Reassurance??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Reassurance??

Postby motherluch » 12 Feb 2008, 07:27

Okay, it has been 3 months since my last incident of bleeding which literally freaks me out. You would think me being a nurse would help to calm my nerves when it comes to the sight of blood, but I cannot help but practically have an anxiety attack when I see blood in the toilet or on the stool. I have this ridiculous fear that I will not stop bleeding, but it always does stop...right??!
Anyway, I am not sure if this is another tear or a hemmie...hopefully I can be seen today. Now I am petrified to go to the bathroom again, I know I sound ridiculous, but if any of you can give me with any words of wisdom that would be great!!
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Re: Reassurance??

Postby Deleted User 5 » 12 Feb 2008, 07:47

I had bleeding four-to-six months after my LIS and was completely pain-free. It was very disappointing to see the blood on the TP, but I also knew that a fissure can take up to a year or longer to really, really heal. So three months out, in your case, seems reasonable, too. As long as it doesn't start recurring everyday and the pain returns, then you should be just fine.
Deleted User 5

Postby motherluch » 12 Feb 2008, 08:09

Thanks Kim, I guess I just need to hear from everyone else about itheir experiences with bleeding and how much blood they actually see. I mean, I suppose when you bleed it is common to see it streaking the stool and some drops of blood in the toilet , does that seem like a lot or no??
I have not had any surgery, only some banding in the past for my internal hemmies and 3 infrared coagulation treatments on my fissure which was internal (pain free). That stopped the bleeding, but it seems ironic that this all started in August and then I had the infrared which worked for 3 months when I had some difficult bms and had to push which resulted in bleeding again from another tear inside, then again it has been 3 months and since I had that stomach bug a few weeks ago i have been having a difficult time going again, had to push and bled again today. It is just discouraging and unfortunatley i freak out over the bleeding, i need to calm down, that's when I come here and you guys are the greatest and help so much!
I made an appt. with a new CRS for tomorrow. Hopefully he will help.
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 12 Feb 2008, 09:18

Does the bleeding come with a lot of pain? I try not to gage the progress of the healing on whether or not I bleed b/c a. sometimes I bleed but have little pain b. somtimes I bleed and have lots of pain. I don't believe that bleeding is especially connected to your progress unless it's a lot of blood filling up the toilet and then you and I both know that something else is probably going on down there since fissures don't cause that much bleeding. Good thing you made an appt with your CRS though, it's always good to let them know of any new developments.
PS. I'm a nurse too:)

Postby Guest » 12 Feb 2008, 09:39

Bleeding is tough to see after you have been blood free for awhile because you know that something had to change from one day to the next. But you know already how highly vascularized the area is and it really doesn't take much for it to bleed so it doesn't have to mean that there is something serious going on. Just tell yourself not to worry. Give yourself a break today because you have done all you can do since you are going to see a CRS tomorrow.

I had the same thing happen yesterday. I had gone 10 days without bleeding and then it started up again. I feel worse now than I did 10 days ago. Very frustrating, I know. But I am sure you will be fine. It seems pretty normal for you to have some occasional bleeding based on your past experience.

Postby val » 12 Feb 2008, 09:51

I freaked out about blood to the point I nearly fainted in fright-literally, not joking. I am blood-phobic and I really really hated it, but its just something that you eventually get used to. I think if it stops, and then starts up again, thats when its scary because you assume that theres a reason its started, but probably there isnt, its just reminding you its still there!
I had a little bleeding yesterday, and today, and I thought everything was totally fine, so it was a bit of a shock, and its been painful all day, which it hadn't been, so I think its just one of those things-tomorrow is a new day!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby motherluch » 12 Feb 2008, 17:30

Thanks everyone. My husband actually drove me to Philadelphia to see the Dr. that has done the infrared on me in the past. He examined me and said it was not a fissure that caused the bleeding this time, but an internal hemmie. He said everything had improved drastically compared to how I was a few months ago, that my fissure had responded and healed from the last infrared treatment he did on it. He also said my internal hemmies looked much better than they had in the past, that this was a grade 2 hemmie (Lecia, you know all of this stuff personally) and there is really only 1 more that needs treatment in possibly 2 weeks.He also said that this was probably caused by the pushing I had to do the past week or so, since I had that stomach bug that screwed up my system. I have to say, I feel somewhat better, but like you Val, I am a blood-phobic TOTALLY.
I am very nervous to go tomorrow, and will hope and pray I do not bleed. I may not even go tomorrow since I ate virtually nothing today (was a bundle of nerves), and I went a lot this a.m.
When it does come to bleeding, when you all say that you bleed, can you tell me how much bleeding you are talking about?? For me this morning there were the drops of blood in the toilet and it was covering the stool and it was on the toilet paper. Not to be too gross, but I could see the blood had kind of splattered on the inside of the toilet bowl as well. If you could all tell me how much blood you see, maybe that would help!
Thanks everyone.
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby val » 13 Feb 2008, 02:11

When I very first got mine, back in june, I was bleeding a lot-it was all splattered in the toilet bowl, and the whole toilet was bright red, and there was loads on the TP. That carried on for weeks and I did eventually get used to it, but it makes me shudder to think of it. Maybe when blood is in water it looks worse though!
val
King Fissure

Postby motherluch » 13 Feb 2008, 06:48

Val, what made it stop?? Did you bleed only with difficult bms or even if they were soft and easy?? I am thinking of better ways to keep things extra soft and easy, probably going to try the MOM again, maybe starting with a teaspoon.
Lecia, I am so sorry to hear you are having a hard time with your healing. You are truly an inspiration because you seem to remain calm even during the storm!! Wish I was more like you instead of being so scared and emotional over this darn thing.
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby val » 13 Feb 2008, 08:59

After every BM I put an ice cube in a little thin sandwich bag, wrapped it in TP and put that on the fissure and left it there until the pain went, then got into a hot bath straight after. The amount of blood slowly got less and less but it took months before it stopped. Like you, because I'm scared of blood, I always imagined it wasn't going to stop and I'd bleed all over the place, but I think that's just fear playing with your mind. I dont remember any connection between hard or soft BMs and bleeding, mine just bled loads whether soft or hard.
I know what you're going through, but try to calm down-I always found I would bleed much more on days that I was stressed. Unless you are losing massive amounts of blood, that goes on and on without stopping-in which case you would know that something was very wrong, then its probably perfectly "normal", as far as normal goes with fissures!
And, I'm sorry too, Lecia that you are still suffering a lot, I hope and pray that things settle down for you soon.
val
King Fissure