Surrendering to the Knife

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surrendering to the Knife

Postby coconut » 24 Mar 2013, 16:19

Day 18
I'm getting a little better everyday. I'm down to one percocet a day and I'm beginning to think I might be OK without that. But I'm afraid of going without. I'll probably wait until next weekend to go completely narcotic free so that I can have the weekend to relax and go through the withdrawal with a little grace.
I see the wound everyday because I clean it with a q-tip. Its getting smaller every time. That fills me with such hope. I'm still a bit cranky and I tire easily. This has been a huge ordeal. I hope I can avoid surgery again for a very, very long time.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby jr2 » 25 Mar 2013, 16:40

I'm so so glad to hear things are making the turn for you. Time is such a strange thing. We can think back on years and feel like they went by in the blink of an eye, and we can look back on 18 days after such a painful surgery and feel like they were an eternity.
Anyway, I really hope it is all coasting down hill for you from here on out. : )
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby PIA » 03 Apr 2013, 00:59

Hi coconut, thinking of you a lot. hope you are healing. xx Pia
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby coconut » 03 Apr 2013, 06:25

Day 28
I can finally say that I have significantly less pain than before the surgery. My spasms are gone and it doesn't hurt to poop. I have some soreness. Also, I get the occasional itch or twinge. There is very little blood at this point, small enough that I'm not sure if I'm bleeding or not.
I'm continuing to heal, slowly but consistently making progress. I got off the percocet completely after day 21. Withdrawal was predictably sucky, but I managed OK. I had mild flu like symptoms - aches, stuffy head.
My outer wounds are nearly healed. The LIS wound is nearly completely invisible, scar and all. The skin tag wound is still healing, so I'm still doing the baths and the balneol q-tips to keep it clean.
I'm back in full swing at work and slowly getting back into exercise. A surprising aspect of healing has been that my hamstrings have completely tightened up. I can't touch my toes! I think they were affected by the spasms and the ways I was holding my body to try to calm them.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby coconut » 03 Apr 2013, 06:30

Unfortunately for me, I've decided that this forum is not a safe place for me. This issue is too personal and intimate to me to put up with the fact that it is a public forum.
Some of the stuff that was going on when I last logged in was distressing to me. I'm speaking specifically of this thing where healed people come back and criticize the actions of people who haven't healed yet. Its getting me angry just thinking of it!
I also had a situation where someone started calling me names, and that's not OK with me. I thought long and hard about erasing all of my posts. I just feel like it was a mistake to get involved in the first place. The internet is a hard place and this forum is no different. In the end, obviously, I decided not to erase my contributions. It is anonymous, and who knows, maybe someday someone will read what I wrote and benefit, which causes me no harm.
So good-bye, everyone. I thank you for all the support that I received. There are several of you that I felt quiet close to, and I do both miss you and wish you all the best in the world. If you want to contact me for any reason, I'll respond to PMs.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rachael 1984 » 03 Apr 2013, 10:14

Sad to see you go coconut! But glad you are on the road to recovery. Good luck with everything xx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Luka » 03 Apr 2013, 14:32

I can understand about the forum thing, coconut. There were a few new posters here recently that made me upset, too (I won't name names, but I think they might be gone as I haven't seen them posting in a while). Unfortunately, there are jerks that come up on all forums online, just like in real life.
I'm sorry to see you go. It sounds like you are making great progress after your surgery. I wish you luck with your healing and hope you feel 100% better soon. : )
Take it easy and best wishes for a full recovery.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Savaici » 03 Apr 2013, 20:03

Sorry that people were hurt in the recent weeks. Two people were banned, and their posts mostly all removed. Sometimes on the internet there are some very unpleasant people, but strangely, this forum has mostly been free of nastiness.
Your contribution has been very appreciated, coconut, and I am sure that all the advice you've given will be appreciated by many that come here looking for help and compassion.
Hope that the rest of your recovery is uneventful, and good luck!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby owmybum » 04 Apr 2013, 02:26

So sorry the nasty comments made to you have upset you so much. I can totally understand how it has made you want to withdraw from using the forum.
I will really miss your input to the board.... And I'm so glad to see that you are doing so well!!
OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !