Does anyone else suffer from IBS?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Does anyone else suffer from IBS?

Postby Bobcat » 03 Feb 2011, 00:24

I knew the minute I saw the diet changes that it would only be a matter of time before I ended up in trouble.
I'm allergic to raw fruit and fruit juices. Something to do with the natural preservatives. So that's out of the question.
I can only tolerate so much veg and fibre before my IBS kicks in and I end up with a swollen stomach on the right (once they thought my appendix had burst, only to find it wasn't in the right place Image )
So, now I'm in pain with the fissure (or rather, still convinced it's the skin tag), and now have crippling IBS pains and a build up of trapped wind, which as you know, can be just as painful as a hard BM on the way out!
I'm really not sure what I can do to put this right! I'm so restricted as to what I can eat.......this is depressing as hell!
Any advice? I know one of you lovely lot must have some words of wisdom! :)
Bobcat
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Does anyone else suffer from IBS?

Postby StevePain » 03 Feb 2011, 04:41

Ask your GP for Fybogel Mebeverine, it's for IBS and other bowel disorders, I've been taking it for a few months now and it definitely keeps the cramping pains at bay plus helps with stools
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 03 Feb 2011, 10:01

Hey Bobcat,
I think Cherylk has IBS...
I can see how this is depressing for you. Gas with a fissure is unbearable. I wish I had some really good advice. I'm racking my brain here... Have you tried any soups, maybe probiotic yogurt? I used the soy milk when I had the fissure.
Do you think you may be getting too much fiber? Maybe you could try to get around 20 grams or maybe that doesn't help? I ate the bare minimum of fiber and my stool softener with my fissure. They have some breakfast cookies (quaker oatmeal) that were soft and had around 6 grams of fiber. If I would have ate too many of the wrong veg or fruits, they would have tore my stomach up. I tried to eat a small variety and just get enough fiber. Beans, pea soup, etc... cause lots of gas but small amounts will give you tons of fiber.
I tried gas -x pills. They helped some. Some times a warm bath will help with releasing the gas and I know this is going to sound really weird, but there was a way that I would set leaned back on my lower back w/ my legs bent in front of me... It seemed like it would relax my butt so gas could be released. I know this sounds lame but I thought I'd share - just in case it may work for you :oops: :oops: :oops:
Are you considering lis? I hope you don't need it but just wanted to say it really did give me my life back. I just hate to see people suffering :(
Hope you feel better soon.

Postby Bobcat » 03 Feb 2011, 10:11

Hi Dawn, thanks for that!
Yeah, I think it may be a case of too much fibre........the diet restrictions are so bad though! I think part of my problem is that I have had a minor re-tear, and so the muscle is really tight once again. I think you're right, more baths!
I would have LIS in a heartbeat! Problem I have is that I have had this since early November, was diagnosed just in the New Year, and my next appointment with the CRS isn't until April 22nd! Image I am trying to push for an earlier appointment.........watch this space!
Bobcat
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 03 Feb 2011, 11:32

Hey,
that's good to see you are willing to have the surgery. It's so hard to try and convince people that it really isn't that bad and is so worth the results. I think so many people freak out because they don't know what to expect from the surgery but I think when you are aware and educated -like this board does, then it's not such a shock.
No, it's most likely not going to be a three day recovery but it's going to be the best shot at healing and so worth it!!
I hope you are able to get your appointment moved up and get some relief or stay as comfortable as you can until then :)
I pray you can get LIS soon and hopefully get rid of the skin tag! And yes unfortunately the baths are the best thing for the fissure and the tag. That was the only way I kept things under control- a little. Nothing else really worked as well.
I will be keeping an eye on your postings and hopefully soon will see you posting "LIS gave you your Life back!!! Image
I'm thinking it's time for me to move on from the forum pretty soon but I just want to see the outcomes for so many that are here.... You, Steve, Bumbutt, Paul, Sphinctersaurus, NG (wherever he is). It's so hard to leave without knowing.... So many good people on here who helped me through one of the most depressing and scariest things of my life.

Postby Bobcat » 03 Feb 2011, 13:28

Thanks Dawn! I know everyone says it, but this forum is worth a million! Everyone is so helpful, and knowing they're probably going/gone through the same as you really helps. It's nice to actually speak to real people who have actually experienced it!
So how long is it since your surgery? Have you had any problems since?
Bobcat
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 03 Feb 2011, 14:48

BC,
My surgery was in October of last year... I haven't had any problems whatsoever since. The first week I had some spasms and that scared the mess out of me. I thought the surgery didn't work. I called my crs, they called in valium and said it wasn't uncommon at all to have some spasms after surgery. The valium stopped them immediately and everything has been up-hill since.
Honestly it's been pretty uneventful. I haven't really had any set backs that people mention. I haven't seen blood since the first week of LIS. I had some swelling where the skin tag was removed and flipped out because I thought another tag had formed but it went away soon after and never got too big.
I've kept a pretty strict diet since the surgery and stayed on the miralax. I'm planning to keep it up for 3 more months and then taper off of the stool softener and add some riskier foods back in but will always keep a high fiber diet.

Postby Bumbutt » 04 Feb 2011, 02:59

I was just thinking Bobcat - someone recently posted some fissure information from an IBS forum. If I see that link again, I'll post it. But maybe that's an idea, to just have a look at that forum (but come back here!!) Image
Hope you can get your appointment moved up - I'll encourage you to call them... I just called a 2nd time, and finally was given the secret phone number to just make the appointment. If the UK's health system is like Sweden's, you have to be persistent and push for yourself.
Dawn, you are such a sweetie for helping us all out and caring. Just think about how your voice and posts and experiences are permanently here on this forum. We can look back through everyone's posts and hear all of your voices. Of course it is nice when the voices of experience are right around, but there is a time when people "graduate" from this forum I guess. We all want to get better so that we can "get our life back"!! So when each of us does that, then a great goal is met! Anyway... I hope you know what I mean! Image Image
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby sphinctersaurus » 04 Feb 2011, 04:46

Bobcat,
Hey, sorry to see your in so much pain. I hope you can get an appointment sooner. April must seem like an eternity! I sympathize with your public health system problems. I was denied treatment all together. It's just horrible that you have to wait that long. Image
I'm so frustrated that I signed up for private health insurance today ... Something that shouldn't be necessary when you pay for it with your taxes as well. It won't help me with the AF of course, but I just can't have this sort of thing happen again.
Dawn, you will hopefully get to see me have some resolution. I had some family members, who are aware of my 'situation' offer to pitch in and loan me the $$ to pay for my op. It's scheduled for the 15th of Feb so I'll be posting on the surgery forum soon.
Bobcat, I'll be having the same op you'll be getting so I'll post in detail ... graphic detail, I promise!
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby StevePain » 05 Feb 2011, 04:03

UK, NHS waiting times/lists are ridiculous, I waited 5 months just to see my first CRS then I saw a further 3 CRS's over the course of a year and a half then finally I was scheduled for LIS but had to wait another 5 months to get it, it had been cancelled 4 times previously b/c of more urgent cases.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45