laid open fistula surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: laid open fistula surgery

Postby Deleted User 5 » 02 Apr 2009, 13:36

I never had a fistula, so I couldn't answer this from any experience. I have to wonder if anyone who even had a fistula could, it would probably require trained medical advice but with that caveat, here goes my guess.
Gas (of any kind) is very permeable and under pressure even more so, it can move through the tiniest of microscopic spaces. IF you have loose tissue that could be pushed through (seperated) by pressurized (i.e. f@rts) gas then why not. Then again, anatomy may preclude that happening and I sure don't know enough about anal anatomy to say.
Your fistula area MAY act like a weak area similar to a potential aneurism in a balloon/blood vessel and allow gas through.
But really, this is all just me guessing and scratching me head. Like I said, probably only your surgeon could say for sure.
Deleted User 5

Postby derryboy » 03 Apr 2009, 07:34

Well the nurse today had a good look around my butt area, and she reckons there might be a start of re-infection to my open wound.as there seems to be swelling again around that area and the perianal area.she took a swab which the results wil be back wednesday next week. So the doctor gp surgery has just phoned and they have put me back on metronidazole nd flucloxacillin antibiotics. Image god i am so really down about this grrr, things had been gong well up till last night to. i just cant seem to get out of it just now, i have been treting my butt with xtra luvn care, maybe even turn a bit ocd with the cleaning and keeping it clean, but to no avail, so it seems,just makes me feel wots the point, will i ever heal proper again, cuz i really dont want to go through life dealing with this, i just couldnt, its just to much to deal with. i know theres people on here going through so much more and facing demons everyday,i may sound selfish even as ive been i guess at least basicly pain free apart from a few bad days here and there. i might feel more focused etc after a sleep. sorry for ranting on guys, i feel so down Image
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby Guest » 03 Apr 2009, 08:41

You rant on Dazzy ! Image
Man that does suck but atleast if you have an infection you have caught in good time Image
When do you see Mr Smith ??

Postby derryboy » 03 Apr 2009, 09:23

well tabby hi how r u. all well i hope.
well my doctor has ever recieved any reports from the mri scan taken on 23rd march, so i thought id chase things up.
i was imformed by the mri dept that my scan had been indeed sent up to mr smith on the 26th march, as urgent... so they sugest i call ward 7 and ask to tlk to his sect, i did this... only to be told they have no record of me..... after a while trying to assure her that mr smith was my consaltant, she found that my mri scan had indeed been sent up to them, but am not on there radar apart from this. there now away to look for my records and look at the notes that were written after my surgery, but as this woman i spoke said, it might take a while. cause there is no trace of me being under mr smith, so ave been told to call back on wednesday if they havnt call me, thing is i cud go chap mr smiths door, he only lives 5 mins up the high st from me tabby lol, i wonder what he`d do lmao.
derryboy
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 03 Apr 2009, 10:00

Ahh Dazzy that is frustrating Image the case of missing records and the NHS !!
I sure hope by Wednesday they find your notes and you get your app soon !
Hang tight Image
Ok cool you know where Mr Smith lives I say we go round and have some butt chat! Image
I go back and see him in 3 weeks for my follow up, praying for good news Dazzy ! Image

Postby derryboy » 03 Apr 2009, 10:13

Am very sure it will be all gd news for you tabby. will keep you in my thoughts and prayers my dear friend.
hows things been for you since you surgery tabby. have you seen an improvement. do you feel better. can you eat pretty much anything now, or do u still restrict yoursef from certain foods
derryboy
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 03 Apr 2009, 11:35

Thanks for asking Dazzy !
I have seen a definite improvement since the surgery, I am eating a normal/healthy/ibs/fissure diet Image and even some dairy now but I have to watch as I have IBS so everything in moderation ! I am still very cautious …
:roll:
We are both very lucky to have such a competent surgeon, it will all come right Dazzy Image

Postby dano » 15 Apr 2009, 20:13

"question is when passing gas would it be possibe for some of the gas to come out of the open wound"
i know im late on this,but YES its possible,when i had mine,i would cut one and it would fill up the fistula cavity with gas! you could sit a different way on you rear and it would escape,weird feeling,like a wad of tissue paper in you butt,till you expelled the gas in the fistula cavity,then it felt normal again
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby derryboy » 06 Aug 2009, 04:04

back to see mr smith next week. still feels tight, some days really bad, but hey... the valerian seems to help. the powder help more...
see what mr smith says next week....
derryboy
King Fissure

Postby Deleted User 5 » 06 Aug 2009, 05:25

Still having some bad days, Darren? I was sure hoping that not hearing from you much meant you were doing a bit better! Are some days pretty good? Overall, is the number of bad days decreasing!
Hope Dr. Smith can do something to speed things up next week! Hang in there!
Deleted User 5