LIS on young female

LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS on young female

Postby luna18 » 15 Jul 2018, 19:35

Hello all,

I’m new to the forum and looking for some advice. I’m a 21 year old female who’s been suffering with an anal fissure for about 7 months now. I’ve made major changes to my diet, been doing sitz baths, using stool softeners, and Rectiv (GTN) ointment, however my fissure just doesn’t seem to be healing. I’ll go a few weeks where things seem great, then out of nowhere find blood on the toilet paper and shooting pains.
LIS is something I’ve been super hesitant about being that I am so young and do want to have children someday. I’ve heard that there is an increased risk of incontinence for women who’ve had LIS during pregnancy and childbirth, so I’m scared to go through with surgery but I just feel hopeless. Do you guys think that having LIS at my age would be the wrong move?

Thank you all so much for reading this post and I appreciate any advice!
luna18
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: LIS on young female

Postby luna18 » 15 Jul 2018, 19:38

I’d also like to add that I’ve been taking miralax too! Just don’t know what more I can really do at this point, and I want my life back :(
luna18
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: LIS on young female

Postby Kay Gray » 17 Jul 2018, 12:29

I feel your pain Luna! I'm in pretty much the same boat after botox failed (I'm on rectogesic ointment while I wait for a second round of injections but I'm not optimistic). I'm yet to have kids but I raised this with my CRS in case the LIS ends up being my only option and his response was that he'd recommend a c-section if I got pregnant after having LIS because of potentially damaging an already weakened sphincter muscle. However he did say that not all doctors feel that way so your CRS might say something different. Unfortunately it seems to be a subject like fissures themselves - you hear different things from different doctors! :roll:
Kay Gray
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1