Telling your employer

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Telling your employer

Postby bottomline » 23 Jul 2010, 08:40

I have had an AF for 2 months now. It was ok in the first month and I did not really take as much care as I should have. Last one month has been a living hell. I am wondering if I should tell my employer about it. Coping with AF and work has been a nightmare. Hoping if I tell my boss, he could be a little more empathetic. I work in a fast paced, long hours, stressful kind of a job.
Please share your experiences. I really dont want to give up my work because of the AF.
bottomline
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Telling your employer

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 23 Jul 2010, 11:53

I would definitely tell your boss, especially if you work in a fast paced, stressful environment. I told my boss, and really all of my coworkers, a long time ago. At first I was embarrassed, but modesty went out in the window pretty quickly in the face of intense pain. I thought it would be best for all of us if they knew what I was going through. I had a couple coworkers who thought it would be a good time to make clever ass jokes but they stopped pretty quickly once I told them that it's great they think my terrible pain is funny.
BTW I'm a sales engineer so I have to be visit customers, give presentations, etc., etc. all day. Telling my boss about my problem was definitely a plus and helped explain why I'd sometimes have to take extended trips to the bathroom with my backpack :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby StevePain » 23 Jul 2010, 13:54

I second what NG says, it's only embarrassing at first, you may become the butt of jokes (no pun intended) but you'll get over it and so will they, there might come a time when you have to give up anyway, hell, these fissures can take over your whole life, it's so easy to get consumed with the pain and fear, it's a vicious cycle, and NG, I know what you mean about the extended trips and backpack Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby dee » 25 Jul 2010, 13:01

i was rehired to an old job a little less than 3 months before my surgery...and yes, i told my employer--of course i work in an emergency room so i work with nurses and doctors...but i also told my supervisors and them knowing how much pain i was in helped me be able to get a whole week off (i had just returned to this position) for recovery...
i would not hesitate to tell my employer...i never gave specifics at my previous job (i was a high school teacher), but they knew something was going on...
especially if you're taking extended bathroom breaks with a backpack in hand i think it would be best to tell your employer! better than letting their mind wander Image
dee
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby afugh!! » 25 Jul 2010, 16:50

Ya it's better if you told your co-worker or boss about your problem even if it is embarassing.If I didn't tell my partner at work I had a fissure I would've spent much of my work time on the hub floor where it was 100+ degrees last summer when my fissure was at its worst.My partner was understanding and we switched places and i spent most of the time in the office til summer ended.If I didn't tell him my problem I would've been in agony from all the sweat on my fissure and last summers heatwave was brutal.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19