SAD done on Friday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

SAD done on Friday

Postby marinboy » 20 May 2012, 12:34

Hello,
Some of you may remember me from three months ago in agony and pain (like the rest of us). Well after reading Wecc's story about Sad, I decided to take the plunge. I flew from SF to Long Island (brutal flight) and got the procedure done Friday morning. Everything went well and I was back at the hotel a few hours later. For the past few days I have been sore but nothing too bad. I have been experiencing spasms though, they are not painful but just frequent. This morning I had my first bm (Sunday) and no problem and no pain, although like I said lots of painless spasms. I am hoping the spasms will go away with time. I was curious to know if anyone else who has done the sad procedure experienced these types of painless spasms themselves. Any info would be great. Also any questions regarding this procedure I would be happy to answer.
Marin boy
marinboy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: SAD done on Friday

Postby mm92599 » 20 May 2012, 13:28

Just curious is you know how much this procedure cost? And, I assume this was all done in one trip so that you were able to have the evaluation and SAD on the same day or the next day? How long are you staying on the east coast? Just curious.
mm92599
Salt Bather

Topics: 25

Postby marinboy » 20 May 2012, 13:56

This procedure was not cheap. I flew in on wed, had hospital tests on Thur... and like I said procedure on Fri. I leave back to SF on Monday (they recomend a couple of days rest before flying again). I had to pay for my girlfriends plane ticket as well. Plane tickets, rental car, food, hotel, hospital bill, doctor procedure, anesthesia... around $10,000. My insurance did not cover it. I would think it could be done cheaper... I did everything on short notice hoping to get out of pain asap. God I hope its worth it. You can't put a price on health I figure.
marinboy
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 20 May 2012, 14:11

marinboy.
Can't help with the question about spasms. Not sure what a painless spasm would feel like?
Thank you for coming back to report on your experience and the cost of your trip. I hope you'll keep us posted as you feel up to it and that you feel comfortable enough to be able to travel home tomorrow.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby jr2 » 20 May 2012, 14:14

It occurred to me maybe you could either send a private message to Wecc, or maybe post the question to him over on his surgical thread in case he is still getting updates?
jr2

Postby marinboy » 20 May 2012, 14:43

Jr,
Yes I thought of sending him a pm message, thanks. To explain my painless spasms I would have to explain that once I started to take citrucel for whatever reason I started to have bms every other day (not sure why). My bm days I would have painful spasms or muscle twitches for seven hours plus. On my non bm days I would still get spasms but since I think the wound was closed it would not hurt. I think that is what I am experiencing now. I plan on calling my Crs tommorow to see what he says. Anyway, I know wecc said he was playing football the next day, not me (lol). Sore but doing much better compared to Friday. Yes I will keep posting my recovery. Thank you to all.
marinboy
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 20 May 2012, 15:41

oh, okay, I see what you mean. A phone call to your doctor would be a good idea since you aren't local to him, just in case. It's still been such a short time ago that you had your procedure though, so it might just be something that is expected so soon after that will dissipate over time. I really wish more doctors were offering more choices like SAD so people who would like to have some choices don't have to do something like fly across a whole country for something that would not take that much training for a surgeon to learn how to do.
I'm glad you are feeling better today than Friday. I think your experience with soreness is probably more typical than those who go out dancing the day after. There is another member here who is recovering from standardized balloon dilation if you want to look him up and read his postings. His name here is BGAN. I think his recovery was a bit more complicated by having had a skin tag removed, but he also said recovery from his procedure took some time and it was hard to know whether what he was experiencing was to be expected or not.
jr2

Postby marinboy » 20 May 2012, 16:20

Jr,
Thanks for the info. I had a skin tag removed as well. I did read bgan post as well, very good post and I should read again. You have been very helpful... any more info you or anyone wants, feel free to ask.
Marin boy
marinboy
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 20 May 2012, 17:16

Marinboy!
Thank you, that is so kind of you. I'll look forward to any updates you're willing and able to provide as you continue to heal. We have so few members here who have had dilation so it makes it all the more appreciated when we can keep posted on experiences such as yours. I really admire the courage and determination it has taken for you to travel so far to have such a sensitive procedure performed. Traveling with fissures is especially daunting, traveling with fissures and then back home across the country again while you are still recovering from surgery is pretty incredibly brave in my opinion. I can imagine your own bed will look like a welcome sight.
If there's any other way I can help to support you, or if you just need to rant, feel totally free to shout out!
jr2

Postby 44alegna44 » 21 May 2012, 15:48

Hi Marinboy
Congratulations on your procedure Image I hope your recovery remains on a steady course towards success Image
This is truly a subject that gets bounced around here quite often....that just not enough docs, hardly any, offer this procedure as an option to treat fissure sufferers Image So, we are very grateful that you joined in again to share your experience with us Image
I am very interested in following your updates...I could possibly be facing medical intervention for the second time (had lis in february, but have had a fissure reocurrence since) and I am a short car ride away to long island. I did contact wecc, and heard from him last week. He's not on the forum anymore, but I was able to speak with him through e-mail. He has had no regrets, or set-backs, and remains happy with his decision to go the SAD route. That is definitely encouraging news and my hopes and prayers will remain with you for the same outcome Image
Please do, if and as you can, keep us abreast of your recovery journey and progress....it means so much to us, as this is such a rare occurrence around here Image
Best Wishes,
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9