it's official: i did it! my LIS outcome

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

it's official: i did it! my LIS outcome

Postby happyass » 19 Jan 2011, 13:17

hi everyone,
i am at home now. well have been for about 45 minutes.
despite the surgery getting off to a late start - it was perfect timing as i was in the middle of praying a rosary and the CRS arrived as i was on my last five hail marys - i can happily say that everything is a success as far as the surgery goes.
it was an eye-opener when i saw what the menu for my surgery entailed:
destruction of condyloma acuminata
lateral internal sphincterotomy
excision of skin tag
such harsh words: destruction and excision....on my ass! LOL!
anyway, the team at the outpatient surgery was amazing and i was so lucky to have all women on the team.
i did have to sit and wait for the CRS to come while an IV line was already installed in my hand and blood pressure cuff on my other arm. other than that, it was a joy to see my CRS and shortly thereafter, i walked into the OR, got on the table, and the anesthesiologist - loved her - she gave me some calming goodies in my IV and then i was asked to breathe into the mask and i really don't recall her saying that it would drift me off or even give me some instruction to count backwards....it just somehow magically happened that i drifted off....
although the trip to la-la-no-mo-fissure-everland felt a bit long, the next thing was that i woke up in recovery and started to cry that it was all done! yay!!!! i was so happy.
i started to assess the feeling in my ass! and it wasn't too bad. i was actually wondering if an LIS was done. as i did have some light discomfort - similar to maybe a light throbbing headache - it was really way less than anything i could have ever imagined coming out of this thing.
so i was given some fentanyl as i waited to be released. had to also pee. it was a must.
once we got the discomfort down to like maybe a 1.5 discomfort scale, i was taken to change into my clothes. i was skeptical about how i was going to feel but it was so easy and effortless. i had to take my time as i had to becareful with the IV still set up in my left hand.
then i sat in a comfy recliner and was given some apple juice and graham crackers. yummy. those graham crackers were delicious. still no desire to pee so i asked for a second apple juice. and after that one, i was able to pee.
my friend met me there and we went to the pharmacy below in the surgery center building and got vicodin 5 mg / 500 mg of acetomenaphine with toradol 10 mg.
took taxi home with friend and she was nice to walk my dog and make me some miso soup with pureed softened white rice and wakame.
the nurse at the surgery center said to take the vicodin & toradol as prescribed - so the toradol is every 6 hours for three days starting today; and the vicodin is as needed for pain.
i am going to be cautious and took both of them to start.
as i write this, i can't believe i have had anything done down there. i don't even feel an LIS or skin tag removal.
i am weary about when i will and i really hope that it will be so manageable.
CRS was very pleased with everything and she said everything looked great down there. i was really concerned a bit at the beginning with her because she is the only one in her colon/rectal team that did not have that 'board certified for colon/rectal surgery' designation yet. but i just felt really she was the one. she was board certified for general surgery for sure. she is rather new to the CRS field - approximately within the last four or five years.
all i can say is that she did an amazing job.
here is to start of healing.
and i am not going to try to worry about the first bm too much. fingers crossed! everything else has turned out way better than what i could expected so far.
even as drugged up as i am now, i am typing wonderfully well and sitting down too!
but i won't push it as i know my ass is still heavily pain blocked.
thanks for all the good wishes everyone!
big hugs to all,
happyass
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Re: it's official: i did it! my LIS outcome

Postby Deleted User 5 » 19 Jan 2011, 13:50

WOW!!! :)
You know, that is PRETTY AMAZING!!!! Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
WAY TO GO, YOU DID IT HAPPY!!!!
Image Image Image Image
I am shocked, my arse felt like a bomb had gone off in it when I awoke! And if you recall, I couldn't pee, had to be catheterized.
ALL THOSE THINGS you did to prepare must be PAYING OFF!! Image ImageImageImageImage
I can only say that, tomorrow, you "should" be sore down there as the meds and anesthesia wear off, so expect that. Now, you know not to worry about that first BM, just stay on your diet and keep taking stool softeners (if you are)
Dang, you know the drill, why should I be giving YOU advice?!?
Man, I am SO glad you came out of this OK (so far!)
Deleted User 5

Postby StevePain » 19 Jan 2011, 14:41

WTG Happy!!!
Just keep pampering that ass and you'll be fine, and stick to a decent high fibre diet, be very careful of junk foods.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 19 Jan 2011, 14:54

Congrats on your new butt, Happy! You will be sore later but it shouldn't be nothing the pain meds can't take away.
I cried when my surgery was over too,Lol...Well I cried before and after Image

Postby sphinctersaurus » 19 Jan 2011, 15:04

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!! Image
Happy for you Happy!
Very eager to see how things go. Hoping it will be a breeze!
GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby William » 19 Jan 2011, 19:57

Awesome! Best of luck with your recovery!
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Cagirl » 19 Jan 2011, 21:38

Way to go!!!!
Here's to happier days and a speedy recovery!
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby callmecrazy » 20 Jan 2011, 00:25

Congrats Happy!!!! I am so thankful your procedure went well. From my experience, I will say if you choose between taking the toradol or the vicadin, I would take the toradol to start. It's an anti-inflammatory and definitely will take the edge off any discomfort you may have. Here's to hoping you have a relatively pain free recovery!!
Today begins the first day of the rest of your life!!
callmecrazy
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Bumbutt » 20 Jan 2011, 02:41

Can I join the congratulations party?! Image
Glad to hear your report, and that you feel good about the whole process, and that you had a friend come and make you miso soup!
Great that your ass is not feeling sad, despite the destruction and excision... but just take it really easy on your butt since the pain meds could be covering things up.
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby cherylk » 20 Jan 2011, 07:04

Happy,
Sending you warm wishes from Florida. If I could send some of this weather to you and the others, I would.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?