Post LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Post LIS

Postby ss616 » 25 Apr 2011, 10:56

Well day three is quite eventful already...
Had 2 large (in volume) BMs this morning, still soft. The good new is that the blood from yesterday is substantially reduced to a little bit of pink dots. The only downside is that these two large BMs have left me a little sore but seems the soreness is coming from the incision site, not anywhere else. It's kinda weird feeling to be honest. It has an occasional twitch pain almost seeming like a spasm but is different. LISers, did u experience this?
ss616
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby TheBoognish » 25 Apr 2011, 14:10

It sounds like everything is going well. I felt the sensations that you are experiencing...soreness for the first 4-5 days after BMs, then pressure , then it became an itch, and then in turned into a pinch/itch combination, and then back to an itch again. Now I just feel normal.
Try taking a sitz bath after using the bathroom. I did that for the first week (mostly out of fear of pain) but it seemed to relieve everything . I only took one a day and then I was fine. Also, try not to move around too much and get lots of rest, even if you feel fine.
You're going to experience lots of strange feelings down there so try to take in all in stride (easier said than done, right?). Remember, it takes about 2-4 weeks for the fissure to heal after LIS. I'm officially 4 weeks post LIS today and I'm definitely 100% better.
TheBoognish
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 579 » 25 Apr 2011, 17:02

Hey SS - I'm not an LISer, but it sure sounds to me like your recovery is pretty much ideal so far (based on stories posted on this forum - many describe incision site pain/tenderness for a while). Don't forget to take things very easy and take extra good care of yourself!
Deleted User 579

Postby ss616 » 25 Apr 2011, 17:42

Boognish: Thanks, your message helped give me some confidence. It definitely feels like I'm on the path to recovery. The post BM soreness went away after an hour or so after the dual BMs. Rest of the day has been okay, haven't had much blood today either. I'm going to try to stick to 3x Sitz baths daily, I do one after BM in the morning plus 1 in afternoon and 1 before bed.
I'm just a crappy patient as I don't want to be bed ridden for few weeks even though I know I need to... my pain pre-LIS was so much greater, this is miles ahead better now.
I'm resting a lot, basically on the couch most of the day, walk around a little and walk outside a bit (just in my PJs, few laps around the backyard) to get some blood moving. Spending nice 9+ hours in sleep every night.
I think my diet has been key and I'm trying to continue it to the T as much as possible for the next few weeks. I have to start traveling in 4 weeks so I hope just like you Boognish that I will feel 100% better.
Here's to healing for everyone! (raising my glass of water)
ss616
Salt Bather

Postby ss616 » 25 Apr 2011, 18:48

Okay so I had no idea that while I typed that message above, I was leaking blood. For me the blood is annoying but the ironic thing is that the blood isn't during BM rather in the middle of the day when I am lying around or walking around the house. I am wearing a maxi-pad daily and today I had a pad that def had blood soaked in it. It seems my blood comes with passing gas or when I have sneezed hard... Go figure!
There is no pain but just blood through the day which baffles me
ss616
Salt Bather

Postby ss616 » 25 Apr 2011, 22:59

Last report for the day, I think post LIS I need to tweak my Miralax dosage. During the peak of taking Percocet, I was doing 2x Miralax dosages to prevent constipation. Well since then, last two days I've dropped down to half cap (2 tsp) Miralax and I am still have too many BMs. I just had one tonight and I'm usually a morning person and they are huge in volume...
There is slight pain/discomfort but that's a combination in my opinion between fissure soreness (not glass pain) and the incision site straining during BM.
Sorry for the TMI but hoping someone would want to know the details of recovery... Image
Going back to thinking "week at a time, not day at a time"... ugh!!
ss616
Salt Bather

Postby frustrated » 26 Apr 2011, 16:30

35 hours post LIS for me...and I had my first BM. It was not too bad even though I was scared and probably tightening up a bit.
I am very uncomfortable but the pain is bearable. I've passed on the percocets and am just taking 800 mg Ibuprofen right now. I am too afraid of constipation to take the percs.
SS...when i was in the middle of my 8 month ordeal I was eating too much fiber and having giant BMs 2-3 times a day. I was probably eating 40- 50 grams of fiber a day. Two people on this site mentioned that was maybe too much and maybe I should eat more protein (I was veganing it back then). I mellowed out on the whole grains, kept eating fruits and veggies and added more chicken, eggs and even some beef. I started going back to one BM a day. I am not sure what you are eating and I've learned that everyone responds differently to their diet, that said take this info for what it is...what worked for me.
There definately is a different feeling now down there than before LIS.
It's hard to get comfortable even lying in bed...but I am hopeful that each day may be a bit better.
Take it easy....
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby ss616 » 26 Apr 2011, 20:07

Congrats frustrated!! Guess what? It gets better daily!
Today I had only little bit of spotting blood (pink) but no major bleeding epsiode. I event went out for car rides today.. Climbed a bunch of stairs, etc.
Regarding diet, I do have a heavy vegan diet. But can't change that as I am vegeterian and have been my whole life. I think I just need to up my dairy again.
On ward to full recovery !!
ss616
Salt Bather

Postby ss616 » 27 Apr 2011, 13:11

Day 5
Mostly uneventful - had a BM this morning where there is some pain but I can't tell if it's the incision site or fissure site. The pain feels like pre spasm pain but the spasms don't ever come.
The major blood is gone, replaced by what I can only call pinkish discharge that is a bit slimy. I feel this is coming from the incision site can't be sure though.
I am going for a 7 day post op on friday even tho doc wanted 14 days. I just want to make sure stuff is headed in right direction!
ss616
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 27 Apr 2011, 14:57

SS - thanks for the updates and detailed information. This record is very usesful for those of us who are (or might be) facing surgery ourselves. It sounds like your recovery is going very well. I really hope to be where you are in the healing process soon myself.
Deleted User 579