She suggested Vaseline, so I tried that just now and it seemed to help with the stinging. I'm just hoping relaxing about it all is going to help alot.
Thanks for the info about the cream. I will definitely have him check me at my next appt. and tell him about that if need be. And I will take your advice about experimenting. I almost wish I could go back to the diarrhea stage. At least, there was no bleeding, just burning. I guess I need to find a middle ground and like you said it's hard to do!
Thanks for your help!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 06 Dec 2007, 13:19

I'm not constipated, I go every day to every other day in the morning. Usually, though, if I miss a day, it's not as soft and hurts more. As a matter of fact, I went this morning and there was the sting and a little blood.
Somehow, you need to go everyday. Missing days and having your stools get harder (drying out) is a recipe for disaster.
Drink a little prune juice, or something, find some way to be regular every day. It is SO important that you do. It is VERY crucial. But don't strain and force it.
I know it sounds like I may be asking for the impossible...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2007, 13:50

Yep, I'm sure you're right about that. I'm very careful about not sitting and forcing it. I usually get a pretty good urge to go in the morning within an hour of getting up and I hurry to the bathroom before it goes away so I don't need to push or strain. But, there's a couple days a week when there's no urge and I just know the next day is going to be a PAIN! I have been drinking a little prune juice the past few days to see if that will help. And I've gone a couple days in a row now. So, I'm hoping that's what is helping.
I read somewhere that prune juice has a laxative in it and that you can become dependent on it. Do you know if that's true? I had never thought of it that way before. Just thought of it as a natural thing.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 06 Dec 2007, 13:55

OTC laxative dependency is much overblown. But Prunes? They have a very mild, very natural laxative, if you can even call it that. No, I would never worry about laxative dependency from prunes.
If you are like i used to be, you have this narrow window of time, (your usual time) or you can't go at all. I totally understand that!
I read somewhere that drinking hot water will stimulate your bowels to go (it may be why some people have to go after their morning coffee!)
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2007, 14:22

I have the same issue. I can only go in the morning. If I miss my time I usually have to wait until the next day. I never miss a day but I do have times when not much comes out and I spend the day feeling uncomfortable.

I think I will try the hot water trick. Thanks, Kim. You know so much!!!!

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2007, 14:24

Oh, that's an idea! I don't drink coffee, but maybe a cup of tea would help. Yeah, I thought that was weird about the prune juice. Didn't sound right to me. Sometimes, when you're searching on the net, you run across some really weird ideas!