mnmom - I'm back!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: mnmom - I'm back!

Postby mnmom » 12 Jan 2009, 06:28

Oh my gosh. I tried the MOM last night. I thought I better start out with very little, so I only took about 2 teaspoons at about 10pm. Within a couple of hours I started to feel nauseous and sweaty. I went to bed and proceeded to wake up several times through the night and felt sweaty. I hardly got any sleep. Now I am up at 6:30 and I still don't feel like a bowel movement is imminent. I'm glad it works well for others, but I don't think I will be taking it again! I think I will stick with my aloe vera juice.
mnmom
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Deleted User 5 » 12 Jan 2009, 07:10

That's an unusual reaction to what's normally a well tolerated OTC. It made my stools too mushy.
Are you constipated, MN? I hope not!
It could be two teaspoons is just too much! I have seen several other boardies who needed less...
Deleted User 5

Postby mnmom » 12 Jan 2009, 07:29

I usually have 2-3 large well-formed bowel movements a day. I thought maybe they are too big and that is aggravating the fissure, so thought I would try the MOM. I don't usually get constipated except for a touch of it around ovulation. I guess I will stick to the aloe juice. That usually works well for me.
mnmom
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 5 » 12 Jan 2009, 07:36

If your stools are bulky, it sounds like maybe you are just getting too much fiber. I'd say maybe cut back on the metamucil but not the aloe or flaxseed. And note your portions of fibrous foods through out the day, although keep in mind you definitely need your RDA of fiber, just not too much! Image
Deleted User 5

Postby mnmom » 12 Jan 2009, 07:43

Thanks Kim. Sounds like good ideas! Love the little emoticon too!
mnmom
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2009, 09:18

Do you grind the flaxseed? Since the aren't digested whole, I wonder if they make your stool stratchy at all?

Postby mnmom » 12 Jan 2009, 12:18

I buy the flaxseed ground and I mix it with water. It's pretty finely ground, but maybe the sharp edges could still be irritating. I bought a new big bottle of flaxseed oil capsules. Maybe I should use those for a while instead of the actual flaxseed.
I hardly got any sleep last night because of the MOM incident, so I came home from work early and I am going to sleep! I just talked to my friend Vicky who is a nurse and she said she has seen patients break into a sweat from MOM and get so bad that they almost seem like they are having a heart attack. I guess it doesn't agree with some of us.
My Mom said that someone posed a question about anal fissures to Dr. Oz on the Oprah show the other day and he stressed to keep the area dry, even to use a hair dryer.
I have one of those silicon ice cube trays that makes little rectangular ice cubes and I have started using them to clean and soothe after a bowel movement. It works great!
mnmom
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2009, 12:29

I would have liked to have seen the Dr. Oz episode. I tune in sometimes just hoping someone will ask an anus question.
Sorry about the advice on the MOM. It really helps me but can be a shock to the system for some people especially that first time.
Thanks for the tip on the ice cubes.

Postby cherylk » 12 Jan 2009, 12:41

Guys/gals,
My local CRS also advised me to keep the area dry, and I am not sure why???
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46