Reassurance??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Reassurance??

Postby val » 14 Feb 2008, 01:53

Lecia, you poor dear, you must feel the whole world is against you! I'm so very sorry you're having to go through all this pain, and now having to worry about a lump as well.
Most breast lumps are benign, and nothing to worry about but it's always best to get it checked out sooner rather than later, just in case.
I wish you better,
xx
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 14 Feb 2008, 05:00

Hi Lecia
As Val said, most lumps are benign, but please get it checked out soon.
Chin up, sister.

Postby Guest » 14 Feb 2008, 09:02

I never really had trouble with constipation in the past. I was always very regular, actually going more than once a day. About a year ago I lost a great deal of weight, drank a lot of alcohol and coffee and didn't eat right b/c I was going thru some pretty heavy stuff and bam! One day had a super hard BM, pushed real hard, (never knew it was bad to strain)and the toiled was filled with blood, I was on the floor in pain and I almost called 911. Needless to say now I watch everything I put in my mouth. I'm still getting a regiment down but as of now this is it:
1. 1 250mg colace + 1 fish oil/flax seed pill in the AM
2. 1 250mg colace + another fish oil pill in the PM
3. MOM at some pt in the night although I work nights so sometimes it's a 5am, just as long as I take it sometime, and I take a big ole swig!
sometimes I take a Mg pill and I always add fiber powder to things that can handle it, i.e. tea, mashed potatoes, anything soft or liquidy, I also drink a lot of water and eat lots of veggies, fruit, and lil meat and dairy
This has helped to keep my BM semi formed/semi soft so that they don't kill coming out and I am sorta pain free
Hope this helps

Postby Guest » 14 Feb 2008, 09:06

Lecia, just looked up your question in my drug book and it says that Ibuprofen can cause nephrotoxicity which means really bad things to your kidneys. Being that you only have one I'd assume that this isn't the right pain med for you to be taking. My book says that you should report any changes in urinary patters, increased weight, edema which is swelling, etc b/c these are signs of the nephrotoxicity. Call your Dr please!

Postby Guest » 14 Feb 2008, 10:53

Thanks for the advice! I will see the CRS tomorrow and ask her about the advil. I googled it and it said that water retention is a common side effect. But I certainly don't want to damage my kidney. I guess I can take tylenol and damage my liver! Geez. I feel like I am sh*t out of luck. I wonder what else I can take?

I'll go see the PCP soon about the lump. I am sure you are right-it's probably nothing.

Sorry to take over ML's thread here. I hope you can find something that works for you soon. Sometimes just coating the fissure with A&D ointment can help protect it. I would also try to take 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil in the am and 1 in the pm. That really seems to help it slide out for me. If you can find a fish oil that doesn't taste funky then that is even better.

Good luck with everything!

Postby buttgirl » 14 Feb 2008, 10:55

i wonder if it might be best to drink a ton of water to flush out your kidneys. that's what the drs told me to do to flush the barine salts out after that awful concoction.
I wonder if there is another anti-inflammatory that you can take. I seem to remember white willow bark tea being a presursor to asprin without the side effects on the tummy--it has the salacylic acid of asprin, but something in the plant moderates the effect od the acid on the intestines. I'm not sure how it reacts on the kidneys though--it may be the same as asprin/ibuprofen. I also hear white oak bark is a good antiinflammatory.
also, are you taking caffine? that is supposed to interact badly with ibuprofen and asprin and possibly hurt the kidneys.
I just found this online: "Analgesic use has been associated with two different forms of kidney damage. Some patient case reports have attributed incidents of sudden-onset acute kidney failure to the use of over-the-counter painkillers, including aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen. The patients in these reports had risk factors such as systemic lupus erythematosus, advanced age, chronic kidney disease, or recent heavy alcohol consumption. These cases involved a single dose in some instances and generally short-term analgesic use of not more than 10 days. Acute kidney failure requires emergency dialysis to clean the blood. Kidney damage is frequently reversible, with normal kidney function returning after the emergency is over and the analgesic use is stopped.
A second form of kidney damage, called analgesic nephropathy, can result from taking painkillers every day for several years. Analgesic nephropathy is a chronic kidney disease that over years gradually leads to irreversible kidney failure and the permanent need for dialysis or a kidney transplant to restore renal function.
Longstanding daily use of painkillers composed of two or more analgesics (particularly aspirin and acetaminophen together) with caffeine or codeine are most likely to damage the kidneys. These mixtures are often sold as powders or tablets. Recent studies have suggested that longstanding daily use of single analgesics such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen may also increase the risk of chronic kidney damage, but this evidence is not as clear."
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 14 Feb 2008, 11:03

Thanks for the info. I am drinking my usual 2 liters of water. I don't drink caffeine or take aspirin. I just need to heal so I don't need to take this stuff. I'll look into the white willow bark.

Maybe I should start drinking? But I bet that messes with your digestive tract!

Postby val » 14 Feb 2008, 11:07

Devil's claw is a good anti-inflammatory and painkiller
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby buttgirl » 14 Feb 2008, 12:20

It certainly does mess with the digestive tract. A friend of mine drank as a way to control her pain and ended up with UC and having to get her colon removed.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 14 Feb 2008, 12:29

Note to self: don't drink.