Hi, I too am thankful for polyethylene glycol!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hi, I too am thankful for polyethylene glycol!

Postby seili » 18 Feb 2011, 17:58

Hi,
My name is Seili and I'm 32. My anal fissures stared about 5 years ago; seemed to be because of hard stools. Before that time, I never had a problem with constipation, in fact, I was usually the opposite. For a couple of years, the fissures were very sporadic, though....usually only happening every 9 months or so. But when it happened...it was bad! I'd be in bed for days, scared and sore.
Then I had to have a c-section over 2 years ago and a couple of months after that my fissure problem became regular. It was a daily struggle. I don't know if it had anything to do with the c-section or not. I already had the problem, but maybe it made it worse...maybe I have adhesions from my c-section. I don't know. None of the doctors have ever suggested it.
They did suggest Miralax, though, and that has been a life-saver. I use the generic, but if I start to lapse on my doses or I don't get enough fluids, the problem comes back a bit. Many days I have to take two doses. I have been doing this on and off for about a year. I have tried so many other things and nothing has worked except for the polyethylene glycol. Sometimes I try to ease off of it, but it scares me that the problem just keeps coming back.
I have two questions:
Has anyone been told that they have to use the polyethylene glycol for the rest of their lives? And if so, why? Why can't this be fixed? I am so thankful for the stuff, but it is a little sobering to think of using it forever.
Secondly, since it's an OTC...it's easy to get (well, actually the cheaper versions are often quickly off the shelf...must be an epidemic!), but the continual expense is a little worrisome. Does anyone know of any insurances or programs that help cover the continuing cost for this chronic problem?
Thank you so much for any information!
seili
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Hi, I too am thankful for polyethylene glycol!

Postby cherylk » 19 Feb 2011, 06:28

seili wrote:Hi,
I have two questions:
Has anyone been told that they have to use the polyethylene glycol for the rest of their lives? And if so, why? Why can't this be fixed? I am so thankful for the stuff, but it is a little sobering to think of using it forever.
Secondly, since it's an OTC...it's easy to get (well, actually the cheaper versions are often quickly off the shelf...must be an epidemic!), but the continual expense is a little worrisome. Does anyone know of any insurances or programs that help cover the continuing cost for this chronic problem?
Thank you so much for any information!

All of my doctors have assured me that this substance is fine to take long term. It is not absorbed into the bloodstream and merely assists the colon in retaining water. Some people (like me) have chronic constipation and need to continue to take it and adjust the dose as necessary. As you indicated, the generic forms are much cheaper. I doubt if any insurance would pay for it since it is now OTC.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby alpinestrawberry » 21 Feb 2011, 14:49

Well, when our pediatrician prescribed Miralax to my daughter, I took the prescription to the pharmacy counter and had them fill it...insurance did cover it since I had the prescription and it was cheaper to do it this way than to just buy it OTC. This was just a year ago...I don't know if anything has changed other than flex spending...I'm sure with a doctor's note you could at least use flex money to help buy it, if you can't get your insurance to cover it.
Have you inquired about surgery at all?
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 21 Feb 2011, 16:57

Hey Seili,
I'm 32 as well and used to have diarrhea or just loose stools frequently. Since I've had my fissure, I've had to take Miralax every day to achieve soft stools. Weird how that works, isn't it? Anyway, it's been close to 2 years for me and Miralax, and I don't think I'll ever stop it.
Every doctor I've spoken with and every piece of medical literature I can scrape up (I have a subscription to uptodate.com and spend an inordinate amount of time browsing there) suggests that Miralax should be safe for long term use. As Cheryl says, there's no systemic absorption of Miralax at all and it's basically a completely inert substance that passes through the colon without doing much else along the way. The only thing is, it will suck up water so you need to be careful if you have any condition (e.g., kidney disease, heart problems, etc.) where the amount of water in the body makes a difference.
The truth is, though, that while long term use should be okay, no real long term clinical studies have actually been done. So it's all extrapolation and speculation until someone actually does a study for years and decades, and that just isn't likely to happen... If it makes you feel any better, though, you'd at least have good company in the "Miralax 4 Life" club :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45