Trying something new ... Movicol!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Trying something new ... Movicol!

Postby ewan » 27 Jan 2011, 09:45

After reading all the positive posts on here about Movicol, and finding that lactulose wasn't working for me, i went back to my doctor yesterday and changed to Movicol. Image
Any tips for me starting out on Movicol? It certainly doesn't taste as good as the lactulose! Image
ewan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Trying something new ... Movicol!

Postby Guest » 27 Jan 2011, 10:12

Hey ewan,
I take the capful 17gs. The dose in the US seems to differ from others. I think the dose is less in the UK than here.
You could start with whatever the recommended dose is and take away or add more depending on how it works for you.
Some put it in there juice to mask the taste. I just put it in about 8 oz's of water.

Postby cherylk » 27 Jan 2011, 12:34

Ewan,
I would start taking the Movicol at bedtime; my GI doc told me to start taking it every morning. Good luck!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 27 Jan 2011, 15:05

In the UK it comes in 13.5g sachets to be mixed with ј pint of water, start off with just the one sachet and take additional if required
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby ewan » 27 Jan 2011, 15:42

Cheers for your advice! I'll let you know how i get on.
StevePain wrote:In the UK it comes in 13.5g sachets to be mixed with ј pint of water, start off with just the one sachet and take additional if required

Yeah, thats what i got. Been told to take 2 a day (morning and night), so i guess i better just jump in with the doc's advice first.
ewan
Fibre Addict

Postby StevePain » 28 Jan 2011, 03:43

Yeah I'd go with that ewan but only if you're constipated, Movicol is very good at getting things moving, if you don't really suffer from constipation then only use 1 sachet
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Bumbutt » 28 Jan 2011, 03:51

I use 3/4 of a sachet. I started out with 1/2 which didn't do the trick. A whole sachet sends me to the bathroom 2 or 3 times a day. 3/4 is just right. I think I should name my butt "Goldilocks".
Are you taking anything else ewan, like a fiber-gel?
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby ewan » 28 Jan 2011, 04:36

Nah, i'm not constipated, only ever had 3 times in my lift and thats after each operation in the last 8 months.
I've been using 1 sachet of Movicol in the morning and 1 at night and guess what ... my first pain free BM in MONTHS!! Image A tiny bit of burning afterwards, but nothing on what i've been suffering! Trying not to get my hopes up too much, but very excited!
Still using a little lactulose (10ml after breakfast and after tea) and 1 actimel yoghurt. Also started taking a glass of prune juice at lunchtime, can't believe its taken me this long to start on the prune juice.
TIP: put some blackcurrent diluting juice in with your Movicol, tastes 10x better!
ewan
Fibre Addict

Postby ewan » 07 Mar 2011, 19:20

So its been over 5 weeks since i last posted on here and not had any pain since! After starting on Movicol, i was back to work within days amd I'm actually totally back to normal at the moment (but still on meds).
I started with 2 sachets of movicol a day (morning and night) and quickly cut down to 1/2 sachet in morning and 1 at night. Now i'm down to just 1 sachet early evening and i find thats just right!
I can't thank you all enough as if it wasn't for this site, i never would have found movicol!
ewan
Fibre Addict

Postby of all the places to hurt » 17 Aug 2011, 12:22

I have found that 1 satchet of movicol in the morning and half a teaspoon of Mom (Milk of Magnesia) at night is really helping me to have soft bms. It is though all trial and error :-( as our bodies are different
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14