Softner

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Softner

Postby Trev » 19 Aug 2011, 08:43

Hi all
Looking for a stool softener to use, Dulcoease looks to be a good product according to reviews. Is this different to a laxitive? What do you lot recommend ?
Thanks all
Trev
Trev

Topics: 3

Re: Softner

Postby Bernie » 19 Aug 2011, 10:57

Movicol (the brand name I use is Laxido). I get it on prescription, but I don't know if it's available OTC. Lactulose is available otc, but I've had better results with movicol.
Don't know about dulcoease, tbh, as I'm still breastfeeding so I can't use it.
Bernie
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Guest » 19 Aug 2011, 14:10

Hi Trev,
My votes on the Movicol/ Miralax here in the US. It draws water into the bowels and isn't a harsh laxative.

Postby val » 19 Aug 2011, 14:37

Dulcoease is docusate sodium - colace in the US?? I tried it and thought it was rubbish. Movicol is better, you can get it on prescription (it's nearly a tenner for 30 sachets) but ask for lemon and lime flavour - the original flavour is DISGUSTING!!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 19 Aug 2011, 15:49

Yes Val- Colace is one of the name brands for Docusate Sodium in the US, I think Phillips has one too.

Postby val » 20 Aug 2011, 12:52

Did you think it was any good Dawn?
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 20 Aug 2011, 15:11

Hey Val,
It didn't work all that well for me. It really didn't seem to make a difference if I took 1 or 6, it still worked the same.
I take 1/2 of the US dose of Miralax and get much better results than I did doubling the recommended dose of the Colace.

Postby Geoff_M » 21 Aug 2011, 03:17

Hi Trev,
when I saw my GP and was diagnosed with an AF 3 weeks ago he recommended prune juice, Lactulose or Movicol as a stool softener. I started with prune juice and had half a glass a day (120 ml recommended) and this worked OK for me. I had to go on business to the US, so I took some Movicol Half sachets as I wasn't sure that I would able to get prune juice where I was going. I decided to take 2 sachets of the Movicol Half, one in the morning and one in the evening. To explain that my BMs are usually once per day in the morning but occasionally have been really hard which I am sure caused the tear in the first place. I have to say though I was a bit nervous about using the Movicol in case it went too far the other way, it worked beautifully for me. I've been using it a week now and for most BMs I hardly notice them coming out. My new regime will be the half glass of prune juice in the morning and a single sachet of the Movicol half in the evening.
Movicol Half is available from chemists without prescription in the UK, my box of 20 sachets cost just under Ј5-00. I guess that the full dose stuff may be about twice the price, but I don't know that.
One thing that I have found both with prune juice and Movicol is that they give me a lot of gas, I am farting all day! However I find this a price worth paying as opposed to the alternative!
All the best, Geoff
Geoff_M
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby of all the places to hurt » 21 Aug 2011, 07:13

Glad to hear movicol is helping you!! I have just replied to you on other post lol...
Well, Geoff try giving the prune juice a miss! With just the movicol you will be fine and have less gas??? If you have increased your fibre intake that alone causes more gas too. Good Luck!
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Geoff_M » 21 Aug 2011, 12:13

To be honest I think I'd rather give up the Movicol than the prune juice long term.
I'm still relatively new to this though, so it is a bit of trial and error at the moment...
Geoff_M
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2