5 fissure-filled years...but I'm new here!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: 5 fissure-filled years...but I'm new here!

Postby Guest » 21 Jan 2011, 21:24

I know how you feel alpinestrawberry!! I was so frustrated by the time I got my surgery. I didn't have insurance and really didn't care what it took to get my appointments or the surgery. Everything else was on hold until I got my lis.
I always hated having to wait a month for any appointment I made, but I figured that was a good sign that the crs I was seeing was busy so she must be good.
Hope your fissure behaves for you while you are waiting to see the crs.

Postby alpinestrawberry » 23 Jan 2011, 12:17

No, the little b*** won't behave itself. The weird thing is the original fissure site stays healed most of the time now, but I have developed others that flare up at odd times. In other words if I don't tear in one place, some other place will. I've developed one at 6:00, with a skin tag, and I think there's a hypertrophied papillae inside too. So there's your typical fissure...but then I'll get tiny tears that seem more superficial elsewhere, they don't have any skin tags and usually will heal right up within a day or two....I doubt I have IBD, but who knows. For what it's worth I've seen other women on forums say the same thing--that they had superficial cuts all over after giving birth--I would swear that they are related to some small internal hemorrhoids that I have. Actually, something I've noticed is that my symptoms are always worse right before my period. Like if I kept a symptom diary and charted it, I bet I'd see an up/down curve that correlated with my cycle. I think the bottom line is that the sphincter is just TOO TIGHT. Hopefully I'll know more soon, I'm freaking myself out....so my fissures seem atypical but that doesn't automatically mean I'm dying, right?
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby PaulsPain » 23 Jan 2011, 13:03

I wouldn't worry to much and just take care of yourself until you see the CRS - fissure diet and sitz baths. Try to get it healing.
Having an experienced CRS looking at things will hopefully put your nerves at ease. The waiting can get old though.... I always seemed to have to wait month+ to get into my CRS also. They see fissures every day so if something looks off they should be able to tell.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Cagirl » 23 Jan 2011, 22:27

Alpinestrawberry, I can definitely comiserate too.
I have two kids: 5 and 3 and dealing with this has been horendous on all of us. My kids thought it was my back that was hurting me. I couldn't tell them of course, they'd tell the world. I too was hesitant to tell my mom, but I did need her to come help, but I'm sure she's told the world too. I did hire a sitter full time during my LIS and after surgery to drive my kids to where they needed to be and just to keep them out of my hair because we all know kids and excruciating pain just don't mix. My DH I'm sure would rather have been on another planet during all this, he did have to take time off work too. He of course really didn't/doesn't understand.
I know the running here and there just to appointments is such a huge hassle and really I think the worst part of it all. After I had my surgery appointment, I sort of did relax, I knew help was on the way. Just don't chicken out at the last minutes since you have until the 22nd! My AF was only about 8 weeks old when I had LIS (I'm about 6 or 7 weeks post op now) but I just couldn't go on. I was in such horrific pain.
All the best, I hope you find the relief you need and asap!
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby alpinestrawberry » 23 Jan 2011, 22:36

Thanks cagirl. Don't worry, I won't chicken out. Once I'm determined to fix a situation, I follow through, the hard part was overcoming my inertia just to schedule the appointment. I'm trying not to dwell too much on the difficulties that lie ahead. I told my husband tonight that I want the surgery done by spring, so I can enjoy my summer. And once this is resolved I'm going to buy myself the most expensive bottle of Scotch available, and kick it on the porch swing with a stack of books from the library...ah summer....and the joys of being a stay at home mom. Not that I drink and neglect my kids. Not ALL day anyway.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby alpinestrawberry » 23 Jan 2011, 22:52

Oh, and I've wondered what to tell the kids about the surgery, too. We're usually pretty honest with them; when my husband got his vasectomy and had to lay around with a bag of peas on his crotch we eventually just told them the truth, but the older two are 8 and 10 years old and we thought they could handle it. I like the backache idea though...initially I thought I might tell them that the youngest hurt me when she was being born, and now it needs to be fixed. But I don't want to make them scared of having babies of their own. I feel bad for them, they were really upset when I had the sinus surgery. I know I looked out of it and my nose was pouring blood--they all started crying when they saw me. Hopefully I don't put them through all that again.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby callmecrazy » 25 Jan 2011, 10:34

Hello Alpine! I'm sorry it took me this long to find your need for support! I too was in your shoes just a few short weeks ago.
I am now just over 10 days post-op from LIS and Anoplasty surgery. I had the EXACT same problems as you are experiencing - one or two large fissures with skin tags and internal papillae, several smaller ones wreaking havoc in other areas, and my sphincter was experiencing extreme stenosis (too tight).
My CRS suggested the Anoplasty along with the LIS to help mostly with the stenosis (it adds a little extra skin) in addition to helping by replacing the chronically bad tissue with good. I will say, that with all the frustrating stuff that has accompanied my recovery, my sphincter is sooooooo much less tight. I don't have leakage anymore, I have complete control, and BMs are a breeze to get out. Before, as soon as a BM would start my body would go into shock and my sphincter would just shut down and close up tighter than a bank vault on a national holiday. It would pinch off whatever was coming out and I'd have to just wait until I calmed down to try again. Now, when I feel the urge to go, I just go. It's like years ago before my fissure. Quite lovely really (Thanks for inadvertently reminding me of one of the positives of my surgery, btw...).
If your surgeon suggest LIS with Anoplasty, feel free to read my experience in the general forum (I can link it later when I'm not on my phone). I have also kept a blog of my experience at an external site if you click the 'www' button under my user name.
I really hope you are able to find comfort that you are among wonderful people here. They are all so helpful, and as a newbie myself, I will do all I can to help too. Best of luck to you for your upcoming appointment. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
callmecrazy
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby alpinestrawberry » 25 Jan 2011, 12:44

WOW callmecrazy--our problems DO seem similar! I so know what you mean about the bank vault thing. Even the nitro ointment won't relax me enough...I've given up on it. The wheatgrass cream is somewhat helpful, at least it's soothing and helps heal the smaller tears. At this point I'm still hopeful that I can get away with just LIS, but if the surgeon says I need anoplasty, so be it. Whatever gives me the best shot at a normal life again. Image
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby alpinestrawberry » 25 Jan 2011, 12:57

Oh and callmecrazy, I also wanted to say--isn't it strange how some people deal with a chronic fissure for years without having the situation totally deteriorate into a mess, and then there's people like us? I started out with only one fissure. Your avatar is quite apt. ONE episode of wiping too much (had the stomach flu and my fissure was quiet at the time) and the next day, I discovered I had given my fissure some new friends. That was a little over a year ago, and I've been through hell ever since. Well anyway, I think you did the right thing with the aggressive surgery. It would be very depressing to do just the LIS and have it not work, and then have to go back again and have more stuff done. Happy healing!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist