Appointment update...

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Appointment update...

Postby StevePain » 04 Mar 2010, 15:00

Quick update...
Went to see CRS yesterday morning, was examined briefly with finger, I tolerated the examination but still hurt (burning feeling), was told that it was most likely to be a fissure but couldn't be sure as he didn't want to insert a camera and cause more unnecessary pain and has prescribed me Diltiazem which I have to use for 6-8 weeks, then have to go back and see him, if nothing has improved he'll put me under anaesthetic and do a proper examination, if a fissure is seen then LIS will be performed, anything else will also be repaired
So basically, it looks like things will get sorted out one way or the other, the only thing is I have to wait for the Diltiazem to be ordered as none of the pharmacies stock it as a rule, it's known as a special order item, hopefully I will have it in a couple of days though :)
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: Appointment update...

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 04 Mar 2010, 16:34

Good stuff Steve, so 2 more months at most then :) Hope the diltiazem helps until then. I forget if you already mentioned this before, but have you already tried the ointments like nifedipine and nitroglycerin? Or this is your first go with any kind of topical ointment?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 04 Mar 2010, 16:36

Steve,
Could you try meditation and visualize your fissure healing??????
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 04 Mar 2010, 16:47

Hi NG,
I was using nitro for almost a year but was told at my appointment to stop uisng it as it will be having a lesser effect over the time i've been using it, never tried nifedipine but hoping that diltiazem will help for the time being, to be honest i'm kinda hoping it doesn't do the job completely as I would like to have LIS as a more long term solution, not only that but having a proper examination under general will set my mind at ease, you know how it is, all sorts go through your mind..
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 04 Mar 2010, 16:49

Cheryl, I would love to try meditation but don't think I have the concentration to do it?
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 04 Mar 2010, 16:56

Yup I know that one goes Steve. I had a rectal exam under sedation (Versed plus Fentanyl) as well as a colonoscopy and abdomen/pelvis barium CT scan just to make sure all I had was a fissure. I've been using nitroglycerin for about half a year and the effect does decrease some over time. Good luck with the diltiazem, hopefully that either fixes things or gets you through the next 6-8 weeks!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 04 Mar 2010, 17:09

Thanks for the support NG, i'll update when I start using the diltiazem.
You get to a point though, when you just get fed up of trying different things, i've shoved more things up my a$$ than I care to remember, if the diltiazem doesn't work then i've definitely reached the end of the road and surgery is imminent (can't wait)
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 04 Mar 2010, 20:57

Steve,
Meditation and/or prayer is not complicated! Deep breathing while visualizing healing is not complicated either!! I just feel very strongly about the mind/body/spirit connectedness. Good luck!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 11 Mar 2010, 23:24

Hey Steve,
Well looks like it's you, me, diltiazem, and maybe LIS for the next 8 weeks or so :) I saw another CRS today and he confirms that I still have a pretty big fissure with sentinel piles. He thinks my back pain is referred pain from the fissure too. I've now got a prescription for diltiazem to try for a bit as a last resort, since I wasn't able to heal the fissure with nitro and nifedipine. If this doesn't work I think I'm going to go ahead with LIS too, we're probably on pretty similar time lines here :)
Good luck buddy, cheers to diltiazem and maybe ass muscle cutting in the near future Image
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 12 Mar 2010, 13:59

Hey NG, I'm counting down the days, got to give the Diltiazem chance I suppose, am trying to remain optimistic while it kicks in though!
I thought you was doing great and was healing, by your posts it seemed you was virtually fissure pain free so one would assume that things were looking good, bet you was surprised when your CRS told you the fissure was pretty big, complete with sentinel piles..
Turns out we was kind of right about that damn back/hip pain then, just shows how badly a fissure affects other muscles! It looks like we'll both be putting a lot of faith into Diltiazem over the forthcoming weeks.
Best of luck to you too buddy and thanks for the support, i'll be updating on any changes from the ointment, either way LIS will be the final solution for us both, in a strange way i'm relishing the prospect of getting LIS if all else fails :)
StevePain
King Fissure