Hi I can't believe I found a forum board for butt pain!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Hi I can't believe I found a forum board for butt pain!

Postby Guest » 15 Apr 2009, 09:45

Yeah, my daughter owes me a lifetime of servitude after what she did to my bottom!!! Image

Postby juney » 15 Apr 2009, 10:09

whyme - so you've healed the fissure?? congratulations!
i'm curious, how long were you using hydrocortisone suppositories? those provide me with some relief but i'm scared to use them for too long. did you use them consistently for 2 months?
how much miralax have you been taking? i like to know what works for others!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Apr 2009, 10:19

I do believe that we all need adequate water, but I also firmly believe that only a fraction of what we drink "extra" is gonna got towards making our stools softer. I would try drinking plenty at mealtime or soon after, and not focus so much on bulking with h2o all day...
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 15 Apr 2009, 10:54

Those of us taking Miralax and/or fiber supplements need plenty of water to go along with supplements. I used to chew FiberChoice tabs with no water which probably contributed to my constipation issues. Also, my doctor tells me to drink plenty of water when taking Miralax.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 15 Apr 2009, 12:12

Cute photo, Kim!

Postby whyme » 15 Apr 2009, 19:04

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/nu00283
Check out this link on how much water you should drink. You really shouldn't drink at mealtime.
I got this calculation from
http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nutrition/water.htm
Example Calculation:
Pounds of body weight = 150lb
Water requirement from above (75% of body weight for an active person) =112.5 oz
Add for dryness of climate+16oz
Add for strenous exercise+ 16oz
Total per day 144.5 oz.
Divide by the number of hours you're awake to find your hourly water requirement: 144.5 ч 16 = 9 oz.
Therefore, a 150-pound active person who works out should drink 9 oz. of water for each hour awake.
This is only an estimate. "Actual mileage may vary."
Water is the only liquid your body needs to operate. There is a good book called "Your bodies many cries for Water." It's a good read and talks about the diseases caused over your lifetime of chronic dehydration. This book opened my eyes up about how important water is to your body.
I am a massage therapist and know what happens to the muscles when you don't drink water. Not soda or tea, but water.
True you can make your sick from drinking too much water.
Research shows that although increased fluid intake does not necessarily help relieve constipation, many people report some relief from their constipation if they drink fluids such as water and juice and avoid dehydration. Liquids add fluid to the colon and bulk to stools, making bowel movements softer and easier to pass. People who have problems with constipation should try to drink liquids every day. However, liquids that contain caffeine, such as coffee and cola drinks will worsen one’s symptoms by causing dehydration. Alcohol is another beverage that causes dehydration. It is important to drink fluids that hydrate the body, especially when consuming caffeine containing drinks or alcoholic beverages.
Other causes of constipation
* not enough fiber in the diet
* lack of physical activity (especially in the elderly)
* medications
* milk
* irritable bowel syndrome
* changes in life or routine such as pregnancy, aging, and travel
* abuse of laxatives
* ignoring the urge to have a bowel movement
* dehydration
* specific diseases or conditions, such as stroke (most common)
* problems with the colon and rectum
* problems with intestinal function (chronic idiopathic constipation)
I am using one capful a day of the Miralax, I use approx. 3 heaping teaspoons a day of Metamucil Clear. I am drinking 60-80 ozs of water each day, I weigh 230 lbs. I take a Lower Bowel Stimulant that is an herbal blend from Nature's Sunshine. I am now eating once a day Activa yogurt with probiotics, I eat a banana and try to eat at least one cup of raw vegetables a day.
To heal the fissure I used the following: stopped using TP and used the non scented baby wipes - wiping gently after BM's, I used A&D ointment. My fissure has healed and the spasms have stopped. My dr prescribed Analpram, but I haven't used as of yet. As soon as I started the Metamucil Clear, the BM's became soft and happened first thing in the morning.
I have stopped drinking a glass of milk in the AM with my herbal supplements and vitamins that I take, I now drink organic chocolate soy milk. And the rest of the day I drink water. I do indulge in 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning and maybe a 3-4 beers during a week.
All I know is if I drink my water, I have 2-3 soft BM's per day, I am losing some weight too, as I am not as hungry.
This is what has worked for me. I know if I don't drink enough water eat enough fiber that I will be right back to the painful fissure.
whyme
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Apr 2009, 19:58

Thanks for all the info! You should certainly drink as much water as you feel works best, especially for your fissure. Your article does reiterate what I believe, however, that there's no evidence that bulking with water aids in constipation. And if you are constantly going to the bathroom to pee out the quarts of water you've ingested all day, what have you accomplished (beyond the extra exercise)?
We get water from a variety of sources, including the majority of the "solid" foods we ingest. There's a growing body of evidence that the eight glasses a day rule simply doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Your body is always striving for statis, and if you are peeing constantly, (and drinking constantly) then you are not in balance.
http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
http://www.anfas.org/2008/04/30/do-you-really-need-8-glasses-of-water-each-day/
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-34756129_ITM
The bottled water industry would love for us all to believe we need to be constantly pouring the H2O down!
http://digg.com/d1VOb5
(good stats here on how much fluid we pee, sweat, and get from food daily)
And it certainly doesn't hurt to drink 8 or ten glasses a day, I just don't believe it's necessary unless you losing that much every day, for whatever reason.
I am a massage therapist and know what happens to the muscles when you don't drink water. Not soda or tea, but water.
That holds true for all the body's systems...not just the muscular system. Water and oxygen are just two things your going to have to have daily, and in the proper amounts... the question here is, what is the proper amount?
As for not drinking with a meal, I am a bit confused...one needs to ingest water with fiber in order for the fiber to be of optimum use...and we all should be getting most of our fiber from natural sources, at mealtime????
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 15 Apr 2009, 22:27

I would not think that Mayo endorses any water company Image , and by their recommendation men should have 13 glasses of water Image - so Kimmy-boy, you better start gulping that thing ASAP.
Taking water with food theoretically can dilute digestive "juices" and slow digestion but that is just a theory that does not hold any truth. As Kim said - our body can increase or decrease production of any necessary substance in our body . If our stomach gets the info that Ph is not acidic enough - it will produce more acid and so fort - so drinking water during meals can only make you feel full faster - which can be a good thing Image.
I think that best test for adequate water intake is color of the urine - if it is very yellow - you need extra water. Color should be VERY light yellow, almost transparent.
Taking extra water during critical fissure healing time is just precaution for patient to NOT get dehydrated by accident - forgetting to take minimum amount necessary to stop EXTRA of final re absorption of the water in the end of the colon. If person forgets to take normal amount of liquid and is in a situation that he/she needs extra water that day (he/she exercised, day was hot, alcohol was consumed, too much coffee, etc. ), she/he can expect really hard and very formed fecal matter. So, although extra water can not relieve somebodies chronic constipation - it can help preventing it happen for normal person, especially if extra fiber is consumed too.
Happy water gulping to all Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby whyme » 16 Apr 2009, 05:38

I agree that your body pulls water from other foods that we eat. But your body also pulls water from other organs of the body when it needs water. Your blood pulls water from your largest organ, your skin, then from the lungs (the lungs needs to be hydrated, so if your blood is pulling water the lungs produce more mucas to keep the inner lungs lubricated), and then it's just a trickle down effect, pulling water from each organ to hydrate the rest of the body. Your intestines need a certain amount of water to work properly.
If you feel thirsty or hungry, chances are, you are already dehydrated.
It takes your stomach approx 20 minutes to tell your brain that you are full.
When you increase your water intake, you will be making extra trips to the bathroom to pee, but your body will adjust and the bladder will hold more, then less trips.
I guess my point is, your diet is crucial to healing, when your rectum is screaming at you and making your life miserable, stop and think about what you put in your mouth. Instead of drinking a soda, drink a glass of water.
This whole ordeal for me was another wake up call to change my eating habits, no fast food, no crap, eat healthier. If you have issues with the digestive system, stay away from sugars and high fructose corn syrup, stay away from soda's. The phospates in sodas reek havoc with your stomach, it causes a constant ph fight with your stomach, plus it ends up destroying your bones causing osteo problems, especially for women.
Our western diets are slowing killing us and our kids.
whyme
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby cherylk » 16 Apr 2009, 05:40

Drinking pop/soda is bad, but everyone does it!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46