Should I cancel?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Should I cancel?

Postby Guest » 11 Aug 2007, 14:56

I have never had much pain, only when I have a BM, and then it's not unbearable. I deal with muscle spasms in my back almost daily from arthritis, so maybe I just don't notice the spasms in my bottom! When the CRS examined me, he told me to take deep breaths a couple of times to release the spasm. So, I guess I have them but don't notice.
I have read a few posts where people don't actually heal after having the surgery. The CRS basically told me I needed the surgery (LIS) and didn't have a choice. He has not tried anything else to see if the fissure will heal. He said it is chronic with scar tissue.
I keep reading the risk with LIS, and it scares the crap out of me when I read "cutting this muscle rarely interferes with the ability to control BMs."
I am sorry, but I am freaking out here. I don't want to go under general anesthesia either.
Please help me make my decision. I am scheduled for this Friday,
August 17.
Please send up prayers.
Thanks,
Jennie

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby erik » 11 Aug 2007, 15:10

Surgery was alot easier than i thought. i didn't even need pain meds and I had an LIS done. I rested for about 2 days and it did really help with the pain. I had no issues with loss of anything...just a fissure that was slow to heal but getting better. just make sure your dr is good, has done many before you and go for it. you will be surprised how much better you feel!
erik
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby Guest » 11 Aug 2007, 15:11

Jennie,
If you can deal with the pain and are having second thoughts then I suggest you get a second opinion. Do some research and find another good CRS in your area. I think it will help put your mind at ease.

Postby Guest » 11 Aug 2007, 17:25

I am just not at peace yet with the procedure. I have decided to call the CRS and ask if there are any other options since he did not mention any at all.
How can I make sure the CRS has done many procedures and has a good reputation? I googled his name but came up with very little.
Thanks,
Jennie

Postby Deleted User 5 » 11 Aug 2007, 20:03

There is no reason why you can't wait, if you want. Especially if it puts your mind at ease. But don't fear the surgery more than any other -- I've had it and while my recovery was a bit rough, I am *so* d@mned glad I did it, but my pain was obviously much worse than yours seems to be.
It was the general anesthesia I feared the most. Not the very slight risk of incontinence. I had been under GA before, with little problem, so I finally caved and had the surgery. If you've ever had GA before and tolerated it well, there should be little risk.
But since this condition is not life-threatening, you only need put yourself under the knife when you feel that nothing else is working. Get a second opinion.
Deleted User 5

Postby happyass » 12 Aug 2007, 19:07

just a stupid question.........
how different is having GA compared to that when you get your colonoscopy?
they never mentioned to me when at first we were to do the LIS/fistulotomy/colonoscopy that we were to do GA but just twilight sedation and then numbing down there when it came to do the LIS/fistulotomy.
i still can't grasp what the difference is between GA and the twilight. i was knocked out for the colonoscopy but i also know they used that mind-erasing drug so that they could wake you up and put you out in between.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 12 Aug 2007, 21:01

I don't think you need to rush into having surgery because of one doctor's recommendation and if you aren't certain that is where your best interests lie. You can always get a second opionion and see if somone would prescribe diltiazem or nefidepine to help relax the muscle to bring more blood to the area to help heal.
At the very least you should be taking 3 sitz baths a day which can help relax the sphincter too. I used epsom salts in mine and it seemed to help as well. There might be a way that you can try botox and see if that would buy you some time for the fissure to heal. Make sure you are doing evenrthing on your end that you can ie. high fiber, water consumption, efa supplementation, stoof softeners if you need them to prevent any further trauma to that area.
I wouldn't rule out surgery though. It has been helpful to many of the boardies here and was what really seemed to help them get their fissures under control and end the spasming.

Postby Guest » 12 Aug 2007, 21:08

I think in my experience the GA puts you under so that you don't move or interact at all during the procedure (which is what I had for the hernia operation). I have had twilight anestesia and I can move and interact though I am in a very relaxxed place. It feels verf safe.
But once the surgeon had me in the room and remember scootin over to the talble and next think I was waking up. I think the distance between the two in recall and not feeling really there cn make it complicated.
GA does take more time to get out of your system though and you could feel tried out for a long time after it. But having done both I would just ask my doctor for whatever is normal protocal for each procedures.