Bleeding

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Bleeding

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Dec 2008, 11:10

I agree with Gareth, don;t overdo the fiber but make sure you are getting enough for your weight/height.
It could be a hemmy or the fissure, since you didn't mention pain, it would be impossible to know without an exam, I would think.
Since you strained, I wouldn't worry. I still had occasional bleeding with hard stools/straining almost a year after my LIS. You still have a compromised spot. If it continues, Jo, go see your Dr. for an exam. But let pain be your guide for worrying, not an occasional episode of bleeding!
Take care!
Deleted User 5

Postby Jo » 09 Dec 2008, 11:19

Thanks Happy & Kim,
I wouldn't be overly worried, except the blood seemed to be more than a small bit on the tp. It reminded me of the time before my surgery when there seemed to be more blood, coating 1/2 side of bm Image. It was unusual cause bm the day before seemed to have indention side, like an internal hemmie possibly. I was hoping they would never return. I don't think I like this Christmas present! 2 days of bleeding now, I don't think it will stop today. Image Some discomfort also.
I have been taking about 1 1/2 tsp of benefiber in am and thought I should add more fiber...maybe metamucil dose in the afternoon/evening?

Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby cherylk » 09 Dec 2008, 11:37

Jo,
I think only a doc can diagnose the cause of your bleeding. Internal hemmies can bleed and so can fissures. I thought you had been doing well with your Miralax!!! But anyway, for what it's worth I take benefibre a few times a day and metamucil in the aft. We know that stress can play a very big part in this also. Maybe you could make an appt with a doc to have an exam? I think the indecision of what to do can greatly add to the prob--especially when there are various options available. One thing about it--you have had rectal probs in the past. So, it is most likely not a life threatening prob. My Mayo GI doc told me that cancer is usually painless. Therefore, it is probably a fissure or a hemroid. Either of those conditions can be remedied. For the fissure there is Botox, ointments, and LIS. For the hemmies they often settle down by themselves. If not, there are multiple options. At Mayos they told me if they see a fissure, they stop the exam. That is when I was contemplating Botox if necessary. If it is a fissure that has reopened, an ointment might easily solve the prob. Hang in there and know you will get this solved eventually!
Jen,
I am doing fairly well, but I had a small amount of blood about a month ago. I use my ointment when necessary, but am able to drive and participate in life (finally). I also can sit. I will stay on my my A/D and continue to see my psychiatrist although I am lengthening the time between appts. I am continuing to try to increase the benefibre also with the hopes of being able to eventually decrease the amount of Miralax I take. Also hoping the pelvic floor retraining class at Mayos that I plan to take might help me also.
Cheryl
PS Sorry for this long epistle!!
:nevergive:
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 09 Dec 2008, 12:20

Thats a girl Jo - Use everything and anything see how the next few days go - I have used the suppositories before too they do help - I think it says not too use them for longer than a week :roll:
Take some time for you Jo Image maybe a nice soak ! :bathtub:
xx

Postby Guest » 09 Dec 2008, 15:03

I know how hard it is to go from no bleeding to blood overnight. I would do what you can to keep things soft and even take some fish oil or flax seed oil to coat the stool so it slips out.

I can't imagine your hemmies could be back after a year. You haven't been straining or anything. But the only way is to get it checked out.

I am so sorry. What an awful thing to have happen. That area is just so, so sensitive. I know anything remotely scratchy at all and I will bleed again.

Postby Jo » 09 Dec 2008, 15:17

Thanks Cheryl for the good support. Image
I am not worried about anything too serious since I had a colonoscopy in February. Either the hemmies or fissure, or I guess slow to heal wounds=easy to tear tissue Image . I will probably make an appt for January at Mayo, even though things will hopefully be settled down by then.
Tabby Image
I had a nice soak last night and will again today Image
Also will increase the fiber a little and try some of the meds I have.
I only have 2 suppositories left, so I guess that is all I'll try!
Also the fissure ointment, I do have refills until March. Image
Thanks Lecia, I can't imagine hemmies back yet either. Image I tend to forget my fish oil, Image but I will try to take again daily.
I am still taking Miralax frequently but can forget that sometimes. I just didn't think I was getting constipated though.
It just seemed like too much blood to be fissure acting up?!
I will try to be more careful.
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 10 Dec 2008, 06:06

jo,
not sure if you have a whole foods nearby, but when i thought i had hemmies and what not, i bought this little homeopathic medicine cream called "NELSONS HEMORRHOID CREAM: SOOTHING RELIEF".
it sometimes offered me comfort with laverne and shirley too.
it has a. hipposcastanum tincture, calendula officinalis tincture, hamamelis virginica tincture, and paeonia officinalis tincture.
it is for hemorrhoids but if i had irritated by bum say for too much "gas" rather than an actual retear, i would use this to help soothe after a shower and pat dry.
it is made in the UK and distributed by Nelson Back USA from Wilmington, MA.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Corsi » 13 Dec 2008, 08:22

How are you Jo?
Image Image Image Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Jo » 13 Dec 2008, 08:27

Hi Corsi,
I am better, just a little bleeding now. Not really any pain. :)
How are you? Missed seeing you lately.
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 13 Dec 2008, 08:53

Jo,
I am glad that you are feeling better!!
Image [/size]
cherylk
VIP