Not quite a follow up appointment

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Not quite a follow up appointment

Postby Deleted User 579 » 26 May 2011, 16:59

Well, I was supposed to go in for my two week follow-up today, but didn't quite make it. While I was waiting for the bus to take me to Toronto, I started feeling sick and wobbled to the bus station bathroom. My wonderful husband was worried about me and followed me, which was a good thing because he caught me just before I hit the floor! When I regained consciousness two women helped me to the bathroom where I tossed my cookies and then had diarrhea. Oh, what fun! (Happily, I had some privacy for the fun stuff.) I got a ride to the hospital in an ambulance and spent the day in emerg. The doc told me that my white blood cell count was a bit high and my blood pressure was very low. I told her about my LIS and she checked me for infection - she didn't see any signs of infection there, so she thinks I might have caught a bug, or my blood pressure is too low, or I'm malnurished, or all of the above. Now I have to reschedule the follow-up for next week - we'll be driving to Toronto. That way if I puke, poop, and pass out, at least I won't miss my appointment!
I had a bit of a crappy day Image
hopefully I'll be able to report on a good follow-up next week.
Deleted User 579

Re: Not quite a follow up appointment

Postby happyass » 26 May 2011, 17:04

i hope u feel better hopetoheal.
try to pamper yourself over the weekend with some good food, nice soaks in the bath tub.....
maybe with your bp low, would it be safe for you to be soaking in hot/warm water for long periods of time? do you add epsom salts to the bath? double check with doctor if doing these combined is safe.
when the doc checked you for infection, did she do an anoscopy to check inside?
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Deleted User 579 » 26 May 2011, 17:26

hey HappyAss - Good point - I should check with my doc about the warm baths. I don't use epsom salts - perhaps I'll give that a try. I've always had low bp, and I'm prone to fainting and dizzy spells. I suppose it doesn't help that I've lost about 15lbs over the last few months.
The doc didn't check inside - she just opened me a bit digitally and poked around gently and said she didn't see any redness or other signs of infection, but I should keep my eyes open for redness, swelling and/or pus. I won't feel like I'm infection-free until that's confirmed at the follow-up, with a proper scope inspection. I know, from reading this board, that infections can be easy to miss, so I'm a bit anxious right now (and I was going to change my mood!) I'll just keep a close eye on things and go back to the hospital if things start to look and feel funky.
Deleted User 579

Postby frustrated » 27 May 2011, 18:54

Hope...do you have a temperature? Usually that is a telling sign for infection. How are you feeling now? The nurse did ask me about nausea and vomiting yesterday...which I haven't had. It may have been a combo of lack of food, low bp, and a little worry??? I hope that's all it is.
The surgeon didn't scope me yesterday, just took a look and said it looked how he would expect at this time.
I saw a scope sitting out but he didn't even use it. Not that I am complaining.
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby RedCharger » 27 May 2011, 19:27

Wow! Just saw this thread, glad to hear your doing better. I also hope your check up next week with Dr Death goes well.
RedCharger
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby val » 28 May 2011, 11:32

What a horrible thing to happen, hope you feel better soon, and good luck for your appointment next week.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 May 2011, 12:48

Thanks everyone for your good wishes :D I am feeling better today. I have a bit more energy and I'm not feeling quite so weak.
Frustrated - thanks for asking about a fever. That didn't occur to me. I took my temp this morning and there is no fever, so I feel a bit better. Still slightly anxious, but better! I do think it may have been the low bp, not enough food, and very likely also anxiety. I wonder if it's possible that my body just revolted at the idea of returning to the clinic??? I've learned from this whole AF experience not to underestimate what anxiety can do to my body!
It sounds like you are healing well, Frustrated - that's wonderful! Are you still having pain? I'm glad you didn't need to get scoped!
Thanks for the good luck wishes, RC. I'm avoiding Dr. Death; instead I'll be seeing Dr. Killbutt!
I'll let you know how it goes. :)
Deleted User 579

Postby Savaici » 28 May 2011, 17:42

Did not notice your post until now. Do hope you're feeling better. And the very best of luck with your follow-up. Glad you're not seeing the same doctor from hell. Dr. Killbutt sounds like fun fun fun. Will be thinking of you. Em
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Deleted User 579 » 29 May 2011, 15:22

Thanks so much, Em!
How are you doing these days?
Deleted User 579

Postby New mum » 29 May 2011, 18:46

oh Hopetoheal that sucks you poor thing.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38