Sphincter spasm

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Sphincter spasm

Postby Sue1962 » 18 Jan 2012, 17:36

My spasms where horrific!!! My b hole (sorry) would get so tight and drawn up I would have to go lay on my bed and massage the whole area to get it to stop even a little bit. I described mine to my CRS just like this " It gets so tight a pipe cleaner wouldn't fit in there" not that I would try, I was trying to get him to understand the diameter I was talking about. Spasms are the worst the pressure was unbearable. I was so thankful I walked all day at work, cause there is no way I could have sat down.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby reckless » 18 Jan 2012, 17:45

Did he agree with you or did he say it wasn't that tight?
Did your pain worsen whilst sitting?
reckless
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Sue1962 » 18 Jan 2012, 17:53

He did agree, when he examined me. Very tight!! My pain was 10x worse sitting!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby JayBee » 19 Jan 2012, 08:19

My spasms seem to be at their worst when standing still. If the spasm has already taken hold only lying down or sitting on a fairly firm surface loosens it. Walking is fine as long as I don't stop and stand still.
Agree though, the spasms are the worst pain I have ever had, by a country mile. Mine have eased a little since starting with the GTN although I still can't stand for extended periods.
I have decided to try Movicol today also as the Magnesium Hydroxide, Senna and Dulcoease aren't really doing the job and the last couple of days have been rough.
How do people get on with tuna by the way, any constipation for others?
JayBee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Grateful Ed » 22 Jan 2012, 23:52

I've been having pain/trouble from spasms too. Even if my BM is easy, I can still spasm from sitting down hours afterwards. I'm noticing it happens around the same time I get hungry for lunch so I'm wondering if low blood sugar is triggering it. I've found walking lessens the pain too. Taking a bath is good as is laying on an inclined board to reverse the gravity/pressure. When its really spasming/hurting tho, it's really tight.
Also I've never had any problems with tuna for constipation, seems fine by me.
Hang in there y'all!
Grateful Ed
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 23 Jan 2012, 09:41

The spasms are what get me. Even if I wake up feeling okay, have an easy BM - the spasms in the evening and at night just drive me crazy.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby Euronius » 24 Jan 2013, 14:40

I don't mind the spasm, unless I had a painful and bloody BM. If I did, it hurts like hell. Can't stand still or sit comfortably even for a minute. But I've found out that massaging the area helps a lot. So, if you're alone, try that. If I had a soft and quick BM, then I don't mind the spasm afterward. I guess I've gotten used to it.
Euronius
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 24 Jan 2013, 16:16

Euronius wrote:I don't mind the spasm, unless I had a painful and bloody BM. If I did, it hurts like hell. Can't stand still or sit comfortably even for a minute. But I've found out that massaging the area helps a lot. So, if you're alone, try that. If I had a soft and quick BM, then I don't mind the spasm afterward. I guess I've gotten used to it.

Hi, Euronius -
A whole year later, I'm pleased to report that the spasms are (mostly) a thing of the past. It's taken me a whole year to heal - with ups and downs along the way, the most recent "down" being a month or two ago. Two Crs's have told me I'm healed - but it's taken a while to FEEL healed.
Last weekend, I was able to ride my bike. I've waited a year to feel healed and confident enough to sit on that bike seat and peddle away. --- This is not to say that I won't have future discomfort - from whatever - but my fissure is gone, and the area operated on has toughened up (I think).
Most anyone in my particular position would say that there might be little tweaks of discomfort - and times of soreness, maybe from a BM gone wrong - but for the most part, the worst of the nightmare is over.
Hang in there. It can be a very trying journey, and there might be highs and lows . . . you just have to get the right treatment and give yourself plenty of time to heal.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby OwwDAMN-IT! » 24 Jan 2013, 22:28

Well reckless, a tip I can give is, instead of taking as many sitz baths, try using a heating pad on your bottom. It saves the water and the salt, unless sitz baths give you good relief.
Personally, sitz baths with added iodized Salt only calmed my spasms WHILE I was in the tub. As soon as I got out, they returned and I had to walk laps in my basement for an hour until the throbbing subsided.
I tried a bit of behavioral therapy from online: I. E. Relaxing my external sphincter, and focusing my breathing abdominally. I could then actually STOP the internal smooth muscle from spamming, therefore relieving the pain. I will make a YouTube video about it when I can sit long enough to record and edit. I hope you find relief.
Also, try Manuca Honey. Find it at your local health food store. It works WONDERS!
OwwDAMN-IT!
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Reni » 15 Feb 2013, 00:01

Is there anyone who got rid off the spasm without surgery. Now I'm almost pain free no blood at all. Pressure down there is killing me. I'm using nitro cream still no progress. I wonder if surgery is the only option...
Reni
Salt Bather

Topics: 1