Post LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Post LIS

Postby Bambi » 27 Apr 2011, 15:41

ss and frustrated- sounds like you are doing very well. What you describe sounds very familiar to me. I didn't have a lot of blood after about the third day, but I know others on here have had it last longer. I am pretty sure mine was from the incision site . And the feelings you described sounded pretty much like what I experienced. I am at week 10 post LIS and I realized today that I haven't felt the incision site at all in about 10 days. And even then, it was just a pinch/twinge, gee what was that kind of little thing. Sounds like you are taking good care of yourself. Try to keep yourself in check and give in to resting. It is hard if you are not used to being on the couch, but because of others on here I followed their lead and I think it helped my recovery.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby ss616 » 29 Apr 2011, 11:18

At the CRS office waiting to be called. Just an update, this morning had a normal (soft) BM that ended with a LOT of blood. Dripping into the toilet level.
Just hoping to find out if this is a stitch that dissolved or something else. The incision site feels sore from what I can tell. Will let you know what the doc finds shortly!
ss616
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby frustrated » 29 Apr 2011, 12:23

SS...hope your appt. ended as positively as possible. Thanks for keeping us updated.
I am having a bit more soreness today than yesterday which is a bummer. It is not a straight line of healing though is it?
I was wondering about the possibility of stitches dissolving too soon, since we are taking so many baths.
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby ss616 » 29 Apr 2011, 13:36

Okay folks - the doc said the bleeding is from my friend the fissure! He said the incision site is healing as is the fissure but it's still in the "near raw" stage as he did do the fissure cauterizing which left me with a fresh raw fissure to heal. The good news is that the fissure itself doesn't hurt nor does the BM really, just had a ton of blood this morning.
Lesson learned: let the damn fissure heal, take it easy as much as possible, continue with the diet and stool softener and give it TIME!!!!!
I have to tell you though, just seeing the doctor and him being reassuring like this is worth its weight in gold.
ss616
Salt Bather

Postby rockpine » 01 May 2011, 14:17

Good luck, SS and frustrated, with your recovery. You're right--time is key and relax into it and give into rest I am on day five of my recovery from LIS and removing a fistula and hemherroid.
I've been having non-voluntary spasms down there every so often. That's the aspect that hurts more than the site itself.
I have stitches too. Are all stitches with this surgery dissolvable?
rockpine
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby ss616 » 03 May 2011, 13:01

Day 11 post-LIS
BMs are not painful neither do I have pain all day. Once in a while I'll get a "zinger". I do have continued mucus/drainage that is either just brown (more drainage) or it's pinkish brown which is more mucus. It seems that it's coming from the AF and tends to happen during the day (overnight it doesn't?).
My stitches are still there - don't think they've dissolved... based on what I'm seeing, they look like they could be there for months!
I'd say I'm at 80%... I say that because the pain is gone - during and after BMs. The 20% is the hardest and longest to close but that's when my AF will be completely healed! I'm expecting that to be weeks if not months. I did take a look at the AF yesterday and it's still a red AF that is in the healing process... definitely not healed.
Here's to recovery!
ss616
Salt Bather

Postby Elphie » 03 May 2011, 20:33

It is tempting to get right back to it as soon as you feel better, before LIS, if I was having a good butt day, I would rush around trying to do stuff that was usually too painful, which would then cause pain but with AF, you learn not to be fooled by one good day, it's usually a fluke! Now, when I find myself tempted to weed that flower bed or clean out the closet that's been waiting since fall, I try to remember the BURN ( which was only 6 days ago!) and sit down instead. Nothing is worth going back...
Smiling for u!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby alpinestrawberry » 04 May 2011, 07:32

Don't weed yet Elphie! It won't make the burn come back but it will probably irritate your incision, that's how it worked for me anyway.
But 6 weeks out now, I can garden again, heck I can even squat without pain. You'll get there soon enough!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Elphie » 04 May 2011, 12:15

Oh I can't wait to garden! At least now it's in my sights, this time last week I didn't even have gardening remotely in my mind, it seemed impossible! To think, I might have curry again... I love this feeling, I really do :)
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Deleted User 579 » 04 May 2011, 14:10

wow everybody - so many people recovering so well ... what an inspiration! I'm so happy for you guys!
Elphie - listen to Alpine and don't do too much there, girl! Take SS's advice too and "let the damn thing heal". You've got a lifetime to garden and eat curry :D I'm so happy you are feeling so good.
Deleted User 579