Hello!...AF sufferer hoping to avoid surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Hello!...AF sufferer hoping to avoid surgery

Postby cherylk » 30 Oct 2009, 14:12

I was prescribed Anusol for a thrombosed hemmroid. I think it may thin the skin and not work so well for an AF. I think you could use your pinky finger to insert the ointment. My little pinky is not much bigger than the ointment applicator, but anything inserted into that area puts dread into a person with an AF! I think I would try to find an applicator for the Diliatzen--maybe ask the pharmacist about one!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby William » 31 Oct 2009, 08:14

Update: I had to quit using diltiazem because of bad side effects (hot & edgy, plus BM problems). (Click here for details)
The Nupercainal is working great for pain. Now I just need a way to lube down there so I don't continue to injure it. Hopefully, with continued good diet habits and laxatives/stoolsofteners, I'll start healing again. Unfortunately, this little episode set me back at least a month.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby afugh!! » 01 Nov 2009, 04:04

Maybe you should try other creams,unfortunately nif and nitro also has side effects of its own but you maybe more tolerant to the others.Nitro gave me headaches but I found the right amount to use so I wouldn't get the headaches.The other side effect I got was the burning and irritation but I started mixing it with lidocaine and it took care of that.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby cherylk » 01 Nov 2009, 05:56

Maybe you could lube with vasoline prior to a bm. I used to do that.
cherylk
VIP

Postby William » 01 Nov 2009, 06:58

cherylk wrote:Maybe you could lube with vasoline prior to a bm. I used to do that.

I tried A&D ointment yesterday for the first time and it seemed to work pretty well. If I decide I need something better, I may try vasoline or some other lube like astroglide. I've tried KY before, but that dries up and gets sticky almost instantly. Silicone-based lubes sounded like they might be a good idea since they last a while.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 01 Nov 2009, 07:18

Sounds like you are working on it. Good luck!
cherylk
VIP

Postby William » 07 Nov 2009, 08:00

I started doing a lot better after I quit taking the diltiazem, so the setback wasn't as bad as I feared. I've been able to use the A&D ointment before BMs and have hardly needed the Nupercainal. I also switched from ducosate sodium to Miralax, and that has had profound effects. In fact, it's made my BMs too soft, so I think I'll need to cut back on the dosage.
My previous mention of getting a hemorrhoid turned out to be a false alarm, but I definitely have one today (one of those rim ones). I'm a bit puzzled about it, since I usually can associate these with either harder stools or sitting in uncomfortable chairs. I'm about to blame my sitz bath, which I just started using. It's awkward to sit in that thing, and I've been taking regular baths for a while now so I don't think I can blame sitting in the hard bath tub. I just need one of those old-timey ceramic sitz baths. :)
I'm trying to change my GI. After my episode with diltiazem, my current doc just said to keep using the analpram and implied that there were no other options. Of course, I heard this all through the medical assistant. Staying with him isn't really an good idea, since I just don't think I'm going to heal unless I get something to get blood flowing down there. He has also seemed in a hurry to jump to the surgery option. Unfortunately, it's been a week and I still haven't gotten my requested new referral. When I do get it, I'll have to wait another week to get in to the doctor. Hopefully I can at least maintain my current situation until then. It's just like when I had my two-and-a-half weeks of excruciating pain waiting to see the doctor when this whole mess started. My insurance sucks.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 07 Nov 2009, 09:46

Wow that sucks. Definitely ask you new doc about nitroglycerin and nifedipine. If your current doc says there are no other options then it's time to drop him for sure. My primary physician insisted that the only option for fissures was hydrocortisone cream or surgery and I never bothered seeing him again. Unfortunately uneducated (and arrogant to boot) doctors are not uncommon. The good news is there are plenty of good ones out there. Hope your new one is better!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby William » 10 Nov 2009, 08:40

Well, the other doc on the plan won't see me because she "doesn't want to step on the other doctor's toes" and "doesn't do second opinions", so I guess I'm stuck with my current guy. I just left a message with his assistant about the nitroglycerin and nifedipine, so we'll see what he says. I just get the impression that he doesn't know much about treating this problem.
My hemorrhoid has settled down a bit, but it's still there. And as of last night, I'm having horrible itching down there. It's hard to tell where it is coming from, and I sure hope it's not the AF or the A&D ointment that I've been using. Maybe it's just the hemorrhoid healing??? The itching is almost as bad as the last days that I used diltiazem. Interestingly, in both cases the itching hasn't bothered me while sitting down (only when I'm up and about).
Speaking of the A&D, I made the wonderful discovery that the applicator from my preparation H tube works on the A&D tube. That should help me be more comfortable applying it, since I was concerned about using the finger cots. Hopefully the fact that the applicator is getting the A&D is getting up there further isn't causing the itching problem.
Edit: After looking into A&D a bit more, I'm starting to think that I'm having a reaction to it (allergies or clogged pores or something). I was thinking that maybe the itching was due to the prep H that I used yesterday, but it was fine this morning until a few hours after I used the A&D. I suppose it could just be a problem on the outside, since the applicator tends to dispense more there. Dunno. I guess I need to find another lube now. Image

Sorry if I keep rambling.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William » 14 Nov 2009, 06:22

My doc said he's not familiar with nifedipine or nitro and I apparently can't change doctors, so I guess I'll just have to try to keep my stool soft and hope for the best. :roll:
William
Proctosphincteranalogist