Hello...New here...Surgery scheduled for Monday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Hello...New here...Surgery scheduled for Monday

Postby chris2 » 06 Jan 2010, 11:34

thank you! as bob already said, I am not going to be taking this for granted
chris2
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby chris2 » 13 Jan 2010, 11:24

just had a setback. yesterday i noticed a little bit of blood after going to the bathroom. and today blood again. this is so frustrating. What I don't understand is that there is no pain and my bms are ridiculously soft. I don't know what more I can do. This is so frustrating. Image
chris2
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 13 Jan 2010, 13:09

Hi, don't worry about the blood it's normal. I assume you had LIS. That surgery is to relax the sphincter muscle so your fissure can heal. It doesn't fix the fissure, that takes some time. Just remember to keep your bms soft and strain free. Metamucil might be bulking you up too much. It tends to make the stool soft but larger and the stretching may be causing the fissure to open. You might want to try something like miralax, it doesn't make the stool larger but does keep it soft. Good luck Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Fissulyna » 15 Jan 2010, 02:19

As far as I can see - you had surgery Dec. 14 ??? So, you are now at week 4 or 5 post op ??? Fissure needs time to heal completely and usually 8-12 weeks to close completely and than about 8 mos to heal in deeper layers and about 2 years to be strong as before it ever formed !!!!
So - your specks do not mean that your are not healing - just that you are not healing SUPER fast .
Are you taking any "soaks" in warm water ? I also see that you started going to the gym already - I hope you are not doing any weight-training ??? It is a big NO NO !!! Do not carry anything very heavy before you heal ! I actually "opened" my fissure once after I was pulling a patio sofa/chaise : (((.
Be patient and vigilant and I am sure that you will heal pretty soon. Concentrate on the fact that you have no pain - YEEEAAAYYYY !!!!!
Wishing you all the best !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby chris2 » 15 Jan 2010, 14:19

Thanks for the advice guys! Fissulyna - I think you may be mixing me up with Bob. I haven't started working out yet. I'm still soaking 2-3 times day. The past 2 days have been blood free, so I'm not going to think too much about it. I'm still in the process of healing, and you are right the main thing is no pain.
Thanks again for the responses. It is great to be able to talk to other people about this.
chris2
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissulyna » 16 Jan 2010, 03:04

Sorry buddy :oops: :oops: :oops: !!!
I am glad you are taking it easy and helping your butt to have a great new start Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby LISnewbie » 16 Jan 2010, 10:23

hi, i am new here. i had LIS surgery on december 29, 2009. i have my 3 week post op checkup with the colon and rectal surgeon on monday. things were going really awesome after surgery. no pain or anything. now the last couple of days things feel tight again like before surgery and passing stools has been uncomfortable and slightly painful. i have not had any blood like before surgery. and i'm hoping the pain is only coming from the incision site, but i can't exactly tell.
i didn't have a really bad fissure going into surgery. i had several superficial cuts caused during the birth of toddler over 2 years ago.
i think i may have messed up and caused this but i'm not sure. i forgot to take my nightly stool softeners 2 days in a row and that is when this started. i have since taken them am hoping once they kick in things will be better. but i can't be sure since things feel a lot tighter than a couple weeks ago when i had the surgery.
is this normal for things start being uncomfortable and tight again after surgery? does everyone who has LIS go through this stage?
do i have to continue to take a fiber laxative such as citrucel or metamucil and stool softeners for a long time afterwards?
i will be asking my doc all these questions on monday, but i was hoping to get some insight from someone who has actually been through the surgery as well. thanks!
LISnewbie

Postby Fissulyna » 16 Jan 2010, 16:33

Hmmmm...it is very unusual to have "several" fissures : ((
But, that to the side, it is normal for a sphincter to regain some of its strength back -unfortunately Image . It is very fine balance between of how much was cut and how much actually needed to be cut for the best result and still not causing any incontinence.
CRSs are always on conservative side when they cut - which is good. Sometimes though, they cut too little and than sphincter can COMPLETELY go back to original strength and that happened to me. I had to have second LIS to finally have normal pressure in my anus Image .
I think that you should have medium soft poop - playable but NOT mushy or paste like. Anus has to work and also if it becomes accustomed to very soft poop it can actually get used to that and that is a no-no Image
I do not know how your poop is without softeners :roll: - if it is hard, than you definitely need to do something about that !!! It should not be TOO soft, but hard is going to do mayor damage :( . You are only 3 weeks out of the surgery and you should take care of your butt now like no other and give it a chance to heal forever !
I hope you are taking warm soaks at least 3 times a day ????
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby LISnewbie » 17 Jan 2010, 12:13

yeah, i've been doing at least 2 hot baths a day since surgery.
things have been a little better today. i think the citrucel, magnesium, and stool softeners are kicking in.
still a little bit a discomfort though. i guess i will just give things more time.
i'm just really glad i am not seeing any blood.
my CRS told me i didn't have a "true fissure" but several acute superficial cuts. he thought it was from being constipated whiling breastfeeding, but i think it happened when i tore really bad during childbirth.
either way, i'm a little depressed that things feel kinda tight again so soon. i will find out tomorrow if the superficial cuts have healed or not. if so, then obviously i am just experiencing the incision site.
thanks for writing back. i will be sure to keep taking my stool softeners and citrucel and keep eating lots of fiber and drinking lots of water
LISnewbie