Softner

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Softner

Postby Sue1962 » 18 Oct 2011, 05:36

Everyone says it takes about 3 days for the Miralax to kick in. I am wondering can I take something with this?? Colace, Milk of Mag?? I am miserable, this morning after 3 colace last night and not much food during the past week. I had yet another semi hard BM. I would think my poop would be soft considering I am eating oatmeal, activia, applesauce and a small dinner and apple juice.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Rosa M » 18 Oct 2011, 06:21

I have taken 1 or 2 tablet stool softeners (ducosate which i think is the same as Colace) along with Miralax when I thought I needed to but once the Miralax starts doing its thing, it does it well. Are you making sure to drink 8-10 glasses of water everyday? Very important. And how much dairy do you consume? Dairy can constipate. Hope things improve for you quickly!
Rosa M
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby hothead » 18 Oct 2011, 09:38

Are you getting enough fiber? Apple sauce doesn't have much, and apple juice doesn't have any.
hothead
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Sue1962 » 18 Oct 2011, 11:26

I drink 8-10 glasses of water everyday. No dairy except for the activia in the morning. Dry bran flakes, 2 packets of oatmeal, some triscuits and dinner usually chicken and some veggies with applesauce. Thats what I eat all day everyday. at bedtime 3 colace with 16oz of apple juice.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby hothead » 18 Oct 2011, 14:50

You need the Miralax!
For me it worked overnight.
hothead
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Sue1962 » 18 Oct 2011, 17:55

Okay!!! I am getting Miralax!!!Just scared b/c don't know if it is gonna be too much and working running to the bathroom all day especially in pain is not an option, however on the other hand, I am in pain and spasm all day from pushing to go. I will start with the 1 capful and see what happens. Thanks for the info.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby dwarfs8 » 18 Oct 2011, 21:01

Apple juice has pectin which softens too i think, so does pear.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Jojo1 » 26 Oct 2011, 09:47

I'm currently taking Miralax - one dose each morning and evening. I started out with generic colace and found that stools were smaller,hard and watery. After hearing so much about Miralax, I decided to transition to it and just finished. Today is my first day with only Miralax, so I'll see how it goes. I did notice yesterday that the stool was more formed which initially was frightening to me as I could feel a little stretching, but while there was still some stinging and pain after, it wasn't as bad as with the watery stools. And the continuing pain and discomfort for hours after was still there, but lessened. It was the most normal feeling elimination I've had since July. This morning wasn't so great because the second elimination had become soupy, which is more irritating to the area, but that's because I hadn't eaten enough yesterday due to a busy day. Well, you live and learn . . . unfortunately, pain is a relentless teacher.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Postby shakeit » 26 Oct 2011, 15:59

I've been using lactulose (I'm in the UK), its quite gentle and generally effective although I have had hard-ish BMs when on a lower dose say 15ml instead of 17.5 or 20ml.
shakeit
Salt Bather

Topics: 9