Surgery Scheduled!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery Scheduled!!

Postby Guest » 30 Apr 2007, 16:31

:D I am supposed to be a wordsmith, but my puny attempt at expressing my overwhelming gratitude to GOD, my Wife and all the people on this forum for your help in seeing me through the last several weeks of the most excrciating pain I have ever experienced makes me wish I had developed a much better writing style over the years. Never-the-less here is the
Short story: Doctor scheduled me for LIS on Wed. morning at 9:30.
He stated my fissure is moderate to severe-he has seen them as bad as mine heal mediacally and he has seen them not heal. He said we could try nitro cream, botox or LIS. Incontinece is a possibility but usually in elderly with weak muscles.
Any pre surgery advice would be GREATLY appreciated .
He said to eat liquid tomorrow and take a fleet enema tomorrow night.
Having never had an enema I hope the directions are clear.
THANKS and GOD Bless All!! Image

Re: Surgery Scheduled!!

Postby Guest » 30 Apr 2007, 16:42

Yea!!! That is great news. You have an amazing doctor-one that calls you on a Sunday and schedules you the same week for surgery. That is nice to have it so soon so you don't have time to worry about it.
That must be a great relief to know that your suffering is going to end soon. I am happy to hear it!
BTW: just put it in and squeeze!
Lecia

Postby Guest » 30 Apr 2007, 18:39

Congrats on getting the surgery moved up. You will do great-- i'm 8 hours post surgery as I type this and glad i did it. I feel some discomfort but not bad pain, and nothing like how I felt when I was having bad fissure pain all day. You will be glad when it is Wednesday afternoon, then the surgery will be over. What helped me was thinking past the surgery---about how happy I would be once I was home from the hospital.
I'm happy to answer any questions since I just had it!
Suzy

Postby Deleted User 5 » 30 Apr 2007, 20:33

Incontinence is a possibility but usually in elderly with weak muscles. That is useful information for this board!
There is so much surgery going on here on the board lately, my head is spinning! Fissures being taken down, left and right!
Well, my pre-surgery advice is just relax. Your wife will be with you, right? Try not to use any more pain meds than you need, get right back on the fiber/fissure diet after you awake from surgery.
That's pretty much all I had to do, eat clear liquid and use the enema. I was supposed to use one the morning before, in addition, but they let me off with that.
Just lie on your stomach (towel on bed) and pull up one leg and then, insert the nozzle gently and slowly. There's no hurry! Then just squeeze that sucker and try to squeeze out as much as you can. Then hold it for, 10-20 minutes (I think, check the directions) then head for the throne! Having a fissure is the problem, as it will hurt more than a regular enema as you insert it. I know mine did!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 01 May 2007, 21:23

Good luck tomorrow! I will be sending good thoughts your way!
Suzy