Is there anyone else like me

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Is there anyone else like me

Postby Jen » 07 Mar 2008, 10:16

I am so torn beteew getting surgery and just seeing if this ever goes away. My BM's are rarely painful. Sometimes there is a drop of blood, most the time not. The last time my AF tore was Feb 9th. My problem is that my fissure heals completely, and them I have all this anxiety about it reopening. I don't know if I have spasms - just alot of tension down there whan I have a BM. I just feel like I need a bigger anus! I feel like if I ever do get constipated, my bum will tear right open, but if I get the surgery, won't that happen anyway if I got constipated? My stools are usually a 5 on the stool scale, and there is still tension. I also have BM's everyday.
I just can't live like this anymore. I constantly think about my AF, and it is affecting my life. I have been on nifedipine for a month...shouls I give it more time?
Also, sometimes there is a slight burning/itching feeling (not painful) on the inside of my bum...anyone else have this? I thought it might be healing...I don't know...
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Re: Is there anyone else like me

Postby buttgirl » 07 Mar 2008, 10:52

It's really up to you. Mine began that way--I would feel like it was healing for a month and them whammo, something would injure it again. Oftern i couldn't really tell what caused it. This went on for a while and then it felt like it was getting infected. A few months after that a full blown abscess erupted. I got it drained--read major fissure, and have not completely healed from the side effects of the srugery and I think the incision site busts open again from time to time. the one thing I do have to say is the longer an area stays healed, the stronger it will be. one month is definitely not enough time to regain much strength. Fissulyna and others will probably remember the stats better, but I think it takes something like 4 months to regain 40% of the skin's strength in the wound and one year ot regain 80% of the strength. the LIS is to relax the area, which will help during bm (if you tend to clench from pain) and will help you heal quicker and less painfully.
i hear others get the itsches. I get burning when I have too liquidy, acidy, or spicy of a poo.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 07 Mar 2008, 11:02

I have an appointment for surgery on march 13. I was also torn between getting surgery and waiting it out. Still am but I think that's just the fear setting in. I was diagnosed 8 months ago but I think I've had for longer and was just misdiagnosed. I have tried every other outlet available (baths, creams, botox.) My problem is that I'll heal and be ok for 3 weeks or so and then I end up retearing.
I am also just tired of constantly thinking about my AF. 8 months is a long time. The surgery is no ticket to an AF-free life but it does help you heal. Even if you have a retear the fact that the muscle has been slightly cut allows for less pressure and more blood flow therefore allowing you to heal much quicker. And of course there are no spasms.
How long have you had your AF? Personally I needed to exhaust every other possibility before agreeing to surgery. But that's me. People have healed without the surgery but its a longer process.

Postby Jen » 07 Mar 2008, 14:14

It is hard to say how long I have had my fissure...My bum problems started 1 year ago after the birth of my baby. I think I initally had a fissure & internal hemmies. I think my fissure healed fast and the hemmies kind of hung around. Around November, I think my fissure came back (about the same time the hemmies went away).
I am really torn on what to do...I have been reading alot of posts on abcesses and now I am afraid I will get one of those.
I really don't think my fissure is that bad - it does heal quickly - I really just want normal BM's and this "tension" in my bum to go away.
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Fissulyna » 07 Mar 2008, 15:37

As long as you have fissure your tension will not go away. Your poop hurts and automatically your sphincter tightens. When your sphincter tightens it keeps fissure opened and it can not heal. So, it is a vicious cycle. Some people don't have spasms though, and maybe they have little easier time. With spasms one has pain for hours after BM, I had pain 24/7 : ((( !!!
Yes, Chris, you remembered well the stats ; )) , fissure site needs about a year to regain just 80 % of its original strength. For some people 2 years for 100 %. So yeah, no wonder they open so often and with the slightest change in the BM : (((.
LIS gave me instantaneous relief from spasms and my fissure closed in 9 weeks completely regardless of changes in my BM. It is not called "golden standard" treatment for chronic fissure without reason ; ) !
All the best !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61