Post LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Post LIS

Postby MattMecham » 15 May 2011, 00:31

SS, I'll tell you what I have told others -- get yourself a tube of Dr. Wheatgrass Skin Recovery Cream, and just put a little on the end of a Qtip, and then stick just the bud of the Qtip up your wazoo, and then throw the Qtip away (one person asked me if you just leave the Qtip up there -- NO!). Anyway, the cream has worked wonders for me when my fissure would bleed before I had my LIS surgery back on March 30th. I didn't have any bleeding issues after my LIS surgery, but I still used the cream twice a day to help speed up the healing process. Good luck to you, brother! Post LIS life is truly grand.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby frustrated » 21 May 2011, 16:18

SS...how are you doing? It's been awhile since your last update. I hope that is a good sign.
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Elphie » 21 May 2011, 19:04

Yes, hopefully it's because you're out there enjoying life!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby ss616 » 30 May 2011, 23:42

6 weeks post LIS update
Hi Everyone, sorry it's been so long since I had an update! Well after the 3 week cauterization, I did have a week of bleeding and healing of the AF. The good news is that it was only blood, little or no pain! That too went away by week 4 or so.
Now I sit here in week 6 and I can tell you all that I am 98% back to normal. Life before AFs ever seemed to exist! I do not take this new life for granted mind you, I'm eating healthy, continuing fiber supplements (big tablespoon if Benefiber before bed is my absolute minimum). I try to supplement a healthy diet with a Fiber 1 granola bar or a GNU Foods Flavor & Fiber bar -- the latter being excellent. I've started eating normal again, including things with cheese and dairy - had paneer tikka (Indian food) just last night without problems. I also continue to drink a ton of water... I also have gotten back into visiting the gym, I'm not doing intense weights just because I'm scared I'll tear something but doing light weight lifting (enough to leave me sore) and cardio. During my whole ordeal I lost 15 lbs or so... lightest I've been in 10 years, but some of that is coming back as I start to enjoy chocolate, candy, chips & salsa, etc. Again, I'm trying my best to keep it all balanced with a healthy meal of veggies, beans, legumes, whole wheat breads and h20!
Oh one more thing, by week 3 I had completely stopped Miralax. I went from a max of full capful right after surgery (to counteract drugs) down to half a teaspoon 3 weeks after. Week 4-5 I stuck with taking Magnesium supplements (Ionic Fizz or Chelated Mag tablets). As of week 6 that I just finished, I'm not really taking magnesium (just as a precaution based on diet choice that night/day). Lastly, in the last week, I've had a tequila shot followed by a glass of scotch, separately had 2-3 beers in a night and a night of 2 glasses of wine... knock on wood, no major issues! I still have kept off the coffee which i'm slightly and slowly reintroducing in the form of a small espresso shot in the morning.
So all in all, I must say I'm much better, still don't feel a 100% -- doubt I ever will but I'm pretty close.
Elphie, frustrated, MattMecham, hopetoheal... I do miss all of you but you're right, feeling better I've moved on to enjoy to the world a little more.... back to traveling for work, etc. Even my work travel is not the same as I have started taking fiber powder with me, I slip a packet of benefiber into water bottles whenever I'm traveling, etc. Pop a magnesium pill or two when I foresee a heavy meal.
There is hope and I have what I hope turns out to be a final CRS post-op post-cauterization appointment on June 9, which will put me at roughly 2 or months post-LIS.
Wish you all the best, speedy recovery and happiness once again.
ss616
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby sidra1968 » 31 May 2011, 07:52

Great news ss! (Lifts tequila shot..) lol
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 31 May 2011, 11:23

I'm so happy for you SS! 98% about two months out is really great! I'm sure you're going to be 100% very soon. Thanks for the update - it really helps to know there is a good life after a fissure.
I know you'll take it the right way whan I say that I'm glad you're not around so much :D We miss you, but it's better knowing that you are out in the world having a great life. I hope that when you are here, it's to tell us that you're having a lot of fun!
Deleted User 579

Postby Elphie » 31 May 2011, 20:48

I'm happy for you too! I too have been working in the garden, tromping thru swamps and forests, this Saturday Im planning to have a few margaritas on the deck, I'll be thinking of you and your tequila too! Here's to healing! Image
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby ss616 » 10 Jun 2011, 11:15

Hi Folks - it's been 2.5 months or so after LIS.
I had cauterziation half way through this period and just yesterday in my post-op, the doc did a "small little" dot of cauterization on a small swelling he saw. Again, this gave me a little bit of blood after the BM this morning but if it goes like last time, in a few days it will be gone. No pain.
The good news is that the doc said now, I don't need to come see him, that area should be on it's way to full healing and in tip top shape.
Hope everyone is doing well. Just wanted to share this tidbit that my CRS takes very much the "perfectionist" approach by ensuring there is full healing when he sees even the smallest swelling/lump/etc. For me this is important as if you recall from my other posts, I had an infection leading up to LIS... so he is being very careful to make sure there is nothing there for any infection or AF to come back.
Again, feeling 98%, will be 100% I'm sure in 5-7 days.
I still eat healthy and only take 1 serving of benefiber before bed. I feel this acts like the "gel drano" for my system so first thing I do in the morning is my BM. Remember to keep drinking lots of water especially for people like me who live in the desert!
HAPPY HEALING TO ALL. PLEASE BE VIGILANT & YOU WILL WIN.
ss616
Salt Bather

Postby ss616 » 06 Jul 2011, 08:53

Hi Folks - the clock continues to click forward after the LIS. I thought I'd check in with all...
Pain: zero since LIS
However, in the last week (due to lot of travel and eating out) I have noticed that I get bright red blood during the first wipe. It doesn't hurt at all but of course it makes me nervous to see any blood.... wonder if I have another AF or something else? Either way, I think it's back to the CRS for me to get it checked out.
Hope all is well with everyone... this thing is the most mentally draining thing on the planet and wish everyone didn't have to deal with it at all.
ss616
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 06 Jul 2011, 13:09

Never heard about cauterization after LIS as a part of the healing process. What is it? Is it done under some anesthesia? My CRS never mentioned it.
ss, please update us after your CRS visit. I am 8 weeks after the surgery and continue bleeding from time to time. Good luck to you ss