Realistically how long should LIS pain last?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Realistically how long should LIS pain last?

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Jun 2010, 20:32

Oh NP - I am so sorry buddy to hear that - but you know it is NOT so bad . My nephew had to have that op. and my aunt's husband (uncle ??? :roll: ) . You will be sore for a day or two - lots of ice there and than it calms down VERY quickly !!!
Do not even fret about it - hey, bud - imagine that you have to have that at 13 without ANY anesthesia as it is done in some cultures Image - and no anesthetics and no ice or painkillers Image !!! Trust me - nothing compares to butt pain and butt surgery - so you can really relax Image !!!!
Best of luck with the circumcision dude LOL - just imagine that you are having some cool piercing or something done Image!!!! All will be fine - you will see - that is soooo common and really nothing to worry about :luckyeyes: It is just AGAIN one of the conditions people do not talk about, so it seems rare - IT IS NOT !!!!
Let us know when it will be done so we can send collective healing vibes Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

sorry ng :(

Postby dee » 03 Jun 2010, 00:53

wish you were doing better and bummer about the circumcision! i hope it heals quickly and accomplishes what it's supposed to! wishing you the best from your old haunts!
d
dee
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby mrfissure » 07 Jun 2010, 00:44

Hey NG,
Just wondering how you're doing. Last I remember, you were still having issues with pain and leakage or something like that...is it getting any better? Thanks for all the information you've shared on this forum. As someone who's considering surgery right now, I've been following your story closely. I'm very curious to hear what your experience of LIS is like now as more time is going by. Also best of luck with the more recent problem!
mrfissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 07 Jun 2010, 10:47

Hey there,
I actually purposely haven't posted any updates lately because I think it would be a disservice to those considering LIS. I think the main thing I can say is that nearly everyone has excellent results from LIS, so if you're on the fence about it, you should probably disregard my experience entirely and follow through.
Personally, yeah, I'm still having problems. I still have pain and some discharge. Saw the CRS last week and was told that I'm completely off the recovery curve at this point. The incision is still open and there's still some mild yellow discharge coming from it. Less discharge than before but still there. There's no abscess at this point but it's possible that it'll get infected again and I'll have to have another minor operation a few weeks from now. I'm back at work but it's definitely difficult without painkillers and sitz baths.
Anyhow there's still an outside chance that I'm just a slow healer. But personally I think there's probably going to be another abscess or a fistula that develops. At this point I'd personally just be happy to get back to my pre-surgery baseline.
I hate being a wet rag but wanted to be honest. Again I think I'm on a highly unusual trajectory. I read a whole bunch of other people's LIS stories in the old threads on this as well as another forum before I went in for surgery and only found one other case that was similar to mine. In that one, a lady had fissurectomy (not LIS), got an abscess, which then turned into a fistula that required surgery a few months later. That was it. Every other story I read was extremely positive. Some people were feeling great in a week, most took several weeks, but just about everyone was feeling pretty good by one month out.
If I were you I would do a search for old LIS threads in the archives, and also have a look at Dee's recent experience with LIS. That is far more typical than mine and probably more reprensative of what you'll go through. Don't let my whiny horror story scare you off :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 07 Jun 2010, 11:12

NG,
I hope you get feeling better soon!! Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 07 Jun 2010, 14:46

Thanks Cheryl, I appreciate it. To be fair I knew it was a roll of the dice going in. And as one of my favorite songs says about dice: "if you can't stand pain better hold 'em, 'cause there's no telling what you might roll." Can't complain too much since so many people are going through so much worse at this very moment. I definitely wouldn't mind catching a break here and there soon though :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 07 Jun 2010, 14:59

NP buddy Image Image Image - I am so very VERY sorry to hear about your wound not closing Image !!!! It is probably due to that stupid infection Image *sigh.
I wish I could tell you anything smart, at this point : (((, but you know yourself that as long as there are bacteria there producing toxins and causing inflammation, it is so very hard for a would to close : ((((. You really have to take that infection under control Image , and I beg you to go and seek second, third and fourth opinion - trust me Image - we just HAVE to take matters in our own hands when we do not find help at one place and seek another Image I would have NEVER healed if I did not do that for my butt and two other conditions !!!!! SEEK AND YOU WILL FIND !!!!!
It is not any mystery of what is going on Image - and why they do not take any action is really flabbergasting to me :( !!!!
Do they have ANY plan for you ?????? What is their next step , for gods sake Image ?????????
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 07 Jun 2010, 15:22

Hey Fissy, right now I guess it's just waiting and seeing. The discharge is less than before, but it's still there, especially after a BM. There's one spot right at the incision site that's really tender when palpated (for instance during a BM or an anuscopy or if I sit a certain way). But it doesn't feel or look swollen like it did when I had the abscess. And the skin around the anus looks okay. I've got another appointment in 2.5 weeks to see if things look any better or worse. If it looks worse it'll probably be surgery time again.
I guess I could seek a second or third opinion but frankly I don't feel like it's worth it at this point. I won't get into the details but I've had iffy experiences at pretty much every CRS office I've been to. I don't have much faith in any of them. Right now I can manage most of the time, I don't know if that's because the pain is slowly decreasing or because I'm gotting used to it. Every once in a while if I'm having a bad day I just take half a vicodin.
I'd give antibiotics a try but the other ummm "condition" I have has been diagnosed as a male fungal/yeast infection. Didn't know men could get those but apparently it's possible. So right now I'm taking antifungal drugs but no antibiotics because they'll make the yeast infection worse.
I thought I was finally going to be able to put everything behind me this year, but I don't really care anymore to be honest. I'm waving the white flag now. If it's not in the cards then it's not in the cards, you know? If I didn't try to fix my sinusitis with antibiotics, I wouldn't have gotten a fissure, and if I'd never tried to fix the fissure with LIS, I wouldn't be where I am now. I've been blessed by so many things in life that I was due to have a bad run at some point. I just wish it had been spread out a little more :)
Anyway I won't say too much more here. I'd hate to be someone who's deciding on LIS and reading a thread like this one. Before I went in for surgery I read a ton of good LIS experiences so I'm positive it really is a life-changing (in a positive way) surgery for nearly all people.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 07 Jun 2010, 16:02

NG,
Personally, I think it is good that you shared your LIS experience here and continue to do so.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby dee » 07 Jun 2010, 16:45

hey ng...i wish i could have shared my luck with you...
re the antibiotics...isn't yogurt supposed to help keep away yeast infections? i know it's dairy, but maybe the soy kind also has the live cultures?
i've been watching a show on starz called gravity...their production company is "five minutes before the miracle" as in don't give up five minutes before the miracle happens...i love the show for other reasons, but i like the phrase...i also like winston churchhill's quote: "when you're going through hell, keep going."
dee
Salt Bather

Topics: 10