Recent fistulotomy

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Recent fistulotomy

Postby Questions » 18 Sep 2013, 16:30

I had a fistulotomy on September 11. I have had a J Pouch for 2 months. The fistula was a perianal one, transsphincteric and did not involve the J pouch. Because it was superficial my doctoc laid it open to heal by secondary intent. On the second day post surgery, I began to have stool and air pass through the fistulotomy site. This is very painful because I don't have a colon and there is much bile acid passing. My healing instructions are to take sitz baths following bms. I average 4 - 5 per day. Is it normal to have stool passing through a fistulotomy? Will it be able to heal with this happening? Can anyone give me advice?
Questions

Topics: 1

Re: Recent fistulotomy

Postby Ever the Optimist » 19 Sep 2013, 15:19

Hi Questions,
I'd love to be able to give you some words of reassurance but I can't advise because I'm really not sure how a J Pouch would affect a fistulotomy to be honest. I don't have this experience and although I did pass a bit of pus after my op, it was just the draining from the site that was clearing out and it did stop after a few days. I really hope that someone will pop by with a little more knowledge on this than myself. I do however, wish you all the very best in your healing process and would say it would also be a good idea to call your CRS just to check too....
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Re: Recent fistulotomy

Postby Questions » 19 Sep 2013, 17:47

Thanks for your input. I did ask my CRS about this and was told it can happen. It doesn't seem right. Maybe it just requires more time. I hope others might share their experience.
Questions

Topics: 1