The Guide to Travelling with a Fissure

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

The Guide to Travelling with a Fissure

Postby SunshineHope » 31 May 2007, 15:18

We should make a guide like this! :geek: I'm sure we could put all of our experiences together and we'd be totally ready for travelling in the summer!
What do you guys/gals think?
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: The Guide to Travelling with a Fissure

Postby Guest » 31 May 2007, 15:26

Yes definitely. I get so nervous traveling so I know just having a guide would help me and ease the fear that I am going to have a major setback!
What should the title be?
You and Your Fissure: How to Travel without ripping yourself a new one?

Postby SunshineHope » 31 May 2007, 21:34

lol sounds like a good name! After that trip to Alberta and the 24 hours on a bus in one weekend trip (while my fissure was in its initial, most painful stage) - I feel like it'd help to write down some of the things I learned, and maybe others can share their tips too :)
before i start, lecia is that a karate uniform or something? what a dramatic pic! I like it!
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 31 May 2007, 21:58

It's my Princess Leia outfit -a Jedi in training to bring freedom from painful anal fissures to the populace. Can't tell that I like Star Wars, much, huh?
Kim, you need to post your picture with R2D2.
If anyone want to participte maybe each person can post tips and tricks that have learned while traveling and when can compile it and post it under resources.

Postby SunshineHope » 01 Jun 2007, 14:03

Haha you guys are so funny.. Okay here are some tips I have to start it off: (It may have spelling errors or have too much info, so if we actually want to post this somewhere, someone will have to edit it :o )
1) Make sure you bring a cushion and it's best to have a cushion that was created for problems like AF's. An example of this is the Donut Cushion - which basically has a hole in the centre. Using this cushion can reduce the pressure on your fissure so when you're sitting, it doesn't really feel like you're sitting (Note: this particular cushion may not help everyone completely, but it may be very helpful to some).
2) Be SURE to take all of your regular supplements/softeners with you. This includes - all stool softeners or laxatives you may use, metemucil/benefibre/whatever you use to get your fibre intake, your multivitamins/vitamin C, anything else that helps you have smooth BM's (e.g. flax seed oil, aloe vera, prune juice, etc.). If you are going for a short trip, you can put the desired amount into smaller cartons that are easy for travel - but keep in mind - it's always better to have more of this stuff than not enough! ***Be sure to bring whatever medicine you use (e.g. diltiazem, nitroglycerin, etc.)***
3) Bring a few packages of baby wipes and keep them in your purse/handbag (make sure you keep a purse/handbag if you already don't). For emergency bathroom breaks or if you have to use a public restroom, the toilet paper can often be REALLY hard. Just bring your flushable wipes and use them throughout the trip. **ALSO BRING Q-TIPS if you use this to apply your medication***
4) Bring some hand sanitizer/soap incase you ever need to apply medicine with your fingers and can't get it off! Hand sanitzer/hand wipes are really useful for travelling especially when you need to eat.
5) DO NOT EAT ANYTHING THAT YOU WOULDN'T EAT AT HOME! You need to be just as careful on the road as you would be at home (if not MORE careful)! This includes: pizza, cheese, milk, etc., and whatever else normally causes you constipation or irritation towards your fissure. Be extra careful about what you eat, and aim for more salads and healthy options.
6) When travelling on the road, there are often farms or markets where you can stop to pick up fresh fruit. Carry fresh/clean water with you, so that you can wash whatever fruit you buy. EAT FRUIT! This is an excellent way to keep up your fibre and ensure a healthy BM - just pick up loads of fruit on the way (e.g. grapes if that doesn't irritate you, peaches, plums, and whatever else you find helps you). Picking up fresh fruits & veggies can really help you stay healthy.
7) When you're eating at Buffets or Restaurants (sp?), always check if they offer fruit platters. For Restaurants, try to pick healthy options like vegetable stir-fries/less meat and alcohol, etc.
Image Keep your bum clean. Try to bathe/soak in the tub if you get the chance.
9) If you can take pure aloe vera juice or gel, it may help you to apply this incase you irritate your fissure and need some calming.
10) RELAX! I've always found that I have less pain during a BM when I am totally relaxed or when my mind is focussing on something apart from the BM itself. Relax, enjoy, and have fun - as long as you take care of yourself as regular, you'll be fine :)
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 01 Jun 2007, 14:45

Those are great suggestions Sunshine and very thorough I might add!
One I might suggest is to try to keep your schedule similar to that at home. You don't have to be completely strict but the fewer changes in your biorhythms the better. Try to go to the bathroom the same as you normally do at home.
And the most important is (at least for me)......
Bring a box of All Bran Buds. I keep a box in my car at all times! (J/K) but still it is awesome in promoting regularity and after about 150 bowls I think I am starting to get used to the taste!

Postby dano » 02 Jun 2007, 16:18

what about the beach,i imagine sand in the fissure would be no good! what about the salt water,maybe the ocean can be a giant sitz bath in 85 degree water.you think it would sting alot?
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Deleted User 5 » 04 Jun 2007, 05:48

Maybe someone with an active fissure who lives near the ocean could volunteer to do some research, eh Dano?
Deleted User 5

Postby SunshineHope » 04 Jun 2007, 14:52

Hmm not sure about that Dano! Ive been swimming in an indoor pool and the chlorine didn't seem to bother me. The water is usually lukewarm and it felt pretty good being in there for an hour. I think the ocean could be the same, as long as the location you're at is fairly clean, and yeah, getting sand in my fissure area would NOT be pleasant, I'd avoid that at all costs!
Kim or anyone else, do you guys have any other tips for travelling?
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 13 Jun 2007, 21:43

Just bumping this up for Kate who needed some info about traveling.
One thing I might add for those of us who are going to be visiting relatives is to be comfortable enough to let them know that you are trying to follow a diet for a health condition and that they don't need to do anything special but that you might not be able to eat all the things they have there. When you get there go the grocery store to get your survival kit items.