Can't take it anymore!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Can't take it anymore!

Postby ren0318 » 11 May 2011, 06:11

WOW!! Thanks for all the replies...I've reached out on other forums before, but no one ever response...
You all are so just like me. You are also so correct in saying that no one understands what this is like unless they've been through it...I've only shared this with a few folks, but when I do try to vent, they look at me as though I'm making an mountain out of an ant hill !!!
As far as what I use for BM help, it's more like what I don't use....I use fiber tabs, powered fiber, mirlax, eat tons of veggies, I think...I've just recently figured out maybe what is contributing to my BM problems. Crestor. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid, I had read that, that can cause constipation, so I thought, great maybe that has been the problem this whole time. So I started the thyroid medicine about 4 weeks ago, at the same time I ran out of my Crestor (for cholesterol), I got really busy and failed to have it refilled, so the past 4 weeks I've gone like clock work, soft stool, and I didn't even have to use any extra fiber mixtures. Now last Friday I finally got my Crestor filled, then guess what happened? Yep you guessed, didn't have a BM for 2 days and then......had 2 days of " hard drops", then finally broke down and took some mirlax, and finally went yesterday morning!!! So I think its the Crestor to blame, I've been taking it about a year and a half, and that's when all this started....So today I see the CRS for my follow up, I'll let you know what happens. I also see my GP tomorrow for a follow up on the thyroid, and I'm going to talk to him about the Crestor!
Thanks again so much, I feel better just know I have folks to talk to about this!!!
Reno
ren0318
Salt Bather

Topics: 18

Postby Elphie » 11 May 2011, 10:02

It's good that you have an idea of what's causing the problem, maybe taking miralax regularly will counteract the constipation side effect. Post op I took an extra half dose for the same reason with the pain meds, which are notorious for causing constipation, and never had a hard stool. Since LIS, 2 weeks tomorrow, I have gotten back to life. I can go for walks, playing with my kids, no sex yet but soon, I was going to wait till follow up but may not be able to hold out that long...driving back to normal, today along with my three yr old I have my three yr old niece and we've been playing in the sandbox, I've been weeding my flower beds, I'm taking everything slow to heal but I think if I had to go back to the office I could've done it last week. The surgery gave me back my life. Bottom line.
I hope you have an understanding CRS and you are given the option, having my wisdom teeth removed was much harder than than LIS! Maybe the Crestor discovery has given you something to work on but in the meantime your fissure has become chronic, in my opinion only LIS works at this point, but everyone is different. I did discuss long term miralax use with my GP, the only thing she said was that I would probably have to gradually decrease to get off it and that's ok with me. I just had a few days of mild flu so I'm already down to 3/4 of a daily dose. There comes a point when you will do anything to end it, I think you're there.
We r here when you need us, do let us know how your appointments went today, hope it was all good! Hope you're all having a good butt day!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby frustrated » 11 May 2011, 15:31

ren0...I also discovered that I was hypothyroid and that may have started my downward spiral of constipation. But even when my counts became normal, my fissure wouldn't heal. I am 2 weeks post LIS and would be feeling great if I hadn't had a skin tag removal. That still hurts, but I can tell the fissure is MUCH better. Wish I would have done it sooner. Everything you said is very familiar...fissure running (or ruining) my life, no intimacy, miserable at work, throbbing, pain, pain, pain.
The doc told me to take 2 days off of work but, even w/out the skin tag issue, I'd say at least a week. More if your work is strenuous. The first BM wasn't as bad as feared because the internal sphincter muscle has been cut to give the area more stretch. I stayed off the pain pills and am still taking miralax.
I hope your appt. went well.
And yes, this forum is a godsend! Lot's of empathy going on here as well as useful info.
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby ren0318 » 12 May 2011, 06:49

Update: Dr was disappointed that I was still having so much pain. Also disappointed that it seems I can't get the nitro in there.. She did another examine and also a scope, ( did I mention she was out of numbing cream?) The scope showed (in her words) a pretty long fissure in there. So after lots of questions this is what was offered:
1. Try Canasa Suppositories.
2. Have a Colonscopy to make sure there is nothing else going on in there
3. Once that is done, proceed to LIS.
She said she would cotter (SP?) the fissure and remove scar tissue, cut the sp. muscle, and remove the skin tag. She says at this point the surgery is my best chance to heal it.
So I start the suppository last night, I must say that was interesting to say the least. Colonoscopy is scheduled for next Thursday, then I will see her one week after, if the Colonoscopy was fine and if the suppositories have not changed anything then at that appointment we will schedule the surgery.....probably for the following week.
This is just so crazy, question do any of you have pain in the bottom when you sneeze or cough with your fissure/tag? I do and man it hurts so now not only do I hurt to have a BM, I now dread a cough and sneeze!
I'll keep you posted. Going to the GP today for the thyroid follow up!
Have a non-pain day, Reno!
ren0318
Salt Bather

Topics: 18

Postby Elphie » 12 May 2011, 11:22

I also had the sneeze/ cough issue, after Botox those would cause "accidents" so I learned to sit to cough or sneeze. If you r nowhere near a chair, put one leg behind you like you're gonna curtsey, this stops it from putting pressure down there. I'm sure there's a few walmart shoppers wondering why the strange woman was curtseying to the shampoo but I didn't care as long as it prevented pain. I'm sure my sqirming scratching dancing from one foot to the other garnered some looks too but I'm hoping those days are behind me. I am officially two weeks post LIS and I feel completely normal again. I can even wipe with toilet paper again, haven't been able to do that for many months! I'm glad you're on the right track and I hope your colonoscopy goes well and you get good results!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby Guest » 12 May 2011, 12:24

I also can't take it anymore. I just have my fissure only 1.5 month, but two last weeks I have constant indescribable burning pain all day long. I can't move at all, all day I am sitting on the warm pad. Nothing help me, neither Nif, nor Rectogesic, nor warm baths. I almost do not eat, taking Miralex and drink a lot of water. I have 2 BM daily and it only increases my pain. I also had the sneeze/ cough issue. I am out of work almost 3 weeks. I really really depressed with this story. I can not understand how so many ppl on this forum suffered so many months and even years from this dragon.
I saw several CSRs, and both recommended only LIS, but I really afraid and do not know what to do. It is only 1.5 month I have AF, started treatment so quickly but nothing helps me so far..... Image

Postby Guest » 12 May 2011, 12:32

Just forgot to mention, may be some pain relieve I have from suppositories I prepare myself from butter....

Postby Deleted User 579 » 12 May 2011, 12:47

What you are describing is so familiar! I completely understand your pain and the depression too. I also had the cough/sneezing problem - basically everything hurt all the time. I took Elphie's advice and started using muscle relaxants (Robaxecet) and that helped. If your CRS thinks you need an LIS, then I would say do it. There are quite a number of success stories with that procedure and it does seem that it is the most effective way to deal with chronic fissures. That said, the ointments and/or botox have been known to work too, if you are determined and persistent. I just had my LIS and can already feel that things have loosened up. The burning has diminished dramatically and BMs are much easier. This is only day 2 post-op for me and I'll admit there is still some pain, but I'm looking forward to healing now, rather than just barely hanging on. I'd just say that an LIS is not the worst case scenario. It has given many people their lives back.
Sovel - please be careful putting any concoctions up there! The tissue is very delicate and can get inflammed easily, which can cause more problems. You especially don't want an infection.
I really hope you all find relief very soon! Image
Deleted User 579

Postby sidra1968 » 12 May 2011, 16:46

Sovel, glad to meet ya! No need to be afraid..it's a relative walk in the park compared to a fissure. I am always suprised how many people on here just put up with the pain, the ruined life, etc.
My posts and story are too old to be on here anymore, but to me it was either LIS or throw myself in front of a train (seriously), and I told the CRS that on a Friday and had it done the next Tuesday and haven't looked back since!
It's really a simple procedure, I was home by lunch and watching college basketball. The recovery can be kind of slow (to get to 95-100%), but again, STILL way better than any BM (and afterwards) with a fissure!
Think rationally, there's TONS of way worse operations (if you can call it that)..please don't suffer any longer than you have to! Those fissure days were the worst of my life and not a day goes by that I don't thank the stars that I do not have that pain anymore...I even sent my CRS a pic with me traveling 1/2 a year later to show him how I appreciated getting my life back and wasn't going to take it for granted.
Glad you found this site, sovel
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Elphie » 12 May 2011, 18:08

Sovel, it's true the LIS is so easy! Here in Canada it's a one day thing, I went to hospital by noon, home by 9pm, watching tv. First BM, I was so scared, no problem thank you miralax! The very next day I noticed the difference, pain from swelling, but the burning was GONE and has been ever since! One day and I got my life back. It's worth it, please don't be afraid and suffer! It works, it really does!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?