Post LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Post LIS

Postby Elphie » 04 May 2011, 14:39

Me too! I hope it continues to go so well, I hope you find your solution soon, hope, I just can't understand why the thought of it is so scary! From the other side of it, it seems to me that it is a simple solution for a common problem. If you cut your thumb bad, they fix it, if it's deep sometimes u need surgery... They don't send you home with a tube of polysporin and hope it'll heal, they stitch it up! I really can't believe the suffering we endure from what is, essentially a little cut! Sorry, I find myself ranting again but sometimes I gotta say this stuff, my poor husband will be so glad when my ass rants stop! Hope you are having a good butt day, all!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Deleted User 579 » 04 May 2011, 15:12

you go, girl! It really makes my day when I come onto this site and read that you and the others are doing well.
It really does seem like quite a simple solution. I guess what makes it so scary is the complications ... but, chronic fissures can have complications too, including incontinence, infection, fistulas and so on. So, there ya go. Why not go for a solution that may have complications rather than keep the problem that will also eventually have complications?
That's my thinking anyway :D
Deleted User 579

Postby ss616 » 08 May 2011, 11:39

This past Friday (5/6) was the two week mark, today is Day 16. (and the 1 month anniversary of me joining this forum!)
Happy to report that I'm healing... I feel the AF must be healing as the "drainage" continues to lessen and it's definitely now more brown than pink. The mucus has also disappeared.
The LIS surgery seems to have been a godsend and my CRS a magician.
I still take Magnesium daily plus 1.5 - 2 tablespoons of Miralax (about half the dosage cap) to keep things nice and soft. I'm eating a normal diet with veggies but definitely am not going overboard on the Fiber. I believe if I upped the fiber supplements, I could probably stop Miralax right now. I'm going to give it another 5 days when my 3 week post-op is with the CRS to make that decision.
Be brave to all who are considering LIS and get it done if you're in horrible pain for more than a few weeks. Those who have done LIS, continue to heal and live life.
ss616
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby mbpaul » 08 May 2011, 16:23

One week after LIS and I believe I am making good progress. Having regular BM each day and they are all pain free. Having a little issue with gas/rumbling in my stomach or intestines. CRS suggest that I take Gas X or generic equivalent. Maybe when I resume eating like normal folks this will disappear. I am having no pain, and drainage from my butt is negligible. My diet still consist of water, fruit juice, vegetable soups etc. Still scared of eating meat or anything solid. Pain associated with AF took such a central place in my life that even now I am still somewhat scare of going to the bathroom. I guess I now have to focus on getting out of my pre-LIS gloom and fully embrace life after LIS. God bless you all.
mbpaul
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Savaici » 08 May 2011, 17:29

So happy to hear stories of those who have LIS and how their life changes. I am still hoping that Nifedipine will be the answer for me, and giving it time.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Elphie » 08 May 2011, 18:59

It is miraculous! Only 11 days ago I couldn't even imagine life without AF pain! Now, it's almost like it never happened! Only I'll NEVER forget! I'm glad we're on the road to healing.
Savaici, I think in the beginning I was getting relief with nifedipine, the problem I think now was I would still have bad BMs often enough that any healing was constantly retearing and bleeding and over time it lost it's effectiveness with me. I wish I had known about this forum back then, I would've known about miralax, which changed everything for me. I hope it works for you but if not, don't be afraid of surgery, even the worst days were better than fissure pain! Everyone is amazed that I'm so well, so soon, but life without the burn lifts those dark clouds. Like Paul I still have those days like yesterday, when I'm afraid I'll step out of line and go right back but I think, with time, those days will become fewer and farther between and hopefully, someday, disappear. I wish that for us all. Thanks for being there every day since I found you!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby ss616 » 13 May 2011, 10:52

Day 21 post LIS and CRS appointment for post-op.
Well the CRS said that the wound is fine and the AF was healing BUT he noticed scar tissue and performed chemical cauterization using silver nitrate. This did slightly burn but he said this will help remove the scar tissue and allow the fissure to heal with fresh skin over the next few weeks.
I'm a little frustrated to be honest as until this appointment, I had no blood for the last 14 or so days, just slight discharge (brown) and now it seems I'm back to healing the fissure. What also bothers me is that he said "there might be some blood so don't get too worried." The CRSs out there need to know that when you have an AF, blood = worry.
So overall, kind of disappointed at today's appointment as I feel i'm being pushed back a week or two in healing all over again.
Either way, feeling much better right now (1 hour after appointment). We'll see how the BM tomorrow is......
ss616
Salt Bather

Postby ss616 » 14 May 2011, 09:45

Day 22, post LIS and post chemical cauterization
As I had guessed, the silver nitrate cauterization the CRS did yesterday left me with fresh bright red blood after the BM. It's so frustrating to have a fresh fissure once again!
Here's to healing!!
ss616
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 14 May 2011, 09:58

SS - I'm so sorry that you had to go through that! I can certainly understand your frustration. I'm only four days post-LIS and I'm so sick of being in pain all I want is to feel normal again! Hang in there! Hopefully, this has only set you back a week or two - that sucks, but it's a whole lot better than facing the possibility that the scar tissue would prevent healing over a much longer period. Staying positive is easier said than done, I know, but I'm really sure that from this point on, you heal quickly and completely.
Deleted User 579

Postby frustrated » 14 May 2011, 15:36

SS- I understand your frustration too. My fissure feels like it's healing but, 3 weeks post op my skin tag removal spot is still hurting. Still fearful of the AM BM and sore for hours afterwards.
I wanted to be so much better at this point...but what can ya do? I am seeing some improvement and it's different than the fissure pain so I am trying to be optimistic.
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8