Ongoing problems

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Ongoing problems

Postby Bernie » 24 May 2011, 03:35

A few weeks ago I was ill with a d&v bug, so I stopped using the laxative until things got a bit firmer. I wasn't eating anything, but was making sure I drank lots, so I didn't get dehydrated. When I was feeling better, I started eating again, but still wasn't taking the movicol because I was still practically passing water. Then, without warning, I passed a 'normal' hard poo, and I re-tore and pain and blood everywhere. Image
Things are starting to get back to normal (for me - ie very soft BMs with little/no pain), but I've noticed that my perineum (I think, but it may be too close to the anus to be classed as that) is very sore, and if I pass a large BM, even if it is soft, it stretches and is really painful. It is also very painful when I wipe, even if I go as softly as I can. We were on holiday last week, and they had quilted toilet paper, but the bumps and ridges just made everything much more painful than the flat cheapy stuff we use at home.
Any ideas? Do I have to start carrying cotton wool around with me?
And, if that wasn't TMI-enough, then this surely will be. But we're all friends here, right? Has anyone (especially women) found the AF affects their sex life? Ok, I'm 9months post-birth, and very tired, and as I'm still breastfeeding, I don't often get the bed with just me and hubby. But, on the few occassions, when miracles do happen, I've had a bad bum-day, and even if I'm in the mood, I'm too scared that my bum may get knocked, especially now the skin inbetween is very sore and I can't stay in one position very long without aching back there, and it will be too painful. Image It is really dragging me down and I feel alone.
Sorry for the melancholy tone, I just needed to share.
On a different note, I've just noticed this smilie and it made me chuckle:
Bernie
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Ongoing problems

Postby Bernie » 24 May 2011, 03:52

And I just phoned my GP to make an appt (for something else, but I'm also running low of diltiazem) and the earliest they could give me was 10th June, and only then because it was a cancellation. Image I might phone back on Monday and ask for an emergency appt. The trouble is I'm *really* busy atm and have lost of other appts and things going on. Hmpf.
Bernie
Salt Bather

Postby seibei » 24 May 2011, 16:09

Give up anything with flour in it,it will reduce the size/width of your bowel movements.Secondly after you have finished your bowel movement.Wash your bum with hot water,it will sooth it and then 'pat' it down with toilet paper.wiping with toilet paper is a no,no.
seibei

Postby frustrated » 25 May 2011, 12:38

Hi Bernie...Sorry you are in such distress. Hopefully some of the threads on this site can help.
I agree with the no flour idea. I actually eat a little whole grain bread or pasta but not much. Protein (beans,chicken, fish), veggies and fruit are my staples now. I was eating too much fiber (40- 50 grams) for awhile and had enormous BMs even though I wasn't eating huge amts. of food.
Sex...my poor boyfriend...we have had sex maybe 6 times in 9 months...it IS tough to feel like having sex when you are in pain, not to mention scary. And you are a new mom so that's another stressor. Don't beat yourself up about the sex...or lack of sex. Hopefully, your hubby can be supportive and maybe you could "take care of him" in other ways. Don't want to offend anyone by being too literal here.
TP...Don't wipe, dab if necessary. Do you have a toilet seat sitz bath? I use it after every BM to cleanse the area before I jump in the tub. Make sure the water is very warm but not too hot to burn the tender areas.
If you are out of the house you can wet the tp with warm water and again...dab, don't wipe.
Take as many warm baths as you can...maybe you can take the baby in the tub with you sometimes since you sound like you don't have alot of free time.
If your GP can't help you go to a Colorectal surgeon (CRS)
They are the most knowledgable about fissures and the surgery LIS is not that bad. I wish I had done it sooner instead of suffering for 9 months. There are women with babies who have had the surgery on this site.
Scan the different threads on here and you will find that you aren't alone after all.
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby New mum » 25 May 2011, 21:27

hi bernie.....
i am 15months post birth and what sex life...... its maybe happened 3-4 times since all this crap. yes i am the same when the bed has no kids in it i am scared of how it could and will affect the area. my tear is on the vagina side so my areas are a bit tender 2. i also use warm water and cotton wool and take a little bad of cotton balls in my hand bag just in case.
have u seen a CRS yet?
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Bernie » 26 May 2011, 02:55

I finally saw the CRS on 14th April (until I just looked, I didn't realise it was so long ago!) who couldn't see any tears at all, but could see from how I was spasming when he did an internal that I do/did have AF. As he couldn't see anything, he wouldn't recommend botox (which I had with my first AF 3 yrs ago) or surgery. He did say that the ointment my GP had been pushing on me for months would, not only NOT do anything, but could make the AF worse because it should only be used for piles. Image I'm now on movicol and diltiazem (had bad headaches witht he rectogesic so needed it changed), and he said he'll see me again in 3 months to see if I've healed. So, I should be getting an appt through the post soon, for a month's time. Though I've no idea how he'll know whether I've healed or not, as he couldn't see the AF(s) when I clearly hadn't. Image
Bernie
Salt Bather