Hello...New here...Surgery scheduled for Monday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Hello...New here...Surgery scheduled for Monday

Postby chris2 » 21 Dec 2009, 11:11

day 7:
Saturday and Sunday went pretty well. No blood, no pain. I guess I'm going to attribute the murder scene of last week as having to do with being backed up for a couple days after the surgery. This morning I noticed a little bit of blood streaking in stool. I had to call the doctor anyway to schedule an appointment and he didn't seem concerned at all. I'm just going to keep taking it easy, eating light, taking the sitz baths, taking my vitamins and hoping for the best. The most important thing is that there is no pain.
Oh I should also mention that I am still regularly noticing some blood/discharge on the gauze pads I use. Bob when did you stop needing the gauze pads? Glad to hear you are making such a quick recovery
chris2
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby bob » 21 Dec 2009, 12:34

Stopped using the gauze pads about a week out. There was still light spotting but it was getting on my underwear anyway so the gauze didn't matter and hot water and bleach takes care of it. Be two weeks tomorrow and no blood at all now.
bob
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby chris2 » 26 Dec 2009, 10:56

here i am on day 12-
on the plus side: sitting for longer periods of time is no longer an issue anymore. blood in the bm is really just a spot here and there.
on the negative side: lots of blood still coming out on the gauze pads. doesn't seem to be decreasing at all. some discomfort when going to the bathroom. usually subsides in a minute or so after.
it is the holidays so i have been going from house to house nonstop for the past couple of days. today will be the end of the marathon. i just can't wait to get to the point where i don't have to wear/change gauze pads a couple of times a day. after today i'm going to go back to taking it easy, to help this recovery process along.
chris2
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissulyna » 29 Dec 2009, 03:43

ABSOLUTELY make your butt healing a priority !!!! You have a fissure to heal and your surgery was just the beginning of that process. It gave you a "fair chance" - do not miss it out ; ) !!!
Rest, take a lot of sitz-baths , make sure your poop is soft , keep that area dry and clean !!! You will have to keep up with a healthy diet for at LEAST a year ! For that area to heal completely and forever it is VERY important not to have any set-backs !!! After fissure heals , that area needs about 2 years to become as strong as it was "pre-fissure" ...
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby chris2 » 31 Dec 2009, 14:25

day 17:
A couple days ago my recovery seems to have turned the corner. I'm cautiously optimistic. No bleeding, no pain, very minimal to no blood on gauze pad. It is almost at the point of feeling normal when having to go to the bathroom. Still on my fiber/stool soften/sitz bath routine. I have a post op check up this coming tuesday, so we'll see what the doc says.
chris2
Fibre Addict

Postby chris2 » 05 Jan 2010, 16:56

went for my 3 week post op checkup today. Everything is going great. I haven't had any blood for almost a week. No need for a gauze pad anymore. No pain. I'm still a little sore for 5-10 seconds after a bowel movement, but it is not painful at all. The doc is happy with my progress and says unless I run into any problems, he doesn't need to see me again. woohoo!
I'm going to continue my high fiber/stool softener/multivitamin regimen. I'm also going to continue baths morning and night as well as a sitz bath after bm. At least for the next month. I'm not about to screw up any progress I've made.
I am so cautiously happy!
chris2
Fibre Addict

Postby cherylk » 05 Jan 2010, 18:21

Good going, Chris! Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby bob » 05 Jan 2010, 21:43

Great news Chris! I am now a month out and pain free and otherwise totally normal. What a wonderful feeling. I'll never take not being in pain for granted again - what a blessing.
bob
Salt Bather

Postby Fissulyna » 06 Jan 2010, 02:28

MAJOR CONGRATS to you both and may you continue to heal fast and completely and stay fissure-free forever and ever : ))) !!!!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby bob » 06 Jan 2010, 05:05

Thank you!
bob
Salt Bather