Post LIS symptoms

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Post LIS symptoms

Postby New mum » 29 May 2011, 18:52

congrats on your Lis noddzy. hope you are healing well!
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby mbpaul » 29 May 2011, 20:53

Hi Noddzy, whatever way you decide to go, remember that vicodine and other prescription painkillers tend to cause constipation. Further, they should only be use if needed. Therefore, if OTC painkiller can do the trick, then, make the switch.
My CRs did say that very light bleeding post-LIS was no big deal. For some people, the AF heals faster than the surgeon's cut, for others - like me - its vice versa.
I'm sure that pretty sure that soon, all this will be like a distant nightmare!
mbpaul
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Elphie » 31 May 2011, 08:42

I was off the percosets after day three, went back to my old combo of ibuprofen and robaxacet, but I took extra miralax to counteract the constipation caused by the pain meds. I was SO afraid of that first BM, it took two days but it was totally fine, I hope you are already feeling better. Once you get past the first one you don't worry as much. I think for awhile, my anxiety was preventing my poop! Now, going to the bathroom is not a sweat on the brow experience! You'll get there...
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby noddzy » 01 Jun 2011, 06:04

Elphie, thanks for the recommendations. I have started taking ibuprofen--but when not having a BM, the pain is not so much that I feel I should take any pain medication. However, on Day4 and Day5 (today), I had soft(ish) BMs which caused a stinging pain after the action--which left me longing for painkillers. Did you take the painkillers daily (what frequency ?) whether you had pain or not ? Since Ibuprofen should not be taken on an empty stomach, I am thinking that I should take 2 ibuprofen a day after meals...Anyone else had the post BM stinging pain at the inflammation site( this is not like anal fissure pain, but the intensity is quite high)
noddzy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Deleted User 579 » 01 Jun 2011, 10:27

Hi Noddzy - congratulations on your LIS! It sounds like you are healing very well and getting great advice too!
I had stinging sensations after BMs too, but they've diminished quite a bit now that I'm three weeks post-LIS. I found that there were two reasons for the stinging: one was that my butt was still mildly spasming - it took about a week for these mild spasms to go away. In this case the sensations was more of a generalized burning feeling (not nearly as bad as pre-LIS, but still there). When this happened, I tool a robaxecet and that really helped.
The other reason for stinging was I wasn't quite clean. In this case, the stinging was more localized at the fissure site. (I also had some skin tags removed, so that contributes to the stinging as well.)
How are you cleaning after a BM? I found that if I clean very carefully but thoroughly after a BM, the stinging isn't nearly so bad. I soak baby wipes or three-ply toilet paper with warm water and gently dab my butt, trying gently to get a little bit inside - not far, but enough to get the stool that's still sitting on the anal verge (gently!) - sometimes I have to use a mirror. Then I soak in warm water for a bit and then I shower. I arch my back and spread my butt cheeks so that a gentle spray cleans my butt. I just use luke-warm water. That helps get rid of any particles that might still be there, and it's very soothing on the butt. I then let things air dry. This didn't always completely remove the stinging during the first few days, but it really helped; after the first week, it always worked to reduce or eliminate the stinging. Basically, I found that if I felt localized stinging it was usually because I wasn't quite completely clean (it took a while to figure how to clean up - what a challenge!). This happens, I think, because soft stools can be a bit messy!
I hope that helps! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby Elphie » 01 Jun 2011, 17:57

I took 1 extra strength ibuprofen and one extra strength generic robaxacet first thing when I woke up, usually had by BM soon after. For a week or two I did this every morning, I would only take a second dose if I had any pain when it wore off. This happened twice while I had the flu and was going alot. Since then, I take it rarely but five weeks out, I only have very mild pain and only when I overdo it. After the last year, it's nothing, believe me!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby noddzy » 02 Jun 2011, 06:11

Thanks for the good and detailed advice hopetoheal and Elphie...really appreciate it :) Still have a lot of stinging pain while doing a BM (day 6)...but hope it is going to get better :)
noddzy
Fibre Addict

Postby noddzy » 03 Jun 2011, 14:01

Question for the kind folks here :
Did people have some pain with passing gas after the LIS ? Sometimes it seems to be a bit of a sharp pain which makes me wonder if this is caused by the fissure or by the wound of the LIS ?
Also , do people know if the site of the LIS is the same as the fissure itself: in other words are you able to tell after the surgery, where your fissure was and where the pain from the surgical cut is coming from ?
I am at the end of the first week after surgery. Am better than a few days ago, but still stinging pain after a BM, and some pain from flatulence (which worries me a bit)
noddzy
Fibre Addict

Postby Elphie » 03 Jun 2011, 18:33

Well, I do find that when my gas came out quickly or unexpectedly, like during a cough or sneeze it would hurt a little and still does sometimes in the morning if I'm tender. I'm five weeks out from LIS.
My fissure is at twelve o'clock (assuming 12 is by tailbone?)and my LIS incision is on the left side, at 9. My pain is not near the fissure, it's on the side but inside. I had some little hems snipped too so could be that. At a week I was having all sorts of stretching, itching, pain at odd times, it still adjusting and healing, I felt a little better everyday, but was doing most things by week two.
Don't worry, you'll get there, it's just a tough area to heal cuz we have to use it daily!
Elphie
Fissureologist