Hello!...AF sufferer hoping to avoid surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Hello!...AF sufferer hoping to avoid surgery

Postby cherylk » 14 Nov 2009, 07:13

William,
Do you live in the US????
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby William » 14 Nov 2009, 07:53

cherylk wrote:Do you live in the US????

Yes, why? Image
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby cherylk » 14 Nov 2009, 08:36

I cannot understand why a US doc would not be familiar with nitro or nefedipine!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby William » 15 Nov 2009, 00:22

William wrote:I'm having horrible itching down there...After looking into A&D a bit more, I'm starting to think that I'm having a reaction to it (allergies or clogged pores or something).

I've developed a rash on the outside, and I've been blaming the A&D. However, I pretty sure that I've figured out that the Miralax is causing some anal leakage, which is irritating the skin there. I only hope that it doesn't aggravate the AF too much before it gets out of my system.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William » 19 Nov 2009, 11:09

This sucks. The Miralax is finally out of my system and the rash is gone, but over the last few days I've started having worsening stinging when I start my BM and pain for hours afterwards, even with fairly soft BMs. Today, the stinging is really bad. I'd like to blame the last vestiges of my hemmy, but the feeling is too much like my initial AF pain, so that's what I think it is.
On the good side, the doctor switch did go through after all. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get in for a couple of weeks.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 03 Dec 2009, 17:59

Hey William, any updates on your side? It's been a few weeks, did you get in to see your new doc yet?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby William » 05 Dec 2009, 12:49

Thanks for checking up!
The pain that I was having during my last update was due to an internal hemorrhoid that was making it difficult to have BMs. I had to strain a bit to go, which aggrevated my fissure a bit. As soon as I figured out what was going on, I started using lots of Prep H, which started shrinking the hemorrhoid enough to make BMs a lot easier.
When I got in to see my new doc, she prescribed Canasa suppositories (supposedly both for my fissure and hemorrhoid). They are really helping with the hemorrhoid, but I'm scared of aggrevating the fissure while inserting them. I was continuing to use Prep H to lube the suppositories, but that causes some itching and stinging down there, so I'm now using K-Y. I'll keep my fingers crossed and finish my 21-day course. The doc agreed that using the Miralax probably led to my bad hemorrhoid.
I seem to be doing ok for the time being. I'm hoping that once I finish with the Canasa, I can just continue on a "natural" course of fiber (and Benefiber), water, and sitz baths. Hopefully the hemmy will stay away after the Canasa is gone.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 07 Dec 2009, 16:48

Nice, let us know how it goes.
Out of curiosity, which Prep H are you going with? I think lately my hemorrhoids might be acting up a bit after a long hiatus, too. I've tried basically all of the Prep H ointments/creams in the past and liked the witch hazel-based "Cooling Gel" and the hydocortisone-based ones the best. I never liked the original formula, that yellow jelly-like stuff, very much.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby William » 22 Dec 2009, 20:49

NeuropathicGuy wrote:Out of curiosity, which Prep H are you going with? I think lately my hemorrhoids might be acting up a bit after a long hiatus, too. I've tried basically all of the Prep H ointments/creams in the past and liked the witch hazel-based "Cooling Gel" and the hydocortisone-based ones the best. I never liked the original formula, that yellow jelly-like stuff, very much.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I've been using the original stuff. Occasionally, I use the suppositories.
As for my status, I went through the first two weeks of my Canasa fine. At the start of the third week, however, I had a hard stool that set me back a few days. But by the end of my 3-week Canasa regimen, I was doing pretty well, almost normal. But today I had another hard stool, so I'm doing the Prep H as well as doubling my stool softener (which I started last week and seemed to be helping). I'm going on a trip in a couple of days, so I'm a bit concerned about keeping things ok.
I just can't get a handle on how to guarantee soft stools. Lots of fiber (w/ some Benefiber) and water aren't any guarantee, and my one stool softener a day don't seem to be a sure thing. Miralax is out, so I'm not sure what else to try.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 25 Dec 2009, 10:12

try miso soup with wakame every other morning. add in soft small cubes of tofu with approx. 3-6 shrimp. this is a good hearty breakfast.
on alternate days, use hot oatmeal or oatmeal like cereal.
if you can, also on days that u do not have miso soup for breakfast, use umeboshi plums - only have one per day.
try to get some kukicha tea (3 x per day) or else, have green tea (3 x per day). hot. not cold.
if you can find seaweed salad for lunch, have that on the days you don't have miso soup.
this should help restore your bm to more manageable bms without needing to get back on miralax.
keep water intake. and try to eat meat 1 or 2 times per week while increasing veggies/fruit on other days.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74